Use of turn signals-- or lack thereof.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Use of turn signals-- or lack thereof.

Hi.
    Today, at 10:30 this morning, I was driving south on Keitzke, at Neil Road. I noticed a Washoe County Sheriff turning left towards the freeway.
    He was not using his turn signals to make the left turn, nor did he use them to turn onto the freeway.
    Last week I noticed the same thing occurring with an NHP trooper down in Douglas County. I called the watch commander, as it's really disconcerting to see law enforcement officers not using their singals to make lane changes, turns, etc...
    As a former truck driver, I learned a long time ago the reason, and purpose for turn signals, and have made it a practice to do so in my private driving ever since.
    When I spoke with the NHP watch commander, he informed me that since they don't use their turn signals, they no longer ticketed for it-- a sense of hypocrisy, as he put it.
    I proceeded to explain to him my background, and frustration of having to drive around people who don't use their signals, for anything. I have no idea who's going where, until they try to do so, and quite frankly, as I'm sure you know, it can get pretty damn scary, real fast! And what's worse, is that they start yelling, using sign language of all sorts to let you know that they wanted to be where they thought no one was, until they saw you-- the driver.
    I get that we get busy, too many activities while driving-- eating, talking on the cel phone, listening to the radio, ad infinitum. However, as a former truck driver, I've also seen what can happen when two people not paying attention hit one another. And neither used a turn signal.
    As a tax payer, I am grateul for the job you guys do. God knows that without you, we'd be living in a far worse society, or anarchy to the nth degree. However, as a taxpayer, I expect to know that when I'm around your deputies, I can feel safe because everything is done to ensure it. This morning, I felt a whole lot less safe because he was not using his signals, either before, or after be got on the freeway. Nor did he use them getting off of the freeway, until he turned left at 341 towards VC.
    Perhaps he is an excellent driver- I know law enforcement officers get tons of driving practice/training. But seeing an increasing number of police, sheriff, and NHP Troopers not using their turn signals is really making me wonder. It's bad enough that the public doesn't use them, but when you guys stop, where to next?
    I for one have been considering writing to automakers for the sole purpose of having them no longer put turn signals on vehicles.
    The license plate of the deputy this morning was: 040.
    I'd really appreciate it if your watch commander, or leuitenant would make monthly reminders to the officers on using their turn signals- consistently.
    I'm sure it'll piss off more than a few deputies. I can still remember how irritated I was when I was first informed that I needed to do so, some twenty three years ago. But for the safety of drivers surrounding your deputies, please..... begin using the turn signals again.
    Best Regards,
    SteveB.

Lack of turn signal

Thanks for the info. This was passed on to the division commander.

Re: Use of turn signals-- or lack thereof.

I know this is an old post, but please, you have nothing better to do than complain about a cop not using his turn signal? Get a life!

Oh please Britcop! Any police officer is more than happy to write you up for "Failure to signal" causing to pay a hefty fine, take time out of your life to go to traffic school or court, have the ticket go on your record, etc. Why shouldn't they be held to the same standards? What makes them above the law in using their turn signals? Because they;re law enforcement? Then what's to stop them from walking into a restaurant, eating then walking out because they have a badge? Where does it stop, just because they have a badge? If they can give us a ticket with such glee, as I've seen many of them to, then we should be able to point the finger at them and have them cited. make them pay the fine, etc. Especially for something that they could have just given us a warning for and chose not to because it doesn't look as good for them. I, for one, will do everything I can to make it known when a cop breaks the law, even for something as minor as a turn signal.

We moved to San Mateo from another state a couple years ago and I am constantly annoyed by the lack of turn signal use in the Bay Area. Most drivers don't seem to give a crap about anyone on the road other than themselves. It creates very unsafe driving conditions because drivers are unaware of what move everyone else on the road is about to make. I think the county needs to crack down and start ticketing people for not using their turn signals so that everyone is safer on the roads. You have a turn signal for a reason so use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fed up in CA
    Oh please Britcop! Any police officer is more than happy to write you up for "Failure to signal" causing to pay a hefty fine, take time out of your life to go to traffic school or court, have the ticket go on your record, etc. Why shouldn't they be held to the same standards? What makes them above the law in using their turn signals? Because they;re law enforcement? Then what's to stop them from walking into a restaurant, eating then walking out because they have a badge? Where does it stop, just because they have a badge? If they can give us a ticket with such glee, as I've seen many of them to, then we should be able to point the finger at them and have them cited. make them pay the fine, etc. Especially for something that they could have just given us a warning for and chose not to because it doesn't look as good for them. I, for one, will do everything I can to make it known when a cop breaks the law, even for something as minor as a turn signal.
    Obviously you're just another cop hater. The simple fact of the matter is that most cops don't write tickets for such minor offenses. You may get pulled over for speeding, and depending on your attitude you may get a lessor ticket for a turn signal violation instead of the speeding ticket, but getting pulled over simply for failing to signal, then getting ticketed for it is rare (unless of course you talk yourself into the ticket, which I suspect may be the case with you). As for the remark you made about cops walking into restaurants, eating and then walking out without paying because they have a badge - are you really that dumb?

Re: Lack of turn signal

Quote Originally Posted by mod183
    Thanks for the info. This was passed on to the division commander.
    i just got a ticket for not signal lane dhange the ticket is 95$ so we dont stop for that is a lie!!!

How was your attitude when stopped, hmm?

I just got pulled over by a motorcycle cop in Clark county for a turn signal violation. I was kind, I pointed out that I use my signals and he must be mistaken. He ticketed me and then measured the window tint and claimed that was too dark so ticketed that too. not speeding or anything. (bought car from dealership)

However, he himself had just jerked onto the highway from another stop without his blinker to pull me over and after my ticket he jerked out without a blinker and pulled over someone else within like 1000 feet. It was clearly quota night. How absurd

Yes

+1. this is very interesting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast