Something P&P needs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Something P&P needs

Story by local10.com

More than 6,500 law enforcement officials in Florida will now be able to communicate with other law enforcement agencies in Tallahassee, Hialeah or anywhere else in the state.

Gov. Jeb Bush was in Miami on Friday to announce the implementation of a statewide law enforcement radio system, nicknamed SLERS.

"Now we can safely say that this telecommunications system will allow for the first responders to come and be able to provide the kind of support's that necessary in the first 48 hours without interruption," Bush said.

With SLERS, officers will be able to communicate, regardless of where they are, with other law enforcement officials in all 67 counties in Florida.

"I couldn't communicate when I went from the west coast to the east coast in the state of Florida because we're on different radio systems," Florida Highway Patrol Col. Chris Knight said. "This nullifies all that."

SLERS covers about 59,000 square miles and can even stretch about 25 miles off Florida's coast.

"This technology, which is one of a kind in terms of its statewide exposure -- we're the only state that has it -- will save lives," Bush said.

SLERS is also capable of sending encrypted messages for even greater security.

The state's price tag is $300 million over the next 20 years of the contract.

And why would P&P need this? We are not law enforcement in the true sense (depsite what statute says) and we are not first responders. Any communications we need between ourselves can be handles with a cell phone. Personally, I would be mush more satisfied if the department would replace my desk chair, I had to superglue the arm back in yesterday. The sad thing is, I"M SERIOUS!!!!!!

And why would P&P need this? We are not law enforcement in the true sense (depsite what statute says) and we are not first responders. Any communications we need between ourselves can be handled with a cell phone. Personally, I would be much more satisfied if the department would replace my desk chair, I had to superglue the arm back in yesterday. The sad thing is, I"M SERIOUS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers
    And why would P&P need this? We are not law enforcement in the true sense (depsite what statute says) and we are not first responders. Any communications we need between ourselves can be handled with a cell phone. Personally, I would be much more satisfied if the department would replace my desk chair, I had to superglue the arm back in yesterday. The sad thing is, I"M SERIOUS!!!!!!
    Good points, we don't need radios you can just call 911 on your cell phone for an arrest or bad situation. One situation every 3 years in the whole dept. does not justify using radios in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers
    Any communications we need between ourselves can be handles with a cell phone.
    Potentially not true.

Some of the most dangerous assignments probation officers have is field contacts in apartment complexes that are havens for gang and drug activity. In these instances, the officer often has to leave his/her vehicle far from the actual residence to make a contact.

An officer can emerge from an apartment only to find a group of persons with criminal intent surrounding their vehicle, leaving the officer potentially without a vehicle in a high crime area. Or worse; the crowd there could potentially be targeting the officer (whose car they recognize because he/she violated their friend/family member/fellow gang member, etc.

In cases such as this, a cellphone is of little good. A CPO in that instance needs BACKUP and it's needed NOW. (Visualize what it would be like to use your cellphone for backup in a tense situation.) Yes, you can use your firearm (if certified), but (A) you will then be in for the hassle of your life if you have to fire it, (B) you will be open to the most scrutinizing investigations, (C) you will likely not have witnesses supporting you; the residents of the area are likely to turn against you, and (D) whether the plaintiffs succeed or not, you can almost assure yourself that you will be civilly sued. (I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6, but I'd also rather not be in the situation where I had to decide that in the first place.)

Police officers and Sheriff's deputies, by the way, think we are a little nuts to do what we do and go where we go, some without a firearm. The concept of team supervision, going out in the field alone, is honored in the breach and not the observance. This system can't hurt, and, yes, we DO have a real need for it.

whatever

a few wantabees would love to be lumped in with the real guys but sorry your not and you will never be considered a real leo. if you want to be a real leo try and join the force if you can. if you can guess what you willl have a better job and will be able to make lots more money. :lol:

Re: whatever

Quote Originally Posted by holy smokes willy
    a few wantabees would love to be lumped in with the real guys but sorry your not and you will never be considered a real leo. if you want to be a real leo try and join the force if you can. if you can guess what you willl have a better job and will be able to make lots more money. :lol:
    Almost all would be hired - so why don't they go - I don't understand the thinking of these want to be Cops. Nothing against Cops they are good people - so go and be one.

problem is...they can't be one. that's why the post crap-ass nonsense on this site over and over again. I'm guessing it's the same three or four people, just judging by the poor grammar and spelling, but it could be more. Now, I just laugh at those who hate it here so much, but have no balls to leave. Life must truly suck for those people. Pity, pity. So, just sit back and read the endless banter of "oh I wish" from the groupies. The rest at least have the intestinal fortitude to leave and pursue the career they really want. I can respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by FL Gal
    problem is...they can't be one. that's why the post crap-ass nonsense on this site over and over again. I'm guessing it's the same three or four people, just judging by the poor grammar and spelling, but it could be more. Now, I just laugh at those who hate it here so much, but have no balls to leave. Life must truly suck for those people. Pity, pity. So, just sit back and read the endless banter of "oh I wish" from the groupies. The rest at least have the intestinal fortitude to leave and pursue the career they really want. I can respect that.
    The ones I know never apply and the ones that did were hired. You are probably right on a few of them.

I personally think it is some mental thing stopping them mostly.

WE ARE ONE

On July 29th, 2006 several officers from various agencies will be working together to host a dinner in support of the National Fallen Officers Memorial in Washington D.C.

In hopes of making this event as profitable as possible we are reaching out to the law enforcement community to assist with the silent auction portion of the event. We are looking for donations of any type that can be used as a silent auction item. Gift certificates, memorabilia, vouchers, etc. We would welcome anything that would help in support of the Memorial.

If you are able to help or can recommend a contact please E-mail Officer Jim Rexroad at jrexroad@pinellas-park.com or call (727)541-0758. Thanks in advance for any and all you may be able to provide. Details on the dinner will be sent out at a later date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast