why cant you talk to that dealer

why cant you talk to that dealer

if you call us and say hey that guy over there is selling crack? do i have the right to go to him and say " hey whats in your pockets" ? "are you selling crack? whats your name ? " NO I DONT ?

just kinda curious how come you cant talk to this guy .... you can walk up and talk to anyone......... so how about you go talk to that drug dealer next time and do somethin

Re: why cant you talk to that dealer

Quote Originally Posted by why cant you talk to him
    if you call us and say hey that guy over there is selling crack? do i have the right to go to him and say " hey whats in your pockets" ? "are you selling crack? whats your name ? " NO I DONT ?

just kinda curious how come you cant talk to this guy .... you can walk up and talk to anyone......... so how about you go talk to that drug dealer next time and do somethin
    That's sort of like when we get a call from a citizen who says that he sees cars coming & going at all hours of the night & day at a certain house and he believes that drug dealing is happening. Yeaa, he's right, drug dealing is going on -- and I believe him. Unfortunately, this thing called the "constitution" prevents me from going to the house and kicking in the door and taking everybody to jail -- based on the testimony of the complainant. There's really not much we can do in a case like that, except forward the information to narcotics (I'm not going to go into detail on that at a public forum). Lots of times, citizens expect instant action from uniformed officers, but it's just not going to happen!!! :?

Because everyone in Bradenton wants to remain anonymous. Those are useless complaintants, if you don't believe me call the SAO. We should stop taking anonymous calls.

FYI

Sure you can talk to anyone accused of doing anything, citizen complaints are not the stongest. Corroborate their story first. For instance, watch the suspected drug dealer to see if the complaint is even valid. The more reason you have to bump it from a consensual encounter to a reasonable suspicion encounter is what the SAO wants. That still does not mean that they will file, just do the most you can first.

Senario: B/m on the corner wearing blue jeans white shirt selling s 57. Officer arrives, 5 b/m match description. Officer makes conatct with two b/m other 3 walk away. One subject has s57 on them, t15. Case goes to sao, decline to file. Reason: the anonymous complaintant did not provide specific information about the subject selling the s57, therfore the information is not valid. Oh yes this is real. It is not just how you make your case but why you came into contact with that subject. Anonymous complaintant are useless, if they don't want to 56 to point out the subject than tell them if they won't get involved we can only do so much.

might learn something

go to one of dc rashard's classes at hcc. that man has every case law memorized and is a master when it comes to finding ways around laws,,, you might learn something little different from the drug dealer dealing in a house rather than the street......... you have the right to talk to anyone however they have the right to tell you to stick it up your rear.

Even if you do everything right, the SAO still won't file. Half a kilo of cocaine falls out of your lap when you bail out of a car? Decline. "Borrow" someone else's pants and they forgot their vile of rock in the pants with your keys? Decline. You could do everything by the book, but unless the SAO has everything handed to them on a silver platter and they can plea it out, they aren't going to file. That's why we have these dealers back out on the street on the time. It's not that we aren't doing our job...we are. They're the ones who aren't. So why not bring that guy to jail who is standing on the corner selling rock? You can beat the rap, but not the ride. After being here this long and having the SAO decline on everything from S57 to 38's, I just don't care about it anymore. And that's the sad part about it.

Good point, no argument here.

No matter how you look at it, the SAO will drop the case. They have so mannnnnnyyyyy misd. cases coming in every day, they look for reasons to discharge anything so that it can lighten their work load

Felony also....