$14,000

Thread: $14,000

$14,000

just saw where Largo will charge Belleair $14K per month to run their dept. Whats up with that?

take over

Is that just to take them over (overlook their current officer's) Or for Largo to start providing law enforcement services to their city? 168 thousand a year for Largo isn't worth it. I'd take the S. O. then you get the Eagle and ID as part of the contract. A reliable dispatch and the deputies, who have lap top's with facial Rec as well as David. If Largo took over you still have to contract with the S.O. for eagle and Id Which will drive the cost up even more. No I don't work for PCSO.

Eagle

When are you going to figure out that there is a county wide tax that is paid to the Sheriff's Office even by city residents for county wide services, such as the Eagle, Jail, Marine, etc. Then there is the MSTU that is paid by unincorporated residents for Sheriff's patrol, and then there is contract services paid by cities who choose to be patrolled by the S.O. To offer contract services and proclaim that the cities will get extras THAT THEY ALREADY PAY FOR, such as the Eagle is inaccurate. They already pay for it and receive it.

How it works

Each city that chooses to use the S.O. eagle and Forensics services, have a contract. The contract set's the fee's the city will pay for using them. like at the park we are not very friendly on calling Forensic's, why because it cost us money. Was your bid for a total take over off their city? Can your department afford to buy another 2 computers for the extra 2 cruiser's needed? If I was the city I would go with the S.O. they already have Mad Beach, Seminole, Johns Pass, Redinton, and God know all the little beach city's that I can't think of. If something happens in there city they will have more deputies there with in 2 min. than the city has residents. I'm not saying Largo is a bad Department, however you can provide the same services that the S.O. can. They have more troops, big wallet and more equipment.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant
    Just to clarify, Cities do pay for contracts regarding Forensics if they have their own PDs.

NO PD has to pay EXTRA for law enforcement mutual aid services such as Flight, K9, Marine, Central Breath Testing, etc.

If you believe that your agency gets a bill when they ask for these services, please do a public records request at the respective city or at PCSO and post those documents on this site. You won't find them because they don't exist.

The previous poster was mostly correct on the tax structure including countywide taxes that ALL residents pay. The countywide taxes cover the Sheriff's services such as Bailiffs, Detention Deputies, Civil, Fugitive, Sexual Predator Tracking, Alternative Sentencing, Juvenile Assessment Center, etc. Also, cities don't HAVE to pay for law enforcement contracts. They could just fold up shop at their PD's and let the Sheriff know it's now his problem to provide enforcement services. What the contract provides is guaranteed warm bodies in green & whites in their city every day. The alternative would be to allow the Sheriff to decide how to distribute manpower in the areas concerned.
    Ten6Niner for Sheriff in 2012!

The 14k is for supervision and management of the BPD while the elected officials try to decide wether to seek a new chief or contract with PCSO. LPD did the first 3 months as mutual aid, but Largo taxpayers won't do it for free forever.

Ten six-niner is on the money reference what PCSO provides countywide. If you think PDs pay for Eagle or some of the other services you're wrong. Also, cities without a PD get PCSO as 69'r explained. PCSO forensics is second to none. I don't think any PD minds paying for the best crime scene folks around. Fact is though that the new mobile lab was paid for with Homeland Security $$, so it has to be available to anyone in the region.

The jail, courthouse, marine, flight, SPOT, civil, fugitive, etc. are all funded by county taxes. Contract cities would get that stuff anyway. Largo manages the Belleair and Bluffs FDs, so the PD is no problem.

lol

Your department can't even manage your own department. You think watching 3 officer is worth 14k a month????????????