Professional Courtesy - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Professional Courtesy

Years ago, when I was a federal agent working in DC, one of my guys was driving back from Williamsburg about eleven at night with no other traffic on the road when he was stopped by a Virginia State Trooper for speeding. The passenger in the car, who was also an agent, pointed out to the trooper that WE were the people who he could count on to stop and give aid if we ever saw him or any trooper in distress because we shared the brotherhood of the badge.

The trooper replied that "Around DC everyone has a badge. If we didn't write them we wouldn't be writing many tickets." Then he wrote the ticket.

-------------------------

My own experience was when the VSP Headquarters granted federal agents in unmarked cars to drive in the HOV lane even if there was only one person in the car if we put our red light on the dashboard. The troopers greatly resented this permission.

One morning I was enroute to work in the HOV lane, going about 8 mph over the limit. A VSP trooper pulled up behind me and tailgated me, apparently intending to intimidate me into slowing down. He did not stop me.

A couple of days later the agent in charge of my office told me that the trooper had called the office to complain about me. He lied about how fast I was going and claimed that the only reason he did not stop me was that he was late for court. I had my speedometer checked and verified that the speed I was going was correct. His attempt to get me in trouble with my boss failed. My boss also used the HOV lane to go to work in the mornings and also knew that the troopers resented our use of the lane.

----------------------------------

One afternoon one of the agents who worked for me was driving home when he felt an overpowering headache. For safety's sake he pulled off onto the shoulder of the road to rest for a few minutes to see if it would pass.

A VSP trooper stopped behind him and approached to see what was wrong. My agent showed his badge and explained that he had a terrible headache and had stopped to be safe. He felt the headache would pass soon. THE TROOPER MADE HIM BLOW AN ALCOHOL BREATH TEST. When the agent passed the test with a reading of NO ALCOHOL the trooper made no offer to give further assistance, but got back in his car and drove off. Disappointed, no doubt, that he was unable to arrest a federal agent.

---------------------------

Sadly, I have no respect for VSP troopers. They are a sorry lot.

:?

Re: professional courtesy

Quote Originally Posted by cops-cop
    I was issued a ticket by a VSP Trooper two years ago. I did show my Police ID but it didn't matter. Up north, cops don't write cops tickets! Period! When you're getting your A** kicked on the side of the highway, who do you think is going to stop. I sure will because were supposed to be a brotherhood. You wouldn't write a family member a ticket would you? If you would then you're an idiot. Anyway, I have been shot at, assaulted etc all while protecting and serving so I don't think its a big deal to be given a break on a speeding ticket. Those are the only laws I would ever violate. Now guys, don't tell me you guys don't violate traffic laws either. Any VSP troopers I stop in my jursidiction are immediately written for every single violation I can find. As far as I'm concerned, they are no longer in the brotherhood. PS. I paid my ticket and I'm sure that money went right into the tax coffers.

I used to be with VSP and originally from the North and a good portion of the cops from up north blow through Virginia, then flip their badges out, with an attitude right from the start of being pulled over. I had NYPD come through at 95 and when I put my lights on, all I saw were badges pushed up against the rear window and the driver accelerated. Needeless to say I chewed him for it. This behavior is unacceptable and I wouldnt dare pull this if I was ever stopped in another area. Its unprofessional. Lets reverse the situation and I did this in your area, would you put up with it?

I only wrote ONE LEO a summons and it was an accident because I was not aware she was a LEO until after the stop. On several occassions I had heard about VSP being notorious about writing cops tickets, and I know of only a couple of people that have or will. To be honest i can understand why now after making the stops myself as to why they do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123