Useless Agency
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless Agency

Useless Agency

Does this Agecny even need to exist? As a taxpayer I want my money to be spent on crime prevention and resolutions rather than an unneeded dog and pony show! From reading several postings by employees, I feel the need to call my State Rep. and request that the funding be diverted to more useful causes! For the record, no I'm not a disgruntled employee , just a curious business owner.

Believe it or not, this agency does need to exist. There are a lot of environmental criminals out there and a lot of good officers here who would like to be doing our jobs. But we can't because the present director is the one who made this a dog and pony show from day one. That's what happens when a political wiseguy is allowed to manage a law enforcement agency. You'd have a stroke if I told you how much money he and his cronies waste. But If I did that, they'd figure out who I am. I'd lose my job and my home and probably have to file for bankruptcy. If other people didn't depend on me for food and shelter, I'd say "screw it", tell you everything, and personally drive you to your State Reps office. But don't kid yourself. Whistle blower laws are just about useless. And remember this. The fact that many of us are disgruntled isn't nearly as important as the reasons why. Being disgruntled doesnt' mean we're not doing the best we can under adverse conditions.

If you think DEP is bad, go read some of the other boards from agencies...I would point you in the direction of my agency board but some who read this might put two and two together. I think you could find alot better things to complain about to our rep then how much good DEP does. I think their are more serious issues in our state.

Iagree

I am not a FDEP Officer and I do think the agency is needed, however an overhaul of the management needs to be presented, thats obvious look at the morale just on here.

We are very needed, do your home work before trying to slam the agency. Our Bureau of Park Patrol has one of the highest arrest records based on the number of people they incounter.

We are the ones that go it alone... Our back-up is sometimes 30 minutes out on a good day, but yet we still hold our ground.

I'll leave you with this " We may be a small agency, but we cut a large path as we come through." If you still doubt us check with all those agencies and area's that we assisted during the recent years involving Hurricanes. We have the tools and the will-power to not only get the job done, but we also care about those we assist, from a small child caught in a rip-tide to the victims of natural disasters. Think about it, we go from traffic enforcement, to 4x4 vehicle patrol to running deep water sometimes miles out and back to poacher details and we can be called on to do this at anytime of the day. How many Troopers have the training and ability to do this? Not many.

If you still feel like getting rid of us, take it on step further, come out and do a ride-a-long and see the real Park Patrol in action.

to yes you need us!

Everything you wrote about can be carried out by other Agencies, (Sheriffs, FWCC). You proved my point, I don't want my money thats being set aside for polluters and dumpers to be spent on traffic enforcement!!!!

I guess your dumb and didn't read the posts above. Go do a ride along if you think they do nothing. SO wouldnt touch a state park or get involved in anything that required them to do more then respond to a call. Maybe you should take a look at where your taxdollars are being spent....because if your paying my salary, no wonder I make less then a shoe salesman. Im sorry buddy but your barking up the wrong tree.

You make a some fair points. But the problem isn't with the concept of our agency. The problem is with the execution of the concept by management. Our boss isn't a cop who worked his way to the top. He's politician who had no environmental law enforcement background before getting the job. He doesn't understand cops and he doesn't know to successfully manage a law enforcement agency or its officers. His second in command isn't a cop. He's a lawyer and longtime personal friend of the boss. How do you think he got the job? These guys don't care about putting polluters and dumpers in jail. They're too busy putting on a dog and pony. If you don't think the agency is doing a good job, please don't blame those of us who work in the field. We're doing the best we can considering how badly managed we are. I'm sure we could do a lot better if this place was run like a real law enforcment agency instead of the bosses personal public relations firm.

If you think that the DEP is mismanaged, read the posts on the Charlotte County Sheriff board, or the ones on the Sarasota Sheriff board. They make the DEP look much better.

Took your advice and read the cc and sc boards. They didn't look as bad to me as they apparently do to you. But for arguments sake let's say they were. It proves my point. Sheriff's are elected and have enormous power, and power corrupts. It's like meth. They get addicted to it and it warps their values and judgment. Now consider our former three term small county sheriff whose political friends got him put in charge of our division. What a rush that must been. He hasn't come back to earth yet.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast