From the Sun-Sentinel:

Belle Glade votes to pursue deal with PBSO in wake of chief's suspension

By Leon Fooksman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 9 2006

BELLE GLADE -- The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office was poised to take over the troubled Belle Glade Police Department today if requested, but city leaders decided Thursday they first needed a proposed contract before considering a merger.

The City Commission held a special meeting in the wake of last week's scathing grand jury report that resulted in the suspension of Police Chief Albert Dowdell and Sgt. Jeffers Walker. Investigators determined the two mismanaged a nightclub shooting investigation.

LocalLinks

Hours earlier, acting Chief Calipto Gonzalez said he was subpoenaed by the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office to show how his department processes and stores crime evidence. The inquiry follows a February break-in at the old police building in which at least 100 guns were stolen.

Deputies, crime scene technicians and other Sheriff's Office personnel were prepared to begin patrolling and investigating crime in the city by midday if commissioners wanted their service immediately, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said.

They didn't, but voted 3-0 to begin serious negotiations next week to hand over the duties of the 32-officer department.

Before the meeting started, Commissioner Gwendolyn Asia-Williams walked off the dais to protest Bradshaw not discussing the potential contract in public.

"Let them see the process," Asia-Williams said, who also worried the city was moving too fast. "There are financial things they haven't considered. They haven't examined statistics to see if crime has gone down in South Bay."

Vice Mayor Don Garrett, however, felt leaders needed to ensure the public's safety.

"We've got to do something," said Garrett, whose comments were greeted by loud murmurs from dozens in the crowd. "What have we got to do? Wait until someone gets killed or robbed?"

Commissioner Shelly Miller agreed.

"I feel we do not live in a safe city," Miller said. "I feel we must move forward in light of new events. But we are in an emergency situation."

Bradshaw said he personally hasn't come to the commission because it's not the way his agency has negotiated with other cities seeking a merger.

"This isn't something I'm seeking," Bradshaw said. "This is their decision to make."

The grand jury urged Belle Glade to consider merging its Police Department with the Sheriff's Office after investigators determined Dowdell ordered the arrest of a Clewiston man based on unproven accusations that he was the nightclub shooter.

Charges against Darren Hatcher, 35, later were dropped.

Walker was criticized for shoddy police work in investigating the shooting.

Reached by phone Thursday, Dowdell said: "I am in for the fight of my life. Most of all, I'm an honest person. I have not done anything wrong, and I'll stand on that until the day I die."

Assistant State Attorney Robert Shepherd, who works in the Belle Glade office, questioned the Police Department's ability to properly gather and maintain evidence.

He said the Police Department needs a major overhaul.

"The people of Belle Glade are not being served," he said. "They deserve the same care and protection as the people on the coast get."

Staff Writer Mike Clary contributed to this report.

Leon Fooksman can be reached at lfooksman@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6647.

*Just a matter of time, folks!*