IUPA Sinks to a new all time low!!!

IUPA Sinks to a new all time low!!!

The IUPA alleges that these PBA members were disrespectful by
    remaining seated during a memorial honoring Trooper Andy Brown. If
    this was during a “moment of silence,” why is everyone clapping?
    The truth is this occurred during a recognition of Colonel Chris Knight,
    Florida Highway Patrol, after the memorial for Trooper Brown.
    Note: Seven of those standing are PBA members, applauding Colonel
    Knight and the FHP.
    IUPA’s flyer states that during a Florida Senate
    Memorial Ceremony two years ago, members of
    the PBA showed disregard to the memory of State
    Trooper Andy Brown by not standing and paying
    the proper respect.
    False. Not one PBA member sat down during the
    ceremony and to claim otherwise is outrageous.
    Why would IUPA stoop so low? Simple. IUPA has
    absolutely nothing else to offer you.
    It should go without saying that the Florida PBA,
    which is made up of over 34,000 law enforcement
    officers, would never, under any circumstances
    dishonor a fallen brother or sister.
    We think that IUPA’s flyer is disgusting. We know
    that you will, too.
    Get the facts.
    See the full video for yourself. Go to PBA’s web
    site http://www.flpba.org/sleo/ to view the actual
    video as reported by WFSU-TV/The Florida
    Channel on April 27, 2004.
    IUPA exploits fallen Trooper to
    score a cheap political shot…
    Recently, you may have received a flyer from the IUPA alleging the Florida PBA acted inappropriately during
    a memorial for a fallen State Trooper.
    Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Why is everyone clapping?

Posted on 10-43, from David Murrell

Dear Sergeant Blackmon:

Thank you for the opportunity to reply to Bubba Rhynes’ comments with regard to honoring fallen officers. In a recent flyer and Bubba’s comments on 10-43, IUPA alleges that PBA was disrespectful of fallen Troopers on April 27, 2004, in a session of the Florida Senate. The flyer purports to show pictures from a video verifying this. By clever design, the flyer was purposely sent out right before ballots in the representation election between PBA and IUPA are to be sent out and with little chance for PBA to set the record straight. Also done in clever fashion, the pictures are just a part of the overall video which shows the real picture and sequence of events.

To set the record straight, what the video actually shows are two separate events. First, the video taken by public television shows Senator Nancy Argenziano making comments about Trooper Brown, then leading Senators in a moment of silence in honor of his memory. At this point everyone, including those seated in the Senate Gallery, is in the process of sitting down. Next, Senator Argenziano notes the presence of Colonel Knight and some of his administration. The camera homes in on Colonel Knight and his command staff in the Senate Gallery. It is at this point that the camera shows most people standing to applaud Colonel Knight et al. The flyer and video show two PBA members (and other non-PBA members) sitting while others are standing, looking up at Colonel Knight and applauding. The question arises: if this “incident” were during a moment of silence for Trooper Brown as alleged by the IUPA, why is everyone clapping? The truth is some PBA members took their seats AFTER the memorial for Trooper Brown and no less than seven are seen applauding Colonel Knight after he was recognized from the Senate floor. No member of the Florida PBA was disrespectful during the moment of silence for Trooper Brown. I invite everyone to see it for themselves. The entire video featuring the Trooper Brown and Colonel Knight segments may be seen on http://www.flpba.org/sleo/.

Chris, we do not take this charge from IUPA lightly. It is obvious that they are trying to manufacture an event, designed to inflame law enforcement officers and draw attention away from IUPA’s considerable shortcomings on pay and separation issues. We would never intentionally dishonor the memory of a fallen officer. To the contrary, PBA has led the charge to increase death benefits for fallen officers (to $150,000) and passed the PBA’s “Weaver Act” that doubled the death benefit for families of officers killed while enforcing traffic laws. We also distribute a substantial packet of information about state and federal death benefits to the survivors of slain law enforcement officers, whether members or not and throughout the state. Why do we do this? Not for gain, but because it is the right thing to do. (This packet, by the way, was given to survivors of Troopers Heyward and Brown—even though they were not PBA members.)

And on a more personal note, I feel very strongly about honoring fallen officers and helping their families. During my work as a Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office Deputy/Police Officer (both city and county by virtue of consolidated government), I had several of my friends and acquaintances gunned down. In fact, I and several other officers attended the execution of one of these cop-killers—just to see that justice was done.

I know the suffering that families go through. Rest assured, that I and PBA will do everything possible to honor the memories of fallen officers and help those who are left behind.

Again, I thank you for the opportunity to respond to IUPA’s attempt to exploit this tragedy to score a cheap political shot.

Sincerely,

David Murrell, Executive Director of Florida PBA

Investigation into this incident

Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:04 PM
    Subject: 05-30-2006 PBA responds to IUPA's tasteless allegation

As I hope anyone would do, I did some more investigating, and guess what ?
    IUPA has stretched the truth again. Click on the link to see the video. I emailed David Murrell as you said, and I also spoke with Colonel Knight
    and he agreed with PBA's version. EVERYONE stood for THE MOMENT OF silence...EVERYONE. THE LEGISLATORS AND ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE GALLERY ( including 7 more people from PBA) STOOD AND CLAPPED FOR COLONEL KNIGHT. Hummmmm! Again the exploitation of a Trooper that paid the ultimate price is DISGUSTING!

The following email is from PBA, and I am just passing on their response. Also there is a link with a PDF file for the PBA's response to IUPA's tasteless allegations, which I found on the web site.

Chris Blackmon

----- Original Message -----
    To: FLPBA
    Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:22 PM
    Subject: E-PBA: 05-30-2006 PBA responds to IUPA's tasteless allegation

E-PBA: Keeping Our Membership Informed Since 2004

IUPA Exploits a fallen State Trooper to score a cheap political shot.

Recently, you may have received a flyer from the IUPA alleging the Florida PBA acted inappropriately two years ago during a Memorial Service for State Trooper Andy Brown.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Read the PBA’s response and watch the full length news cast by WFSU/Florida Channel dated April 27, 2004, just click on the following link www.flpba.org/sleo/.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Want more information about the issues? Visit www.flpba.org **