Are Detectives Authorized To Expose Their Weapon ON DUTY?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are Detectives Authorized To Expose Their Weapon ON DUTY?

Recently I was out to breakfast with my family and 4 detectives came into the Cracker Barrel on SR54. All of them were sporting their badges and guns. None of them were wearing their jackets. Is this common or a violation of an SOP? I was wondering if their $44.00 breakfast ended up half price? Lets just say they didn't leave with making a good impression because I don't work for PCSO.

Answer

Detectives can wear their badges and guns openly. The detectives you saw were not in violation of Sheriff’s Office General Orders. I believe most agencies in the Bay Area allow their detectives to wear their badges and guns openly. Regarding the detectives possibly getting a discount on their meal, some restaurants do give discounts to law enforcement. I’m not sure what your point is…. I am sure that the restaurant does not expect anything in return and the deputies/detectives don’t expect to receive any discount.

Your comment: Let’s just say they didn't leave with making a good impression because I don't work for PCSO.

Did you read that sentence before you posted it? You came up with questions but no reason for not being impressed. I’m sure if you would have walked up to the detectives and spoke to them they could have answered your questions and relieved your concerns (they don’t bite). If you are a LEO you should realize that different jurisdictions do things different ways. You obviously knew they were detectives and so did everyone else.

Think before you post. :idea:

Thanks.

My personal opinion only, I think it is tasteless for a detective to openly display who he or she represents. A uniform officer is different. A detective wears plain clothes for a reason. Most agencies require their officers to conceal their weapons unless they are in uniform. You are correct, some do not. I was just wondering if you had a SOP regarding the issue. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. You just perceived it as such.

Maybe it was : I was wondering if their $44.00 breakfast ended up half price?

That was slightly disrespectful....

To the original poster... You my friend are a pot stiring jackazz. You knew exactly what you were asking and how you are asking it was to cause trouble. You just did not get the outcome that you wanted, and that was to try to get someone into trouble.

You are incorrect most agencies in the Tampa Bay area do not require their Detectives to hide their status as LEO's. I mean they are not undercover you moron. I know of one agency that requires their detectives to wear a coat while outdoors but indoors they can expose their badges and guns and by the way they are not a Tampa Bay agency. Also even with a jacket on you still know they are LEO's mostly because it is stitched across the back of their jackets. BTW that is called a clue.

Oh yeah one other thing, the cracker barrel on SR 54 is in PASCO COUNTY and if another jurisdiction does things difrently then that is on them, we should not have to explain ourselves to you via this forum.

Now get a life.

Sorry, I won't play that game! I was making a point and apparently hit a nerve. If it offended you, I apologize. I will not come on this board and act like a child and call people names. WEAR THE BADGE PROUDLY!

They wore their badge/gun in that fashion so they were in fact known as LEO's by the C.B. staff and got the 50% meal deal !

Well I think if you look around you will see all the detectives dress that way all the time even when they are not at a food establishment. Oh wait that might be considered a clue and of course you wouldn't realize that since you are to buisy thinking otherwise. Most agencies want the detective to dress in a way that they can be seen, so Mr. Joe Citizen will see them and see that they are acually out in the public, but there is always a couple out there that think the glass is half empty instead of half full.

i have no problem with the detectives doing it but it cracks me up when i see the training staff walk around with a gun. come on lets get serious do they really need to carry a gun, i would rather see the deputy in charge of the catfish put that gun to better use then one of the training staff.

Ok it has become clear what the real issue is now :idea: You are upset because a unit you think should not have a weapon assigned to them has one and you don't. Well lets put it this way they are in the public all the time and in some type of uniform that is identified as law enforcement and they should be carrying a weapon. I would rather them have it than not and i think all certified staff should as well but then again there is not enough dollars to make that happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast