RESERVE OFFICERS - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

does DEP ever hire?

Going back to the hiring of full-time officers....

Is there any hiring for full time officers in the future? I check the peoplefirst.myflorida.com website often and never see listing for DEP hiring officers. Am I missing something?

-Just Looking

No your not missing anything. The system is not the best, but the governor tells us it is, so it is! We usually always have a few openings. Call DEP in Tallahassee and ask for the Office Of Public Education and Training. They can tell you where the openings are and how to apply. We are truly the "best kept secret in state law enforcement".

pre-certified?

Do you need pre-certification to apply or does DEP sponsor people through the academy?

-JustLooking

DEP Does not sponsor people through the academy.

Reserve

DEP's reserve program is top notch. I started as a reserve officer right out of the academy. I worked hard, and was offered a full time position within the agency. Due to the relocation involved, I turned it down. I left DEP and went to a small local agency. A year later, I regretted leaving, and re-applied. Thankfully, I was offered a full time position, and snatched it up. That should show you there are definitely opportunities to come on full time if you are reserve.

While I was on reserve, I was very happy. You are outfitted exactly as your full time counterparts, minus the take home vehicle. I was issued more equipment as a reserve officer with DEP than I was as a full time officer with a city PD. Hopefully if you are thinking about giving DEP's reserve program a shot, you follow through. I sure am glad I did.

Please take the time and review the turnover rate. DONT DO IT. Most of the "positive" posting are from the backstabbing Administrators. All this agency is is a dog and pony show. I had over 15 years in Law Enforcement when I decided to go with the DEP, what a mistake. I took the first train smoking out of that dump. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Their General Orders mean nothing, its the flavor of the day. Please read the previous posting. I don't review this forum to bash the idiots in tally, just to help someone not make the grave mistake that I (and countless others) made!

Dittos and right on, from one of the " countless others".

how does someone find out what the turnover rate is?

do the reserve officers have to go to tallahassee for in-service training and if so, how often?

Reference the question about turnover: FDLE Division of Standards and Training maintains statistics on all law enforcement agencies within the state. The details you are seeking are public record and can be obtained from them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast