Your Comments Are Welcome - Page 3
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

thanks

Captain Gibson, I truly respect you for stepping up to the plate and throwing your hat in. The majority of us want to see positive change and realize that that can only happen with positive,or at least civil, communications.

The weekly conference calls are a great idea, but please keep in mind that the conference calls are with the Lt's. There are some Lt.'s that hold the idea that knowledge is power and do not pass on the information. The only information that I have heard cominig from the conference calls is information on what we can't do. It also is giving more power to the "they" said this and "they" said that excuses. What I mean by that is that when you ask for something that the Lt does not want you to have or asked a question that the Lt. does not know the answer to, then you get the patented answer " they or Tallahassee told us on the that you can't do that". Like I said it is a great idea, but not implemented as I am sure you envisioned that it would be.

The District meetings are good, but again I do not want ya'll to think that there are no problems,that we are all content or could care less about attending because we do not say anything in the meeting. There is always the threat of retaliation looming over our heads. It might be in the form of something as simple as being scheduled for less than desireable hours, being denied OPS, off duty or annual leave request. Trust me when I say that this is real.
    Maybe meeting with the officers separately from their chain would help.

As far as BEI goes, I really like all of the investigators in my area and we all get along wonderfully. However, there is always that bit of tension that creeps in when I need to call them or I know that they are going to be contacting me to help them. It does come from the top. I do not know what the answer is, but I do see us drifting further apart. I think that the suggestion to put us all under DLE is an idea worth considering.

Just a note to those posting here. Please try to keep it civil. If you have a criticism, try to have a solution. This an opportunity that we have never had . Let's try to make the best of it and create positive change.

BEI

I read BEI's response to the rift question with great interest. Now I ask you, Captain Gibson, will you take the lead in addressing these issues of mending the fences? Or will the legitimate concerns expressed here once again be dismissed as "just complaining?" We all FPP and BEI want to open lines of communication. The cut lines are way to high for us to reach.

Facts

[/quote]Once again Captain, the offer for communications on behalf of the FPP supervisors is appreciated.

I am not a detractor and unfortunately to the supervisor who is totally up the brass end, please do not speak for me as I am just stating facts. I do not want to hear political comments such your speaking at a conference. I would like answers and its apparent that you can not give them.

Please state the case law on the issue of going in service in our vehicle as we are not officially on law enforcement status until reaching a post?

Please state the case law to where you can take a law enoforcement investigators hour away from them and charge them an hour for lunch like they are a office employee?

Please show me as too where my car and patch reads Florida DEP STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT and yet you still refer to us as park patrol.

As far a scalling the chief and expressing views. It is obvious that you have no communication bearing with the troops because you would know that would be cutting our own throat in advancement.

I applaud you for starting this discussion but please for once look at us as Police Officers and not as Rangers. I think we have earned it.

Unfortunate

Cpat Gibson,

It is so disheartening that this has already come to this in this forum. However, they are questions and issues brought up that you have not responded to. Case Law?

I think it is time the management realizes that there are educated Law Enforcement Officers out there that want to bring this agency to the next level. However, just like the previous survey said with low numbers that the agency fails to use the talent/education/expertise of those that have it. I am sure that it is that "threat to my position" mentality.

I heard of a particular Capt. saying an officer was in directed violation of General Orders without investigating the situation. Then after being told by the supervisor they were not, nothinig was rescended in the official "email". Well, are emails "public information". What would happen to an officer if they said this about a superior?

If witten "Immunity" was given in writing to those wanting to make this agency continue in the right direction and come forth, could that happen?

I do agree with your previous email of calling and coming forth, but the fact remains, there is a fear (real) of retaliation.

Respectfully submitted.

Nothing changes

As I've read the postings by the Officers and Agents, the one thing that is obvious is that nothing has changed since little Tommy took over. He hasn't got a clue about being a real cop. Let me walk you though it so you can figure it out. Tommy was born in 1954. According to his own bio, He was an Investigator in the State Attorney's Office from 1975 to 1984. You do the math. That means he got that job when he was 21 years old. In 84 he was elected Sheriff of his home county (Columbia) and was re-elected in 84, 88, and 92. If memory serves me, he lost in 96. Not long after that he was given his current job as DEP's DLE Director. Columbia County is a small lightly populated agricultural community, and other than his political connections and personal associations, Tommy never did a thing to merit his present position. He's a political appointee and you're nothing. If you want to keep your jobs, don't make waves and be very careful about what you post here. You can bet that he's being regularly briefed about what gets posted her and that he is making a list of soon to be former employees.

Legal Opinion

Why don't we ask for a legal opinion from our legal advisor at GHQ? Then we can all wait for two years for the legal opinion and who side do you think the opinion will before? Management or Officer? Why don't we get IUPA to file a grievance on the 10-8 issue and see who is right or wrong? :?:

Comments

Hey everyone let's cool our jets and stop this non-sense. We have got to get along with one another and work together as a team. The old saying is "United we stand and divide we fall," all of our jobs are important, there probably has been some rifts between personnel and issues that are not resolved. It is a shame that everyone has the feeling that they will be retaliated against for coming forward and bringing out the issues. It seems that in our agency the messenger always gets killed. Management needs to stop this mentality and listen to the issues without the troops fearing retaliation. We all have good jobs and good ideas for making change within our agency, let's keep it in-house and not air our dirty laundery on a web site for all to see. I agree with some of the comments about making one division and not having two seperate enforcement bureaus. Just remember everyone we have some good personnel and we just need to suck it up, do our jobs, bring our issues forward to management and hopefully we will get a resolution to an idea or issue. I personally feel that we have the best state law enforcement agency in the State of Florida, and I'll admit we do have our problems as everyone does. So let's just get along, things will get better if we stand up and take the hig road and get a committment from management that we won't be retaliated against for bringing out problems or issues to the forefront.

Unfortunately the reason everyone is afraid of retaliation is past experience or knowledge. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Management cannot be trusted to listen to your views without considering you an enemy if those views differ from theirs. Management resolves "issues" by terminating or transfering those who raise the issues. While it's true that you have some good and talented personnel in the lower ranks, your agency has been in trouble for years because of incompetent management. In the near future I will be posting some documented facts about your management that will shock and disgust most of you. Hopefully it will shock and disgust your secretary enough to fire them if she has the courage to deal with it. I wish you all well.

Well, as you all can read that when policy, direction, or quotes given by Administration is challenged (ie:What Case Law?), there is no response.

Look, this is the kind-of-thing that we are trying to tell you Capt Gibson, when we believe there is a problem and nothing is done, we bring up the question.

If we were to arrest someone and say we'll charge you later with some crime, it WONT FLY!

So, if you make a quote there is a lot of case law, what is it?

I can tell from your questions that you're trying to do a good job. This "Old timer" is sorry you didn't get any answers. But, as you have rightly observed, "... when administration is challenged, there is no response." I see that nothing has changed. Be careful to keep your identity concealed. If Little Tommy finds out who you are, he'll probably fire you. Here are a few quotes from some previous posting that accurately reflect his attitude. "For all of you that are not happy, go - leave - hit the road running and don't let the door hit you in the butt." "shut the hell up." "This is why we have Supv. to keep you children in line." In other words, if you dare to raise questions, no matter how reasonable those questions are, you're a fool or a child, and you'd better shut up or you will leave, voluntarily or otherwise. Be patient with your Captain. He's between a rock and a hard place. He probably wants to do the right things for you guys, but he ultimately has to answer to a director who does not. If you need legal questions answered, you're better off searching the internet. Several of the States Attorney Offices publish legal bullitens that are achived and viewable online. Check them out. In the mean time, hang tough and don't let the butt-kissers get you down. There are a truck load of us old timers out here who know what you're going through.

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast