Your Comments Are Welcome - Page 2
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit
    Sorry. The last post was from me. For some reason, my name did not attach.
    Greg Gibson
    Captain
    Florida Park Patrol

Capt, would you comment on the rift between BPP and BEI? It seems as if the two bureaus of the division are getting further apart instead of working more closely together.

Case Law?

So it is a management issue not a case law as you earlier refered too?

We do understand you and Chief had good intent in the open forum. We just want to make sure you know what is happening in the field.

Respectfully submitted.

Rift

Although I call myself BEI, know that I am not speaking for all of BEI, but I will tell you this ... there is no rift at the patrol officer level, just lack of communication. So why are you hearing about this rift. This perception is unforunately coming from above; Our leaders need to play together better. They need to get on the same playing field. I am amazed how seperate the two bureaus are, but we're all supposed to be the same division.

Most recently, patrol gets air cards for laptops, BEI - nope. This causes a little grumbling ... not much. BEI works 9 hour days and is paid for 8, Patrol- 8 hours. <grumble> Patrol is encouraged to be law enforcement officers and take action where appropriate, BEI is absolutely discouraged from taking any immediate law enforcement action. This argument is validated by the nine hour day. Clearly, if we are told we are " off the clock" for lunch, then the commanders do this for a purpose; they expect we will not take any L.E. action when an armed gunmen walks into a restaurant and starts shooting. Yes, BEI does have unmarked cars and plain clothes, and in some cases slightly more pay, but at what expense.

Next the hurricanes. BEI were always assigned to tag along with patrol squads. Any good supervisor knows you take care of your own first. This often left BEI out in the cold with the assignment no one else wanted. I understand why patrol supervisors did this, but now, as a result, BEI will no longer be working with patrol on hurricane deployments. Now, instead, BEI will be working ESF 12, that is, we will be security guards at fuel tanker deployment depots. I'm not exactly sure we made out in this deal.

In summation, the perceived rift is coming from poor coordination and seperation between our two divisions. If the commanders would get on the same page, standardize policy and equipment, encourage dialogue and interaction then this rift would be allieviated.

Personally, I have complete respect for our patrol bureau and utilize them every opportunity that presents itself. The patrol Lt. and officers in my district are second to none. They are there to provide help to BEI whenever called upon. The perceived rift comes from to much seperation at the top. Let's standardize policy and come together as one ... ya know like a normal LE agency. "The grass is always greener on the other side until you get over there and find it's artificial turf."

Division problems

I’m sorry for you good Officers and Agents in DEP's DLE. Nothing will change as long as Tom Tramel is running your division. Look at the turn-over rate, the transfers, the terminations, the hirings, the promotions, the vendors, the travel records, the law suits, etc. since he’s been in charge, and then ask yourself the following questions. Is Tramel a dedicated and talented law enforcement professional devoted to protecting Florida’s environment, or is he a political hack feathering his own nest, providing jobs for his friends, and riding a gravy train toward his own retirement? Is he really interested in your opinions, or is he only interested in your unquestioning personal loyalty to him? Considering that Florida’s law enforcement talent pool is a virtual ocean teaming with administrative leviathans, haven't you ever wondered why the political powers that be fished a guppy from a shallow stagnant estuary to fill such an important position? If you’re not sure about the answers, do the research. I did. Just keep some extra strength Rolaids nearby when you do!

formeragent

When I asked about the rift in an earlier post, I was referring to the management and not the officers/agents.

I truly believe that for DEP LE to survive, we need to get rid of the separate bureaus and just have a DLE. The further the two bureaus get pulled apart, the worse off we are.

I am a firm believer in merging both departments into a DEP DLE. Even in the smallest agencies, you will find that investigations MUST work with the officers to get the job completed.

Even within my district, we are not permitted to call investigations for assisitance until we get the o.k. from the "copper top" in Tally. This is insane. I believe that we in the field are very capable in determining if or when investigations needs to be called. Investigations is always willing to help at any given moment.

Once again, communications and egos fall into place. I am tired of politics being involved in every decision being made. If the street officers didn't share information to get the job done, the bad guys would being further ahead of us then they are presently. Every district within the agency has special needs and wants. You can not compare what happens in the S.E. district to what happens in the Central district. Even within districts, the needs are different. The brass MUST see what the needs are for each individual officer. Stop trying to compare N.W. Florida with Miami,Orlando,Tampa or Jacksonville.

Between the high turnover because of low pay, these issues I have listed above are almost always mentioned by officers leaving this department. Please listen to the wants,ideas and concerns of each individual officer. This is where it all begins and ends.

The reason

The reason speaks itself. You have a Captain who can not get out of his head Florida Park Patrol. The Agents investigate Environmental crimes. We on the other other hand are Park Police and can not even begin as a law enforcement officer until I touch a park gate. Remeber our management has been rangers and management of the Park service for years and will not let go. The other are not even law enforcement and never have been. So until we merge and get this mentality as the Captain quote per GHG" We are Florida Park Patrol" thats mentality will eventually die out with the old timers but hopefully we will still be around when that happens if we dont merge with some other agency...ie...FWC

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit
    What more can I offer to you than a receptive and respectful audience?

I will repeat my intent one last time for the benefit of clarity.

To those whose sincere desire it is to bring about positive change through communication: I again offer you the opportunity to call the Chief or me with your ideas, suggestions, and criticisms.

To those who find greatest comfort in pessimissim and negativity: There is little, if anything, to be gained from persisting in a deteriorating exhange that is not advancing the greater good of this organization.

To the casual reader: Please know that our agency is committed to its mission and to fostering a positive enviroment in which each and every member is valued as a unique part of this team.

Thank you all for the opportunity to serve you.

Respectfully,
    Greg Gibson
    Captain
    Florida Park Patrol

Once again Captain, the offer for communications on behalf of the FPP supervisors is appreciated.

I for one, am very interested in progressing forward in trying to make this a better agency. Most of the postings in this topic, I feel, have been positive. It is unfortunate that we will always have the few detractors and malcontents. The overall feel from the officiers in the field hopefully will change when conditions improve.

Please don't feel that the postings represented here are the overall mood of the agency. I will continue to keep the line of communications open with Tally. A phone call can make the difference.

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast