Red Headed Step Children of the S.O. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Detention Deputies Xover....

First of all, let me say that I believe and stand behind your Sheriff and his right to hire whomever he wants to hire.
    Now I agree that there is an issue here. I work for Tampa PD and I never thought that I'd post on LEO affairs however, there does seem to be a need for everyone's input. I spoke with several deputies (both road and detention). They told of the decision to not hire detention deps that had crossed trained to LEO discipline, using their own time and money. Regardless of the intention of the individual, there was some kind of desire to be a road deputy. We all know that there is a contingent of folks who get into detention with the hopes of getting a transfer to the road.

My concern, as should be yours, isn’t the decision to not hire but the reason given to the lock up cops. They are being told that they wish to hire officers with law enforcement experience. Remember that these deputies have been in corrections for 3+ years but, they have paid there way through crossover. Do the recruits have more experience than these men and women?
    However, they are told that they can apply for the Integrity Scholarship, for which they would have to resign if chosen…
    I was told that they may still apply for the road until sometime in July (check the date).

I have only genuine concern for fellow officers being demoralized by the reason for not hiring them. In my opinion, in general, one should not BS a cop. We are generally quicker than the average person. A percentage of us have been in the military. All of our recruiters, BS'd us. It is bad form to do the same to a cop, or a prospective police officer. Someone said that a memo should be written. That would be nice, and it has been done (So I've been told, and has not been responded to yet).

I have never actively sought out a promotion, nor befriended people in higher position with hopes of any incentives. I really believe in treating fellow cops like family. Of course we all have the family members that we don't talk to, but I think that you know what I mean...

I have spoken to the Sheriff on several occasions, nothing major, just idle chit chat in passing, he always seemed like a guy who cared, like we all should. I felt comfortable calling the office of the Sheriff, knowing that sometimes things sometimes get "filtered" before they reach the top (providing that outside perspective). I said that I know that sometimes documents may be signed by an person in "acting" capacity. I wanted to be sure that he was aware of the policy, more to the point, the way that the policy was being related to the troops. Not only is it bad for morale of the detention deputies, but the attitude shows when the deputies apply for other agencies. I spoke with an administrative aide who seemed rather receptive to the issue. She stated that the Sheriff was not in, but she would relay the message. I received a call later in the day from an executive assistant. She did not seem receptive. This call was received while several officers and deputies were within close proximity to hear my side of the conversation. She seemed to get upset with me for asking about the issue. Needless to say, I did not get to speak with the Sheriff, but was told in a snipped tone, that the Sheriff personally reviews and signs all directives. Believing that there was no future continuing the conversation, I thanked her for the information and her time. I explained to the deputies that I tried, and thought that was it. Until about a week later when I received noticed that the executive asst complained about my supposed conduct. I was absolutely shocked with the allegation. In no manner was the office of the Sheriff, or the office of the Chief of Police disrespected. I'm hoping the Sheriff gets wind of this post and realizes that officers care about each other.

Jail vs Road,

Solving the understaffing at both Jails will always be an issue. An increase in salary would help, but then hiring standards should be brought back up to the level it was 5 years ago. There are way to many questionable staff being hired from what I've seen. The new day care might be a incentive that draws more people, but a fitness center with showers, full-size lockers, etc. located somewhere between both Jails would also help with staff moral. I like what the guest from Colorado had to say. Stop and take a look at who you have and freeze up positions if Fiscally possible. This is sort of what L.A. County S.O. does. Once in the Jail some aspiring Road Deputies find the Jail more convient for there schedule. The ones who started in the Jail as a foot in should have the chance to try the road. As far as them not cutting it on the street. Look at it this way, the will either go back to the Jail or leave. Someone fresh from a Law Enforcement academy is not likely to go through another academy(Correctional) then work the Jail if the can't handle the street! My whole point continues to be that Jail Deputies are just as good as Road Deputies. Yes we do a different job that most will never do or truely understand, but so what! If we are dual certified thats more of a plus not negative for this Sheriff!!!

Jail vs Road,

Solving the understaffing at both Jails will always be an issue. An increase in salary would help, but then hiring standards should be brought back up to the level it was 5 years ago. There are way to many questionable staff being hired from what I've seen. The new day care might be a incentive that draws more people, but a fitness center with showers, full-size lockers, etc. located somewhere between both Jails would also help with staff moral. I like what the guest from Colorado had to say. Stop and take a look at who you have and freeze up positions if Fiscally possible. This is sort of what L.A. County S.O. does. Once in the Jail some aspiring Road Deputies find the Jail more convient for there schedule. The ones who started in the Jail as a foot in should have the chance to try the road. As far as them not cutting it on the street. Look at it this way, the will either go back to the Jail or leave. Someone fresh from a Law Enforcement academy is not likely to go through another academy(Correctional) then work the Jail if the can't handle the street! My whole point continues to be that Jail Deputies are just as good as Road Deputies. Yes we do a different job that most will never do or truely understand, but so what! If we are dual certified thats more of a plus not negative for this Sheriff!!!

Jail vs Road,

Good Ideas Posted

The recent posts, from Colorado, from the TPD officer and from "Frank Rizzo" all have some good ideas.

Not to bore you, but when I began with the Sheriff's Office (before the days of "certification") every deputy who aspired to be a patrol deputy was required to start in the jail. There was, at the same time, a cadre of "jail deputies" who were in the jail as a career and who would not be moving to the road. Generally, they had less education than applicants seeking patrol positions, and were often also older men who did not want the more strenuous life of patrol.

Working in the jail before going to patrol was a testing period in which an applicant could be evaluated for personality, integrity and ability. Not every applicant ended up going to patrol. Some were not even retained as jail deputies.

Note that the turnover in patrol was very low and an applicant usually worked in the jail for several months before moving on to patrol. Also the number of those who were destined to move on to patrol was a small percentage of the overall number of jail deputies. The cadre of jail deputies were in place to assure uniformity of policy and continuing "institutional knowledge."

THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW IN FLORIDA is the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission which has established two different kinds of certification - LEO and Detention.

In order to make a system work in which a period in the jail prior to moving to the road is viable would require something less cumbersome than dual certification, with the attendant costs.

Here's a thought. For those who simply want a position in Detention, the Detention employment standards and certification could remain as they are now.

For those who aspire to become LEOs it should be possible to have a person who is certified as a LEO simply get some additional training (in module) from the employing agency that would permit a period of service in Detention (kind of like a motorcycle endorsement on a driver's license) until the applicant could move on to employment on the road. This is the kind of change that the big county sheriff's, who operate detention facilities, should be able to get approved by CJSTC, or the legislature.

And, of course, those presently working in the jail who are dual certified should be at the head of the line to move into patrol if that is what they want.

OK. There's the idea. Somebody write it up on a suggestion form and send it to the Sheriff and see what he says.

As for me, I'm "Retired and Content."

My opinion

The Sheriff puts people through the academy for both jail and road. If everyone went through detention and had to stay in the jail for 2 years all the Sheriff would have to do is put these people who wanted to go to the road through a crossover academy. As you all know the crossover is much less time that the other academies. Much less time means more money to put towards other much needed equipment.

Two years in jail for road deputies? No way!

Being required to stay in the jail for two years before going to the road is not realistic.

Also, you are apparently another one of those people who do not understand budget. You can't take training money and use it for equipment. The amount of money allocated for each category of budget requires agreement by the County Commission and is projected two years out, in advance.

Job One is to solve the understaffing in the jail.

it is a fact, administration put out memo that hcso will only hire a pre-cert with a minimum of three years law enf exp. no jail guards need apply. jail guards fight better, shoot better and have more education than current road guards. current administratioionn has no respect for detention and if the detention department did not pull in so much money, the sheriff would of dumped us in a heartbeat to privatization.

To Don't agree and Screwed Vet. You are right I do not understand budget, however, it seems that money could be saved or put somewhere else by not paying the diference in the three academies. The law enforcement academy is 6-9 months where corrections is 3 months and crossover full time is only 2. That leaves 1-4 months of pay that is not needed. That would solve the understaffing in the jail. Also the point that Screwed vet made. I have worked in the jail and now on the road. You are right and hit the nail on the head. Jail Deputies do better in shooting and fighting. The reason is because the jail deputies go in do their 12 and leave. All other time is their own. Road deputies have court, training, vehicle maintenence, etc. that has to be done on our own time. Yes we get paid, however, if I just worked from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. and have tampa court at 8:30 that runs until 12:00 than I have to be on Hillsborough for a D.L. hearing at 1:30 than no I am not making it to the range when my schedule is like that every day. Plus a revolver is alot easier to shoot than an automatic!! Please do not forget that a lot of road deputies came from the jail and do know how to fight. I have not lost one yet and the S.O. is what 5000-none. The Sheriff does not care about the jail and therfore it leaves the jail deputies very negative and makes for very low moral in the jail.

Re: Red Headed Step Children of the S.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
    Well the rumor is Qualified Detention personel will no longer be allowed to apply for Law Enforcement. Quit your job and go through a full time academy with 19 year old zit poppers who will dump in their pants the first real call they go to is your only option. Why not just get some trained monkies from the zoo! This is a disgrace to all duel certified Deputies who work hard for this agency. The Sheriff said he needs more Deputies on the street, especially in the comming years-what are we. Passing Detention over shows things have not really changed all that much since Uncle homer left! :evil:

The Sheriff also needs more deputies in the jail as well. He can't keep taking people from the jail to go to the road. If you wanted to be a policeman, you should have not opted for a career in the jail. You should have gone to the police academy and applied with police departments. But you opted to go to the "all expenses paid" detention academy so you would get paid while attending and have the guarantee of a job when you graduated. You are the equivalent of the Military Reservist who took all the benefits and then whined when they were activated and sent to the Middle East.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast