Red Headed Step Children of the S.O. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

bottem line people.....

The bottem line is-Detention staff that are qualified should have first dibs on law enforcement positions-over outsiders!
    1. They are already a part of the agency with a file that reflects the type of Deputy they are. There is a wealth of info for Recruitment and screening.
    2. It has been proven time and time again that Detention Deputies go on to make good Enforcement Deputies.
    3. Working the jails teaches you interpersonel skills the academies could never do.
    Hey whatever happened to loyality-Detention do a job most won't. The Sheriff and the rest of the agency need to recognize them. They were the same Badge!!

Good point, but.........

You make a good point, but you fail to address the concerns that I voiced.

If it were not for the fact that Detention is dangerously understaffed, your arguments would be compelling. However, until this problem is corrected it would be foolhardy for management to contribute further to the understaffing by transferring Detention Deputies to LEO positions.

First they must fix the underlying problem, which is understaffing in Detention. Then they can address the issue of giving preferential consideration to Detention Deputies who want to apply for LEO positions.

I favor giving preferential consideration to Detention Deputies who want to become LEOs, particularly if they are dual certified - but not until the understaffing problem is solved.

I think that increased pay for Detention Deputies is a crucial element in correcting the understaffing problem.

:idea:

apply

Some of us have applied long before this. As a matter of fact
    long before the Sheriff was elected and this idea was even
    thought of. If it's so understaffed then they should not tell you to get your foot in the door and work at the jail until openings are available on the street.

Once again.........

Once again, you do not address my points; you just gripe.

How would you solve the understaffing problems in Detention?

:?:

Yeah, and we have not seen detention deputies come out of the jail and fail miserably. There is a line around the block of qualified applicants many with experience from other LEO agencies who just need to be trained to policy and procedure and not how to do the job.

Besides why would they allow people out of the jail when they are understaffed and it is harder to get quality personnel to apply for the jail. Your reasoning is fuzzy, if you want to be road deputies then you should have taken that step not complained about it. Just because you are "dual certified" does not mean you are a special breed. Hey here is an idea if you don't like it then leave and apply for a road position at another agency, but be warned they will probably choose a veteran road officer from another agency than you with you jail experience, but the option is always there.

What's the SOLUTION ?

Come on "guest," you're just being abusive and not addressing the problem.

How would you solve the problem of severe understaffing on the Detention side?

Give some positive input!

:!:

My suggestion is you quit getting your career information from this site and actually go to your employer's website and to get the answers to your questions for yourself.
    Yes, you can still be hired as a Law Enforcement Deputy if you have three years experience as a certified Detention Deputy or as a Reserve I or II with HCSO.

If you go off of rumors in this career you will never get anywhere.

Positive?

Well, "You're an Idiot" was far from positive. (The "official" answer on the website can be a long way from what is going on in practice.)

Can no one suggest innovations that will help fill the vacancies in critically understaffed Detention positions?

One suggestion was significant pay raises. Is there anything else?

:?:

Detentions V Road

Ok. I am from Colorado and just a little food for thought; The State of Colorado has done away with Detentions V Road Deputy. In Colorado a Deputy is a Deputy is a Deputy. Now with that being said a lot of the Sheriff's Offices REQUIRE that their personnel start out working in the Jail. To address the concern of Understaffing in the Jail; That is ALWAYS going to be a problem However it can be minimized by simply freezing for a given period of time any hiring of Road Deputies. Then fill only jail slots with anyone whom wants to apply Road/Jail or Dual. Then once you lift the Road Freeze look to the jail first and foremost for qualified people. I believe that you are also wrong in stating that it would be fiscally irresponsible to send jail deputies to an academy, the ones in the jail require less expenditure in terms of BACKGROUND, ETC. And if they have been there for 3 or 4 years then the risk of them taking off to another agency is less than someone who comes from somewhere else and may or may not agree with the philisophies of HCSO.

wont work

Nope, because instead of the jail then wait for a road position people will go to work for smaller or bigger agencies that do not have a jail.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast