Question for BSO Retirees

Unregistered

Question for BSO Retirees

Does our FRS pension income reduce our Social Security Benefit? I heard from a retired brother that his SS benefits were reduced because his pension was too high.

Will any BSO retirees who collect their SS benefits comment on this?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does our FRS pension income reduce our Social Security Benefit? I heard from a retired brother that his SS benefits were reduced because his pension was too high.

Nothing would surprise me with the government of this country. Always keeping the working man down.

Unregistered

I'm fittin to go crazy dawv

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Yes your money will go to those smoking weed all day and drinking a urange ritz soda

Unregistered

Fact checker

No, it does not. A pension for which you paid FICA does not count as income against your SS....

"There is nothing that precludes you from getting both a pension and Social Security benefits. ... If your pension is from what Social Security calls 'covered' employment, in which you paid Social Security payroll taxes, it has no effect on your benefits."

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie
    HI.... I am going on my 17th year of retirement and I have been collecting SS for the past 10 years and
    NO your pension is not reduced.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Deputy View Post
    HI.... I am going on my 17th year of retirement and I have been collecting SS for the past 10 years and
    THANKS BROTHER! That's exactly what I needed to hear!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Deputy View Post
    He asked if THE PENSION reduced the SOCIAL SECURITY benefit. You got it backwards. You must have retired as a Lt.

Unregistered
    In some instances, your Social Security benefits will be reduced by your pension. This provision only applies if your agency was one of those that opted of of the social security program and you never paid into social security via the agency. If that was the case and you qualify for social security but earned your social security benefits via some prior job, or off duty details, then yes, you benefits will be reduced by about half. If your agency paid into the program for you then there is no reduction in benefits.