Tpd vs hcso - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tpd vs hcso

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I got it from here friend. As someone who worked at HCSO and left for TPD, I can honestly say I am glad I made the jump. When you compare both side by side, it’s no comparison. Both, in comparison to others in the state and the country, are some of the best around. But when comparing the two against each other, TPD comes out on top.

Sure the equipment is better at HCSO, but those are things that can be arbitrarily taken away and it’s still happening from what I hear from people who still work there. Your pension and years of life back from not working 30 years cannot be taken by staff.
    I've heard over and over that HCSO has better equipment but IDK if that really is even the case. We got good service weapons, I'd rather have the Explorer over the Charger, we got decent rifles that are slowly going out to everyone, we got the newest taser.

Unregistered
    I've heard over and over that HCSO has better equipment but IDK if that really is even the case. We got good service weapons, I'd rather have the Explorer over the Charger, we got decent rifles that are slowly going out to everyone, we got the newest taser.
    Well in some ways they do have better equipment. All of their road deputies get issued tactical trauma kits (refilled whenever used by agency), tourniquet holders, stop sticks, life jackets, in car radar, lasers, tint meters, fingerprint scanners, and the lights for the gun with the qls holsters. They run the long and short distance cartridges in their tasers.

They phased out all of their crown Vics with tahoes, explorers, and Silverados. Their gyms are pretty nice and are free and open 24/7. Free personal trainer who can do one on ones and prepare meal plans. Their outdoor range is nice and they have an indoor range that is open 24/7. They get 150 free rounds of ammo for every gun they are issued. They all can get ar15 and shotguns issued. All vehicles have aeds.

However, all of that stuff cannot replace not working 30 years or even 25 for that matter. Their equipment is state of the art but what good is that if everything else in the agency sucks? They get off late, patrol is terribly short, they use it as a punishment, and the brass is more concerned with promoting their buddies than taking care of those on the front lines.

I would much rather ride around in a crown Vic with cold ac with adequate staffing and be able to retire and start another career or sit on my arse than have to work longer with more bs.

Unregistered
    That's a really nice post - thanks for the insight. Is TPD short staffed on patrol?

Unregistered
    That's a really nice post - thanks for the insight. Is TPD short staffed on patrol?
    Yes we are but everyone is short staffed. Our equipment isn’t bad like they say. Explorers are garbage but who cares they pay for the gas

Unregistered
    And HCSO paying 3% plus social security which we don’t pay. Plus 30 yrs to retire.. TPD you buy back 5 enter drop at 15 gone at 20 way better pension than the state. HCSO is a political nightmare with that pretty boy clueless sheriff. He will pander to anyone for a vote.
    Ain’t that the truth.

Unregistered
    Is there anyone on here that worked for a department in the northeastern states that came to HCSO or Tampa? Was it worth the jump? I'd take a significantly pay cut, but my home state (I'm from upper NY) is a mess.

Unregistered
    Is there anyone on here that worked for a department in the northeastern states that came to HCSO or Tampa? Was it worth the jump? I'd take a significantly pay cut, but my home state (I'm from upper NY) is a mess.
    Yes, I did and it was worth it, check out the City of Tampa website, Human Resources to view the current PBA contract, the pay scales are listed, if you have over three years experience you would start at Step 3 on the pay scale, TPD, has a shift bid based on seniority, four days on four off work schedule, you can buy back up to five years of prior service, we have a 3.15 % multiplier for each year of service, D.R.O.P. eligible after 20 years of service. Report to work, do your job go home repeat for four days. So it is worth taking a look at, plus no state income tax. I used to live in and work as an LEO in New York State, sadly it's turned into a shit hole and I made the right move. Good luck to you.

Unregistered
    I did and definitely worth it. I’m a MPO and it’s 100k then you add court and off duty I can’t remember the last time I made less than 120-130k. Not sure what they pay you up there but was nowhere near that in the same town I worked for.

Unregistered
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses/advice. I appreciate it.

I'm a 6 year officer and I'll wrap up 2021 in the low 90s with minimal OT. I just want to enjoy my life both on and off the job at this point.

Unregistered
    i'll echo what some folks have said here, TPD is a better option for so many reasons. Having spoken to many deputies over the years...job security is def an issue at the SO.

Much more stable here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast