Forget about the loyal!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Forget about the loyal!

Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday announced new initiatives aimed at recruiting law enforcement officers to Florida.

Among the proposals he said he plans to present to the Florida Legislature would be a $5,000 bonus to anyone who chooses law enforcement as a new profession, according to a news release.

Speaking at a Fraternal Order of Police conference in Indianapolis, DeSantis showed his support for law enforcement, saying Florida did “not tolerate” the looting and rioting that took place in protest of George Floyd’s death, prompting an anti-rioting bill that was passed in April.

DeSantis said said his proposal is aimed at recruiting “people to be good members of the community who are going to make our communities stronger.”

“One of the biggest opportunities we have in the state of Florida is to say to people who are well trained, professional, and work really hard – some for many, many years – in other parts of country who may not be treated very well right now — because morale may be low — we can look to you and say, ‘you know what? There’s a spot in the state of Florida for you. We value your service and we want you to come.’,” DeSantis said.

According to the release, the proposals include:

A one-time $5,000 payment to law enforcement officers who are new to the profession in Florida.
    An Academy Scholarship Program, through the state Department of Education, that would be given on a first-come, first-served basis for law enforcement academy enrollees. It would provide tuition assistance for students who are ineligible to receive other state financial aid through a state college or technical center law enforcement program.
    Relocation support, including free certification exams to law enforcement officers moving to Florida, and a maximum of $1,000 to cover the costs for any officer who needs to take part in any necessary equivalency training.
    State lawmakers could take up the proposals during the next legislative session, which starts in January.

So let's NOT reward the LEOs who stuck it out, or bring pay up from seasoned Troopers making the same as new ones. Come on PBA, you need to get this sorted.

Unregistered
    Next year will be our year. It’s finally here after 31 years.

Satan, probably
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    So let's NOT reward the LEOs who stuck it out, or bring pay up from seasoned Troopers making the same as new ones. Come on PBA, you need to get this sorted.
    So a thousand smackers wasn't enough for ya?

You strike me as the type that works 32 hours of 208 a week, and still can't make ends meet.

Learn to live within your means and quit worrying about the other hand.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan, probably View Post
    So a thousand smackers wasn't enough for ya?

You strike me as the type that works 32 hours of 208 a week, and still can't make ends meet.

Learn to live within your means and quit worrying about the other hand.
    You sound like an idiot. Once you get off of FTO and the Kook-Aid runs dry you’ll realize what he’s saying. There’s literally no incentive to stay. Everyone who has been here are being overlooked by all the promises being made to new hires.

Unregistered
    All I know is that inflation is catching up to that 46k a year fast. Even trailers are becoming unaffordable, corruption with 208 will start happening. For those of us who don't have 208, that SOAR gets old after a while. Go to school and get a trade in construction, get out of this profession or you will be working the rest of your life. Florida will never pay enough for a human standard of life.

Unregistered
    FYI - My 28 year old son went to an electrical lineman school for several months two years ago. He now works for Pike, who has a major contract with FPL and other major utilities in the US. His regular pay, overtime pay, and tax free daily perdium ($150) will add up to about $160k this year. He is still climbing the ladder. He found out about it from a friend that left the Marine Corps months before he did. He called it the best kept secret. It is hard work but the pay and benefits are great. I'm now way to old for this, but if I was a young man I would do it. One friend they know who was willing to work hurricane details made $225k in one year and he was only 25 years old. Just something to think about.

Unregistered
    FYI - My 28 year old son went to an electrical lineman school for several months two years ago. He now works for Pike, who has a major contract with FPL and other major utilities in the US. His regular pay, overtime pay, and tax free daily perdium ($150) will add up to about $160k this year. He is still climbing the ladder. He found out about it from a friend that left the Marine Corps months before he did. He called it the best kept secret. It is hard work but the pay and benefits are great. I'm now way to old for this, but if I was a young man I would do it. One friend they know who was willing to work hurricane details made $225k in one year and he was only 25 years old. Just something to think about.
    Correction: He went to school three plus years ago.

Unregistered
    All I know is that inflation is catching up to that 46k a year fast. Even trailers are becoming unaffordable, corruption with 208 will start happening. For those of us who don't have 208, that SOAR gets old after a while. Go to school and get a trade in construction, get out of this profession or you will be working the rest of your life. Florida will never pay enough for a human standard of life.
    I bet you don't even know who your Florida state representative/senator are. Look them up and call their office. Tell them to stop defunding the FHP and push them for a reasonable salary and/or step plan. Call/email the Governor's office and tell them we need more Troopers and better pay.

It's easy to cry here on LEO Affairs. Start complaining to the people who have the real influence on your paycheck.

Unregistered
    I bet you don't even know who your Florida state representative/senator are. Look them up and call their office. Tell them to stop defunding the FHP and push them for a reasonable salary and/or step plan. Call/email the Governor's office and tell them we need more Troopers and better pay.

It's easy to cry here on LEO Affairs. Start complaining to the people who have the real influence on your paycheck.
    This is a true statement. If every Trooper took ten minutes to contact their legislators, we might make enough noise that they would realize there is a problem and do something to fix it. Throw in an email from an extra friend or family member for bonus noise.

Unregistered
    This is a true statement. If every Trooper took ten minutes to contact their legislators, we might make enough noise that they would realize there is a problem and do something to fix it. Throw in an email from an extra friend or family member for bonus noise.
    That has been done many times for many years. Even having a bus full of Troopers in tally during the session and nothing. They don’t care, cause they know they can always hire someone else every few years. They don’t care throwing money away at the academy and at troopers to train them for other agencies. It has been like that for years and it will never change. They always say every year is our year and it has never happened. They even had a pay structure on a educational development plan for the stupid senioriy stripes on your uniform and it went nowhere. Sad for such a good agency and a good job cause yes i love what i do and i love being a trooper. I have been a trooper for a very long time and sad to say I don’t really make that much money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast