Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-9

Unregistered

K-9

K-9 has become a total disaster.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    K-9 has become a total disaster.
    What is going on in that unit. People never left that unit. Now it’s every few months someone is leaving.

Unregistered
    What is going on in that unit. People never left that unit. Now it’s every few months someone is leaving.
    As a K9 handler from another city, I can tell you first hand that the job is a lot more stressful and rewarding than you think. The stress is not only the months of BASIC school training, and the continued weekly/daily training, but also knowing that you can be sued, shot/stabbed, or lose your partner at any time. It's also the fact that your specialized job is a privilege that can be taken away at anytime, and usually starting out with the phrase "we're heading in a different direction". I'm not even gonna get into the detection training/certification aspect. The reward comes when all that training, preparation and upkeep finds the bad guy, or how kids enjoy seeing your dog perform what they've been taught.

In my 20 years in K9, I've rarely ever heard anyone leaving this specialized unit until the past two or 3 years. The department I was in, to include several surrounding agencies, began to micromanage and try to re-invent the wheel (so-to speak) by placing a supervisor in charge that lacked any knowledge or experience in the field of K9. My last Captain felt the need to babysit us during training and would only speak negative comments to our Sergeant, but act like he's your best friend to your face. Of course, this training day also afforded him the opportunity to talk to his "side *****" at the same time. I digress... In a neighboring city, their K9 Sergeant decided to no longer allow their unit to train with other cities. Makes sense, right???? NOT!!! On a side note. BSO K9 has always had that aura surrounding them that they are better than any city agency and will not accept their assistance on any calls or participation in any of their training.

Most of the people they rotate into supervising any unit, is just another box they can check off on a future resume. They read up on a few articles written by some cop in podunk Arkansas, and feel as though they know everything. After the 2 or 3 year window of supervising a unit, they're off trying to re-invent the wheel again in another. Meanwhile, the unit they left, is now being supervised by another micromanager that only knows what they've read, and wants things done their way.

If the Chief of Police anywhere doesn't see that constantly having an inexperienced person in a stressful and in one of your highest liability units as a problem, He/She may have a big problem down the road.

Unregistered

Duh

What do you expect? Three Command staff were K9.

Unregistered
    They better make sure the next person they pick is 10-8 in all aspects. You pick the wrong person for that unit it can jeopardize, and dismantle that unit with one fck up.

Unregistered
    As a K9 handler from another city, I can tell you first hand that the job is a lot more stressful and rewarding than you think. The stress is not only the months of BASIC school training, and the continued weekly/daily training, but also knowing that you can be sued, shot/stabbed, or lose your partner at any time. Afterall, they are leading you right to the threat. It's also the fact that your specialized job is a privilege that can be taken away at anytime, and usually starting out with the phrase "we're heading in a different direction" before they do so. I'm not even gonna get into the detection training/certification aspect. The reward comes when all that training, preparation and upkeep finds the bad guy, or how kids enjoy seeing your dog perform what they've been taught.

In my 20 years in K9, I've rarely ever heard anyone leaving this specialized unit until the past two or 3 years. The department I was in, to include several surrounding agencies, began to micromanage and try to re-invent the wheel (so-to speak) by placing a supervisor in charge that lacked any knowledge or experience in the field of K9. My last Captain felt the need to babysit us during training and would only speak negative comments to our Sergeant, but act like he's your best friend to your face. Of course, this training day also afforded him the opportunity to talk to his "side *****" at the same time. I digress... In a neighboring city, their K9 Sergeant decided to no longer allow their unit to train with other cities unless he allowed it and was able be there also. Makes sense, right???? NOT!!! On a side note. BSO K9 has always had that aura surrounding them that they are better than any city agency and will not accept their assistance on any calls or participation in any of their training.

Most of the people they rotate into supervising any unit, is just another box they can check off on a future resume. They read up on a few articles written by some cop in podunk Arkansas, and feel as though they know everything. After the 2 or 3 year window of supervising a unit, they're off trying to re-invent the wheel, they're off phucking up some other specialized unit.

If your Chief (or Chief from any other City) doesn't see that as a problem, they will continuously have nothing but a new guy in one of the highest liability units any department can have.

Unregistered
    What do you expect? Three Command staff were K9.
    They sucked as officers, k9 handlers and now they are terrible as command staff. They are all inexperienced when it comes to police work. NC is an ass/chief with no uniform experience. SB no road experience. PL no supervisory experience. Then we have the BLM supporters. Can't wait to leave this circus.

Unregistered
    As a K9 handler from another city, I can tell you first hand that the job is a lot more stressful and rewarding than you think. The stress is not only the months of BASIC school training, and the continued weekly/daily training, but also knowing that you can be sued, shot/stabbed, or lose your partner at any time. Afterall, they are leading you right to the threat. It's also the fact that your specialized job is a privilege that can be taken away at anytime, and usually starting out with the phrase "we're heading in a different direction" before they do so. I'm not even gonna get into the detection training/certification aspect. The reward comes when all that training, preparation and upkeep finds the bad guy, or how kids enjoy seeing your dog perform what they've been taught.

In my 20 years in K9, I've rarely ever heard anyone leaving this specialized unit until the past two or 3 years. The department I was in, to include several surrounding agencies, began to micromanage and try to re-invent the wheel (so-to speak) by placing a supervisor in charge that lacked any knowledge or experience in the field of K9. My last Captain felt the need to babysit us during training and would only speak negative comments to our Sergeant, but act like he's your best friend to your face. Of course, this training day also afforded him the opportunity to talk to his "side *****" at the same time. I digress... In a neighboring city, their K9 Sergeant decided to no longer allow their unit to train with other cities unless he allowed it and was able be there also. Makes sense, right???? NOT!!! On a side note. BSO K9 has always had that aura surrounding them that they are better than any city agency and will not accept their assistance on any calls or participation in any of their training.

Most of the people they rotate into supervising any unit, is just another box they can check off on a future resume. They read up on a few articles written by some cop in podunk Arkansas, and feel as though they know everything. After the 2 or 3 year window of supervising a unit, they're off trying to re-invent the wheel, they're off phucking up some other specialized unit.

If your Chief (or Chief from any other City) doesn't see that as a problem, they will continuously have nothing but a new guy in one of the highest liability units any department can have.
    I hope someone with common sense in our command see’s this post.

Unregistered
    Lol PL is probably the most solid supervisor to walk the halls of HPD. The guy is top notch in all aspects of police work and supervisory roles. He takes care of his guys and speaks up when he needs to, unlike other Company men.

Unregistered
    Lol PL is probably the most solid supervisor to walk the halls of HPD. The guy is top notch in all aspects of police work and supervisory roles. He takes care of his guys and speaks up when he needs to, unlike other Company men.
    Relax and wipe the $hit off your nose. I’m sure he’ll make you a TL soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast