Where did this go wrong?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Where did this go wrong?

Can someone pinpoint for me the exact moment the mpdp took an absolute f***ing nosedive into its current state of bull****?

It seems like not a single person knows wtf they are doing. There’s no direction or leadership. The old cops say f this. The new cops say f you. Everyone’s moral is in the dumpster. The bureaus and districts are mostly dumpster fires with incompetent leadership. The ground floor personnel only look out for themselves. Wtf happened to us?

Is it hiring? Friends and family? Is it the changes in policing over the past few decades? Body worn cameras?

Not a troll here looking to start s**t. I’m looking for articulate answers from people young and old who want to get to the bottom of this so maybe it can be solved in the next generation or two.

Unregistered
    I don’t necessarily think it’s as grim as you say, but it is pretty grim. I’ve been here a loooong time and there have always been disgruntled employees. The things you mention as possible factors in the increased difficulty/decline of the profession? A combination of all these factors. BWC, to me, has led to the biggest change I’ve ever noticed in policing. Simply because there are things I can’t say that allow the person/subject/victim a window into how things work. Not because I can’t curse you out, because I’ve gotten past that for the most part. But just speaking plainly about the SAO or just the “justice” process itself, it’s just not PC enough for the camera.
    You mention valid points. My only advice to you, or at least my only reaction to what you’re saying? Don’t allow these things to change who you are, fundamentally. Don’t be a selfish asshole, don’t be a political climber over the backs of your friends, and don’t hesitate to do your job if you need to. “Getting in trouble” also happens due to inaction, not just making a mistake. And when you’re on the scene, dealing with the public, remember everything in that interaction can wind up on CNN. If you have to knock someone’s head off, commit to knocking off that head. You can get a new job if you have to, getting your jaw unwired after it gets busted is no fun. Be safe and hang in there. If you need professional help, seek it out. Insurance covers it. Those stressors combined with depression or PTSD can eff you up.
    Just remember there have always been things that are “wrong” with policing. We now have a bunch of amateurs trying to tell you how your job needs to be done. Shrug it off, they don’t know shit and you can prove it and articulate it if need be.

Unregistered
    Honestly, I don’t know where to start. I noticed an big decline under Patterson. It’s been down hill ever since.

Unregistered
    The department went South when Carlos Álvarez took over. Before that under Taylor, Jones and Purdy, investigators had lots of discretion to work their cases and attend all sorts of training through the country to better their skills. Carlos Álvarez was a uniform minded individual with no investigative experience. He destroyed every bureau he touched by promoting unqualified personnel for the sake of seeking the mayor’s office. Loftus was not too bad but he encouraged and promoted the two Neanderthals that came after him (Patterson and Perez). Today, we have a pre-pubescent boy in charge of our department. Hand-raised by his mentor Gimenez and willing to kneel for our anthem at the drop of a hat. A total disgrace. The next one will be worse for sure.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can someone pinpoint for me the exact moment the mpdp took an absolute f***ing nosedive into its current state of bull****?

It seems like not a single person knows wtf they are doing. There’s no direction or leadership. The old cops say f this. The new cops say f you. Everyone’s moral is in the dumpster. The bureaus and districts are mostly dumpster fires with incompetent leadership. The ground floor personnel only look out for themselves. Wtf happened to us?

Is it hiring? Friends and family? Is it the changes in policing over the past few decades? Body worn cameras?

Not a troll here looking to start s**t. I’m looking for articulate answers from people young and old who want to get to the bottom of this so maybe it can be solved in the next generation or two.
    Friends and family, Start there and then it goes on with unqualified or inexperienced officers being placed in positions they haven’t earned, wet behind the ears, due to hookups they been placed in places they have no. Lie about. Then we have some supervisors that try to live like they are bigger Becuz, of a gold badge or trying to compensate for other shortcomings, some are all admin and know nothing about the road only that book, policies and procedures. I would rather face a subject anytime than some jerk supervisor who never did real police work and lives by a book and uses the pen as a deadlier weapon than a subject uses violence.

Unregistered

I am saying F this

Unregistered

Friend and family is one of the 1st issues. They place them in cushy positions but, they also place them in units have no experience or clue about.

Unregistered
    I think it’s just dog eat dog out there. No one gives a crap about the guy or girl next to them. It’s every person for themselves and the supervisors who look out for the squad are few and far between. I think Loftus was a powerhouse of a Director. The guy was intimidating and commanded your attention and respect. Patterson? JP? Common.

The snakes currently out there running things behind the scene need to have the carpet yanked from underneath them and real leaders need to be put in place to effectuate some kind of positive change. The system of policing needs to go back to its original purpose. To protect and serve. Protecting by arresting every bad guy in sight. Serving by being there to help when asked for it. We can do better than this and everyone knows it. I may be living in a dream world but wouldn’t it be amazing if we were all on the same page and the backstabbing stopped?

Unregistered
    Friend and family is one of the 1st issues. They place them in cushy positions but, they also place them in units have no experience or clue about.
    That's what did it. We were already on a downward spiral, but the nepotism in this department is out of control. I dont have a reason to be disgruntled however I can completely understand those that do. The old timers have been burned out and anyone with more than 3 years on has seen some of the backstabbing and lies first hand. Do your job and go home. They act like they care but you are just another number to them.

Unregistered
    I’ve never seen it as bad as it is today. JP destroyed this department and G Perez/PV are taking the destruction to a new level. It’s not even worth mentioning this Director since he is a shadow of a man and completely non-existent.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast