Out of state questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Out of state questions

I’m currently a deputy sheriff in Georgia. The retirement is basically non-existent here, and the pay sucks. Have been putting serious thought into relocating to Florida for the state retirement. This agency caught my eye. I have a few questions.

-Does this agency give extra pay for certifications like FTO, ARIDE, stuff like that? I have those certifications in Georgia, will they transfer?

-I looked at older posts that said you have to start in the jail. Is that still the case? I am jail certified in Georgia, but I already did my time

-I have a bachelors degree and 7 years experience at this time. What is my starting pay likely going to look like? Do they pay more for prior training, degree, experience, etc?

-I currently have a courtesy apartment completely free where I am now. Is that unheard of there? If they do courtesy apartments, are they typically just discounted?

-Is micromanagement bad? Was a big issue at a prior agency I worked outside Atlanta.

-Are there opportunities for overtime?

Thank you, any other additional info would be great too!!

Unregistered
    I’m also military vet. They do any kind of pay bumps for that?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’m currently a deputy sheriff in Georgia. The retirement is basically non-existent here, and the pay sucks. Have been putting serious thought into relocating to Florida for the state retirement. This agency caught my eye. I have a few questions.

-Does this agency give extra pay for certifications like FTO, ARIDE, stuff like that? I have those certifications in Georgia, will they transfer?
    Yes. FTO’s (while active training) receive a $2-hr bump. If your class was FTO San Jose model, it will transfer.

-I looked at older posts that said you have to start in the jail. Is that still the case? I am jail certified in Georgia, but I already did my time
    No requirement to start in jail. They will hire you straight to the road.

-I have a bachelors degree and 7 years experience at this time. What is my starting pay likely going to look like? Do they pay more for prior training, degree, experience, etc?
    7 years experience will bring you in at step 3 on our (10-step) scale. Bachelors degree gives you a bump. State-certified training gives you a bump.

-I currently have a courtesy apartment completely free where I am now. Is that unheard of there? If they do courtesy apartments, are they typically just discounted?
    Not at all I heard of. There are courtesy officers throughout the county. County is huge-2200 sq miles. Plenty of opportunities to love free or near free.

-Is micromanagement bad? Was a big issue at a prior agency I worked outside Atlanta.
    Mehhh. Yes and no. As a patrolman, you can do your job generally with little pushback.

Yes. In the form of off-duty work or call-out or hospital watches. Whichever you prefer.

Unregistered
    Thank you kindly brother… or sister 😂

Unregistered
    In regards to the step pay plan, can I get some information on each step with how much it pays per year of experience?

Also, is your starting pay going up this October, and if so to what. Thanks again.

Unregistered
    In regards to the step pay plan, can I get some information on each step with how much it pays per year of experience?

Also, is your starting pay going up this October, and if so to what. Thanks again.
    Right now, steps go from 1-10. Here’s an idea of how they step up: (1-48,733, 3-52,204, 5-55,922, 8-62,002, 10-66,418). This is all base pay. As mentioned before, opportunities for additional pay with certain state training, a college degree, or master deputy status (avail after maxed out position).

As for increase, October starts the new budget year. We are expecting to get raises again then. We have received a bump most of the last 20 years, other than during the recession. In addition, it is not uncommon for the sheriff to adjust the entire scale around April every year (as he did this year) for COLA (inflation).

Unregistered
    Right now, steps go from 1-10. Here’s an idea of how they step up: (1-48,733, 3-52,204, 5-55,922, 8-62,002, 10-66,418). This is all base pay. As mentioned before, opportunities for additional pay with certain state training, a college degree, or master deputy status (avail after maxed out position).

As for increase, October starts the new budget year. We are expecting to get raises again then. We have received a bump most of the last 20 years, other than during the recession. In addition, it is not uncommon for the sheriff to adjust the entire scale around April every year (as he did this year) for COLA (inflation).

Thank you for the reply. How much do your overtime details pay? Can you write your own check when it comes to extra details and overtime?

What hours/shifts do you work?

Is your agency hard to get on with? Like you need to know someone type of deal..

Thanks

Unregistered

Go to Tampa Police

———————————————————————
    Go to the Tampa Police Department

20 and out
    You would start at step 3 ($65,600)
    step 10 ($97,800)

FRS pension has you out in 30 years.

Unregistered
    Thank you for the reply. How much do your overtime details pay? Can you write your own check when it comes to extra details and overtime?
    Detail rate goes to $45/hour starting Oct 1. Holidays and last minute put it upwards of $90/hour.

There are details that go u filled all the time. Not unlimited, but plenty to go around.

What hours/shifts do you work?
    All 12’s. 6a-6p, 6p-6a.

Is your agency hard to get on with? Like you need to know someone type of deal..
    Hard to get on? Yes. Somewhat. As long as you don’t come w a lot of baggage. But need to know someone, no.

Unregistered
    Detail rate goes to $45/hour starting Oct 1. Holidays and last minute put it upwards of $90/hour.

There are details that go u filled all the time. Not unlimited, but plenty to go around.

All 12’s. 6a-6p, 6p-6a.

Hard to get on? Yes. Somewhat. As long as you don’t come w a lot of baggage. But need to know someone, no.

What’s the call volume like? Is there the general mix of craziness?

How is morale?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast