Traffic crashes in Orange County - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    FHP needs to get the hell out of Orange County altogether. Just stick to the Turnpike and allocate those positions to I-95. Tell the Sheriff, here is your crappy county. But Tallahassee will never have the balls. Make it clear to all the Sheriff that we work with them, but not for them. It will never happen

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The not working car crashes mantra started before Kevin Beary. Lawson Lamar and Walt Gallagher also refused to allow their deputies to work wrecks.
    I'm the poster who referenced Beary. You're absolutely correct that the policy began before his tenure; however after some controversy in the early 2000's about wait times for crash reports routinely exceeding several hours, there was a momentum by the press for OCSO to start working some crashes. Even ****inson at GHQ thought it was going to happen, until Beary just flat out wouldn't negotiate.

There's another post here about us working with the Sheriffs and not for them....here's a story to reiterate the reality of the situation: FHP Administration will roll over at every opportunity for the Sheriffs. A little over 12 years ago there was an Trooper in a North Florida Troop. He did his job, and due to the low call volume of the county he was assigned, has plenty of time to write UTCs, which he did. He received very few complaints and was considered a good worker. However, it was an election year, and citizens he wrote UTCs to would often gripe to the Sheriff about getting tickets. This smaller-county Sheriff asked the then-Troop Commander if he could move this particular Trooper out of the county and guess what.....poof, just like that the Trooper was directed to focus on other areas of his assigned District.

FHP will always play second fiddle to the Sheriff's and the most powerful interest group in Florida, the FSA....unless and until we get another Colonel like Grimming who will stand up for the agency's independence......of course such a stand also puts a political target on you that most Colonels don't want.

Unregistered
    Very informative. I work for a PD in Broward and was unaware that a Sheriffs Office decline to do traffic crashes. We all attended the academy and crash portion was 80 hours.

Crime scene was 40 hours. So basically the Sheriff's Office is lazy up north. I like crashes, traffic court pays 3 hour's overtim for 1 hour. I love being a Tango unit. All the overtime and day's off.

Unregistered
    Very informative. I work for a PD in Broward and was unaware that a Sheriffs Office decline to do traffic crashes. We all attended the academy and crash portion was 80 hours.

Crime scene was 40 hours. So basically the Sheriff's Office is lazy up north. I like crashes, traffic court pays 3 hour's overtim for 1 hour. I love being a Tango unit. All the overtime and day's off.
    Original Poster here, and you brought up an interesting topic. What is stopping a municipal police chief from saying "We're not working crashes" ? There are many cities with a higher population and call load than some counties. What would happen if the City of Orlando said "hey, FHP, all crashes are now your responsibility.....good luck!"

Unregistered
    Original Poster here, and you brought up an interesting topic. What is stopping a municipal police chief from saying "We're not working crashes" ? There are many cities with a higher population and call load than some counties. What would happen if the City of Orlando said "hey, FHP, all crashes are now your responsibility.....good luck!"
    I wish they would. Im sure when one of the politicians crash and they have to wait 5 hrs, then we wil hear about it. I dont care, I work one at a time. Hurry up and wait

Unregistered
    In my county, if we tell the sheriff that we are more than 10 minutes away they cancel us. We handle mostly Interstate unless is a fatal or medflight. The sheriff here actually takes pride of his community and thats why the crime rate is so low. No wonder Orlando is a shithole, last place I would move to.. I avoid driving thru there unless I have to.

Unregistered
    I wish they would. Im sure when one of the politicians crash and they have to wait 5 hrs, then we wil hear about it. I dont care, I work one at a time. Hurry up and wait
    Usually in Broward you see more then 3 troopers on signal 4 oh boy. Driver's go crazy on speeding. Thats truly sad SO won't help out. Longest ive had accident party waited 1 hr and 20 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12