Best way to deal with disingenuous coworkers or supervisor

Unregistered

Best way to deal with disingenuous coworkers or supervisor

Advice on the title above from people who have been in police work a long time

Unregistered
    [QUOTE=Unregistered;3294607]Advice on the title above from people who have been in police work a long time[/Hostile-aggressives, who are usually antagonistic and impolite,
    Complainers, who spend most of their time moaning about their troubles,
    Silent or unresponsive clams, who seem to ignore you and your questions,
    Super-agreeable friendly types, who don’t follow through on their promises,
    Wet-blanket negativist, who can bring down the morale of a group with their pessimism,
    Know-it all experts, who think their way is the only right way, and
    Indecisives, who keep changing their minds and have trouble making decisions.

Pick one of the above and pick a PCSO supervisor. They won’t admit it but most of them possess one of the above listed traits.

Unregistered
    Col PC - Super-agreeable friendly types, who don’t follow through on their promises, political butt kisser

Capt. AM and SS - Hostile-aggressives, who are usually antagonistic and impolite,

Capt. JN - Indecisives, who keep changing their minds and have trouble making decisions.

Capt. JG - Know-it all experts, who think their way is the only right way

Capt. GD - Silent or unresponsive clams, who seem to ignore you and your questions

Maj. JL - Know-it all experts, who think their way is the only right way

Capt. JS - Wet-blanket negativist, who can bring down the morale of a group with their pessimism

These azz-clowns have other bad habits but they fit some of the ones the OP posted.

Unregistered
    Know your General Orders and SOP’s. Many supervisors will not know them well and will then accidentally have you doing things that conflict with them.

Keep a notebook with dates and times of things that are in conflict with the GO’s. Document what you did to try and rectify the situation.

Email always. Don’t rely on conversations. It will eventually be your word against theirs. You’ll always lose. Even if you had a conversation send a follow up email along the lines of “in regards to our conversation on (date and time) I’d like to make sure I understand (then state the issue). If they’re in the wrong they won’t reply, they’ll call you or speak again in person so they can later deny.

You may have to email the next person in your chain of command to let them know the issue. Every higher up brags about “open door” policies. Use them but don’t be surprised if you get blasted by someone for using the open door policy.

You may have to email Car 1. He often is not aware of issues because the higher ups try to keep him insulated from it so he doesn’t blast them. Be prepared for the fall out but you’ll also let your chain know you’re not afraid to reach higher on the chain of command. (Here’s where knowing the GO’s and SOP’s comes in as they will try to retaliate against you by writing you up for rules violations).

Absolute worst case. By rule anyone can file a written complaint with AID. Find the rule they broke, lay it out in a complaint and fire away. But again, be prepared. They will want revenge. Make sure you’ve exhausted all other avenues before you do the AID complaint and be prepared for the “impartial” AID investigator to take the side of the supervisor you “write up”.

And yes, it’s been done in the past.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Know your General Orders and SOP’s. Many supervisors will not know them well and will then accidentally have you doing things that conflict with them.

Keep a notebook with dates and times of things that are in conflict with the GO’s. Document what you did to try and rectify the situation.

Email always. Don’t rely on conversations. It will eventually be your word against theirs. You’ll always lose. Even if you had a conversation send a follow up email along the lines of “in regards to our conversation on (date and time) I’d like to make sure I understand (then state the issue). If they’re in the wrong they won’t reply, they’ll call you or speak again in person so they can later deny.

You may have to email the next person in your chain of command to let them know the issue. Every higher up brags about “open door” policies. Use them but don’t be surprised if you get blasted by someone for using the open door policy.

You may have to email Car 1. He often is not aware of issues because the higher ups try to keep him insulated from it so he doesn’t blast them. Be prepared for the fall out but you’ll also let your chain know you’re not afraid to reach higher on the chain of command. (Here’s where knowing the GO’s and SOP’s comes in as they will try to retaliate against you by writing you up for rules violations).

Absolute worst case. By rule anyone can file a written complaint with AID. Find the rule they broke, lay it out in a complaint and fire away. But again, be prepared. They will want revenge. Make sure you’ve exhausted all other avenues before you do the AID complaint and be prepared for the “impartial” AID investigator to take the side of the supervisor you “write up”.

Go away sega

Unregistered

thanks for the advice

just needed advice it seems where I currently am there is a complete lack of aunthencity

Unregistered
    just needed advice it seems where I currently am there is a complete lack of aunthencity
    It sounds like all you need is a hug and maybe a binky.

Unregistered
    It sounds like all you need is a hug and maybe a binky.
    not really
    perhaps I worded it poorly.
    More so I was surprised by the sheer amount of asskissing and backstabbing that goes on at this job.

Alot of leadership is filled with individuals who hide behind their rank and badge, its
    unfortunate. You would think at a job where your at this much risk on a daily basis (depends on location of course) there would a lack of this kind of behavior and more clear communication and less toxicity.

Just my 2C but hey call me a big baby if you’d like bur you cant deny the prevalance of this behavior.
    After all, half of thia forum is filled of complaints of deceitful ans hypocrital leadership.