Pay

Thread: Pay

Unregistered

Pay

How is it working for this dept pay and overtime? Take home? How is the command staff?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    How is it working for this dept pay and overtime? Take home? How is the command staff?
    For the amount of work and danger, pay sucks. Overtime is here and there. Can take your car home up to palm beach county. Command staff sucks. We got rid of one loser and now we need to get rid of the chief then maybe we can talk. If you want good experience, this is the place. But if you’re white, be ready to deal with some good ol racism. Miami shores is hiring at 60k and a few other departments in broward are hiring like crazy! Many are starting in the 60s and have 20-year retirement plans. MGPD has 30. Good luck to whatever you choose to do.

Unregistered

My two cents

For the amount of work and danger, pay sucks. Overtime is here and there. Can take your car home up to palm beach county. Command staff sucks. We got rid of one loser and now we need to get rid of the chief then maybe we can talk. If you want good experience, this is the place. But if you’re white, be ready to deal with some good ol racism. Miami shores is hiring at 60k and a few other departments in broward are hiring like crazy! Many are starting in the 60s and have 20-year retirement plans. MGPD has 30. Good luck to whatever you choose to do.
    Well, it’s all about perspective I guess, so I’ll add my two cents. Not everything that the above poster wrote is 100% fact, however that is his/her perspective and we see a differently. I’m sure somebody else to write something saying that not everything I say is 100% fact, but again it’s the way I see it.
    If you are a rookie that has 2 to 4 years under your belt, this is a great place to work and learn. It’s busy here. You’ll go from call to call to call and will handle a lot of BS. In your first 12 months you will handle every type of police call there is and then some. So you will learn (well as long as your teamed up with a good FTO.
    You will also deal with incompetent command staff, and some first line supervisors, some of which should have been retired long time ago. But this is Miami Gardens, so we’ve got what we’ve got.
    Pay sucks Because we haven’t kept up with the times and other departments have pulled ahead of us. The previous elected officials hated police, so they kept us in the dark for sometime and let our pay go stagnant. They also took some benefits away from us, but the new mayor is very pro police and I believe that he’s trying to make it right (again my opinion). The city manager cannot be trusted, and he has been the cause of a lot of our problems behind our back‘s. so there’s that.

We lost a lot of good officers and supervisors to other agencies because of the lack of a step plan and incompetent leadership.

You’ll work your butt off for $60,000. It’s not worth it in my opinion if you are a senior officer. There are plenty of other departments that start you off better than what we offer, and they have a lot of other benefits, like longevity pay, a step plan, take home, etc. Larger departments also have more units to do lateral moves to, for when you get tired of the road And want to go try something else.
    Our department does not have its own a defined identity yet. We have been active since December 2007 and we keep hiring these recycled command staff from Miami-Dade PD and city of Miami PD, so our identity it’s all screwed up, because they each want to bring something from the county or the city and we end up with just BS policies and directives.

So if you want a challenge and you want to learn police work, then come work with us and stay 2 to 4 years. Then pick up and go to a larger agency, like the county, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach, BSO, Boca PD or even PBSO. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Unregistered
    Well, it’s all about perspective I guess, so I’ll add my two cents. Not everything that the above poster wrote is 100% fact, however that is his/her perspective and we see a differently. I’m sure somebody else to write something saying that not everything I say is 100% fact, but again it’s the way I see it.
    If you are a rookie that has 2 to 4 years under your belt, this is a great place to work and learn. It’s busy here. You’ll go from call to call to call and will handle a lot of BS. In your first 12 months you will handle every type of police call there is and then some. So you will learn (well as long as your teamed up with a good FTO.
    You will also deal with incompetent command staff, and some first line supervisors, some of which should have been retired long time ago. But this is Miami Gardens, so we’ve got what we’ve got.
    Pay sucks Because we haven’t kept up with the times and other departments have pulled ahead of us. The previous elected officials hated police, so they kept us in the dark for sometime and let our pay go stagnant. They also took some benefits away from us, but the new mayor is very pro police and I believe that he’s trying to make it right (again my opinion). The city manager cannot be trusted, and he has been the cause of a lot of our problems behind our back‘s. so there’s that.

We lost a lot of good officers and supervisors to other agencies because of the lack of a step plan and incompetent leadership.

You’ll work your butt off for $60,000. It’s not worth it in my opinion if you are a senior officer. There are plenty of other departments that start you off better than what we offer, and they have a lot of other benefits, like longevity pay, a step plan, take home, etc. Larger departments also have more units to do lateral moves to, for when you get tired of the road And want to go try something else.
    Our department does not have its own a defined identity yet. We have been active since December 2007 and we keep hiring these recycled command staff from Miami-Dade PD and city of Miami PD, so our identity it’s all screwed up, because they each want to bring something from the county or the city and we end up with just BS policies and directives.

So if you want a challenge and you want to learn police work, then come work with us and stay 2 to 4 years. Then pick up and go to a larger agency, like the county, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach, BSO, Boca PD or even PBSO. I hope this helps, and good luck.
    Thank you very much. Just want to gain experience as well as get paid a nice salary to start. Then move on from there. Does the dept offer shift differential?

Unregistered

Does Miami Gardens offer shift differential and step raises?

Unregistered
    Does Miami Gardens offer shift differential and step raises?
    I guess you don’t understand the concept of reading comprehension. You questions were already answered in the precocious post but you decide to repost the same question twice. Detective isn’t your strong suit I see. Go apply for Wal-Mart.

Unregistered
    I guess you don’t understand the concept of reading comprehension. You questions were already answered in the precocious post but you decide to repost the same question twice. Detective isn’t your strong suit I see. Go apply for Wal-Mart.
    I’m not the same person who asked the first time smart ass. The question was never answered

Unregistered
    Yes, there is a shift diff and there are step raises in place per the collective bargaining agreement. And a ton of offduty work for extra income.

Unregistered
    Yes, there is a shift diff and there are step raises in place per the collective bargaining agreement. And a ton of offduty work for extra income.
    Absolutely true! However, the shift differential and the "tons of off-duties" (which we can't cover and have to rely on other agencies for help) should not be an indicator of a "good" department. Read the lengthy post. It should answer lots of your questions, and also read between the lines....Police work is NOT what you see on TV shows.

Good luck and as always, stay safe!

There's plenty of other places around that are better, with better pay, better benefits, better leadership, etc. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Unregistered
    Absolutely true! However, the shift differential and the "tons of off-duties" (which we can't cover and have to rely on other agencies for help) should not be an indicator of a "good" department. Read the lengthy post. It should answer lots of your questions, and also read between the lines....Police work is NOT what you see on TV shows.

Good luck and as always, stay safe!

There's plenty of other places around that are better, with better pay, better benefits, better leadership, etc. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
    With a department of over 200+ sworn, is there a reason why so many jobs go unfilled? I understand the events at the stadium but what about the rest?