Recored your supervisor if you feel threatened - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    not sure if you're trolling or not, but it's actually good advice. do NOT trust anyone and look out for yourself. there is no "brotherhood" - at least not really...that only happens when tragedy strikes...but for all other times, cya - recording/documenting the brass when they're being abusive (which is like whenever their ego is challenged) is a good idea to get changes to hostile work environments they often cultivate.
    Not trolling, because I did not believe this but found out the hard way, experiencing it on my own skin and watching what others went through.

Early in my career I talked to a senior sergeant about the "brotherhood", watching out and backing each other, etc. He told me it was all BS.

The only "brotherhood" is at funerals, and even there the brass' apparent compassion is mostly fake.

Unregistered
    I hate to admit this, but you are right. You have a really good chance of being burned by your chain of command when you did everything right. 30 years ago, or even 25, they knew if you were a good officer or not and they simply took a quick look at any given situation and applied policy fairly. They actually looked out for people up and down the chain. Even turd cops and slugs would jam themselves up, the chain wouldn't lie or fabricate incidents to get them jammed up, they would wait for the individual to box themselves in. Now it seems there are barriers between us and them. I did say that: "Us and Them". It feels exactly like that ..like the cold war. They have politicians above them that always want to dump the problems and blame on us, and they pass it down hill. They got us bWC's for safety and legal reasons, but they can and will be used form other purposes, which further erodes the loyalty up and down the chain. If you hear something like "we just want to have a quick informal chat behind closed doors" You had better record it. If all goes well, fine you have a file to delete later. But how would you like to have two of them present a version that never happened to your one voice? You will wish you had recorded it.

Unregistered
    I hate to admit this, but you are right. You have a really good chance of being burned by your chain of command when you did everything right. 30 years ago, or even 25, they knew if you were a good officer or not and they simply took a quick look at any given situation and applied policy fairly. They actually looked out for people up and down the chain. Even turd cops and slugs would jam themselves up, the chain wouldn't lie or fabricate incidents to get them jammed up, they would wait for the individual to box themselves in. Now it seems there are barriers between us and them. I did say that: "Us and Them". It feels exactly like that ..like the cold war. They have politicians above them that always want to dump the problems and blame on us, and they pass it down hill. They got us bWC's for safety and legal reasons, but they can and will be used form other purposes, which further erodes the loyalty up and down the chain. If you hear something like "we just want to have a quick informal chat behind closed doors" You had better record it. If all goes well, fine you have a file to delete later. But how would you like to have two of them present a version that never happened to your one voice? You will wish you had recorded it.
    Keep your body worn cameras close and your enemies closer. Record and if they tell you to turn it off tell them no.

Unregistered
    Keep your body worn cameras close and your enemies closer. Record and if they tell you to turn it off tell them no.

Don't use your BWC for this. There are dozens of options. You can find them in minutes. The BWC footage belongs to the SO and the taxpayers, if and when they want it. Stay out of that hole. Also, they look for that anyway. Use your own equipment. It's not even expensive.

Unregistered
    Don't use your BWC for this. There are dozens of options. You can find them in minutes. The BWC footage belongs to the SO and the taxpayers, if and when they want it. Stay out of that hole. Also, they look for that anyway. Use your own equipment. It's not even expensive.
    Thank you for pointing out that fact. The BWC footage is public record and property of the agency. It is also against GO rules to destroy pertinent evidence in order to cover up a serious violation. So make a copy for yourself before you hand it over to them to either erase or alter. Don't trust them because they will backstab you in a heartbeat if it suits their purpose.

Unregistered
    Pretty bad when your job requires that you deal with an indifferent public, some of whom dislike police, criminals who hate law enforcement, and the brass which not only refuses to back you up but will backstab you at every opportunity. No wonder very few people want to be cops nowadays and the ones who have put in their time want to get out ASAP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12