Career advice?

Thread: Career advice?

Unregistered

Career advice?

Hello all. Need some advice from you all. I know this typically is not the place to ask for it because you get the gauntlet of answers from truth to cynicism but here it goes…

If you were close to maxing out would you put in for detective and/or wait to take the corporal’s exam (cause your chances are moderate to good) or max out then try later?

I am going back and forth over the two primary schools of thought being max out first then promote because they might stop giving them out (steps/raises). The other being you never turn down a potential promotion because you will never know if or when the window of opportunity will happen again.

What do y’all think?

Thanks for those have have served, are serving, and will one day serve this great county, state, and country.

Unregistered
    Detective work is a different beast than patrol. If you want the position take it. While you think you have a moderate to good chance of getting promoted, many find the journey longer than expected. If you have strong enough connections and have received the nod, bypass the detective position and wait for the expected/promised promotion. That’s my two cents….

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Detective work is a different beast than patrol. If you want the position take it. While you think you have a moderate to good chance of getting promoted, many find the journey longer than expected. If you have strong enough connections and have received the nod, bypass the detective position and wait for the expected/promised promotion. That’s my two cents….
    Thank you for the sound advice. It’s appreciated!