Proposed law might prohibit law enforcement from agency hopping

Unregistered

Proposed law might prohibit law enforcement from agency hopping

https://www.yahoo.com/news/proposed-...194700624.html

Maybe this will cut down on the rejects and losers we hire from other agencies.

Unregistered
    This is in New York. They are going to have bigger problems trying to retain officers after getting rid of qualified immunity. The only hires they will have are the least qualified that are dumb enough to do the job.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is in New York. They are going to have bigger problems trying to retain officers after getting rid of qualified immunity. The only hires they will have are the least qualified that are dumb enough to do the job.
    There is also federal legislation in the works for this as part of Biden's police reform plan. Federal registration would prevent washed out cops from switching to other agencies. Oh well, there are plenty of private security jobs out there.

Unregistered
    At least 50 to 60% of our deputies are wash outs from other agencies. We wouldn't be able to hire anyone, the best and smartest go to tpd or federal anymore

Unregistered
    At least 50 to 60% of our deputies are wash outs from other agencies. We wouldn't be able to hire anyone, the best and smartest go to tpd or federal anymore
    I know 4 of our former Deputies that are at TPD that have a lot of regret over the switch.

We also pick up good candidates from other agencies that come here for better pay to improve their pension in FRS.

That being said...fix the FTO program. The 5% is great but EVERY FTO I talk to says they have tried to document poor candidates and wash them out when a pattern evolves. Said candidates are coddled and moved to another FTO that is softer and pushes them through. I get that we have attrition problems, that was true even before the climate change. Ive even heard stories about recruits that quit, get talked into staying, then resign anyway.

Unregistered
    I know 4 of our former Deputies that are at TPD that have a lot of regret over the switch.

We also pick up good candidates from other agencies that come here for better pay to improve their pension in FRS.

That being said...fix the FTO program. The 5% is great but EVERY FTO I talk to says they have tried to document poor candidates and wash them out when a pattern evolves. Said candidates are coddled and moved to another FTO that is softer and pushes them through. I get that we have attrition problems, that was true even before the climate change. Ive even heard stories about recruits that quit, get talked into staying, then resign anyway.
    Back in 2006-2009, FTOs were told of the sheriff hired the new hire then the new hire was qualified to do the job. If the new hire doesn’t do well in FTO, he or she will eventually learn the job. The agency didn’t want to waste the money for the academy on the new hire. Now, god help you if you are training this new hire and he messes up. It could come back to haunt you as you trained him and you might be sued. This is why the FTO program isn’t worth it. We had more fun in early 2000s.

Unregistered

TPD is 20 and out or you can do up to 7 in its DROP.

TPD pension has a COLA. FRS does not.

TPD pension is a great benefit while FRS is no longer a good pension. It's a no-brainer to switch to TPD.

Unregistered

Fake News

I know this is LEOAffairs and the ultimate place for crap talking and fake news, but this my friend, takes the cake. You know FOUR ex PCSO deputies that regret going to TPD? I find that really hard to believe. Is it any of the ones working in kick ass specialty units or who were promoted at TPD to positions of increased pay and authority and not a billet with Velcro stripes that you guys strip on and off?

I call 100 percent BS on your alleged four deputies and their regrets. If they regret it, it’s because they probably got too used to sitting in that brand new Tahoe not having to get dirty, take calls that have held for hours or deal with any real dirtbags that Tampa has no shortage of. Can’t say I would blame them, but I guarantee you they don’t regret the move when that paycheck hits or when they retire with that sweet pension in 20 years, or even less if they bought time.

If you are not full of shizzz, then you would be the first person in history to find not one person * but FOUR * from the same agency that regrets going to TPD from another dept. You should put your amazing talent to work and go find Bigfoot next. I’d believe that first.