New position
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New position

Unregistered

New position

Saw the position posted checked out your affairs site looks similar to most departments big question is.... How is the morale?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Saw the position posted checked out your affairs site looks similar to most departments big question is.... How is the morale?
    Well, I guess you answered your own question then... shi**y... similar to most departments.

What I can tell you is, our morale, is self inflicted, unlike other departments that have morale issues stemming from burnout and calls that could potentially cause officers to lose their lives or lead them to handcuffs.

Our morale issues are strictly driven by bad leadership and the embarrassment that comes along with working in the university law enforcement profession. Just like airport cops, wildlife cops, reservation cops etc., campus cops are categorized as “not the real police”. Some can embrace this, some cannot. What can make this stigma more tolerable, is good leadership and an atmosphere that is non toxic. Our command fails to recognize this, which makes working conditions worse than the surrounding agencies.

This job could be the best around with the proper leadership. Our benefits are amazing, the pay is manageable and we literally do nothing during the average shift. If we could stop playing County, get rid of the hideous dogs that we don’t need, and refocus our attention to patrol, this place would be great. Unfortunately, to do this, our command would have to be completely restructured and those that cause issues would need to leave. This will never happen until the University steps in to assist.

My advice would be to stay far away until this place is managed differently.

Unregistered
    Well, I guess you answered your own question then... shi**y... similar to most departments.

What I can tell you is, our morale, is self inflicted, unlike other departments that have morale issues stemming from burnout and calls that could potentially cause officers to lose their lives or lead them to handcuffs.

Our morale issues are strictly driven by bad leadership and the embarrassment that comes along with working in the university law enforcement profession. Just like airport cops, wildlife cops, reservation cops etc., campus cops are categorized as “not the real police”. Some can embrace this, some cannot. What can make this stigma more tolerable, is good leadership and an atmosphere that is non toxic. Our command fails to recognize this, which makes working conditions worse than the surrounding agencies.

This job could be the best around with the proper leadership. Our benefits are amazing, the pay is manageable and we literally do nothing during the average shift. If we could stop playing County, get rid of the hideous dogs that we don’t need, and refocus our attention to patrol, this place would be great. Unfortunately, to do this, our command would have to be completely restructured and those that cause issues would need to leave. This will never happen until the University steps in to assist.

My advice would be to stay far away until this place is managed differently.
    Wow, I wasn't even going to read this long post as it was too long, but I did and it really hits the nail right on the head. Who ever posted that should be given a position in Command here for their insight. If you do get hired here, you will be asked by your friends that went to the academy...., "How did you get hired there? That was the first place I applied to but was rejected. The career here in law enforcement is a hidden Gem in Hillsborough County out of all the surrounding agencies. It is work load vs. the benefits and pay of the job as a career here.

*It is a shame that very poor Admin. that runs this place ruins the job here as it is a great job to work and spend a career at.

Unregistered
    It really could be a hidden gem and God forbid you think it can be improved. You'll be labeled as being disgruntled and a complainer. The admin here is a disaster and takes no responsibility for the damage it's done. They see you as the problem.

Unregistered
    Working here, does remind me of high school. But, it is just the opposite of high school...., the ones that were not accepted in high school have gotten a badge and gun now and try to be the cool people and if you are not in the liked group you are screwed really for advancement. Thank God, there are some level headed people that work here at this place.

Unregistered
    The department is great! You will absolutely love the patrol Lieutenant! I wake up every day and just can’t wait to get to work!

Unregistered
    It is very easy to blame command for all of the problems here at this agency and don't get me wrong, they are not perfect. But let's not forget that the vast majority of the Sergents and Corporals here have no business in leadership positions. First line and mid level supervisors that don't show up to work and are always self serving, add significantly to the low morale and toxicity here. Our Sergents and Corporals should be creating a buffer for us and should be shielding us from any of the political BS they deal with (that's what they get paid for). But when my Sergent/Corporal can't make it to work, or they vent to the entire squad about how much they hate this place and can't stand their boss, ultimately, I hate this place too. The problems they are paid to deal with roll right down to the working level guy/gal, who already deal with enough stress on the job as it is. Our retired on duty Sergeants and Corporals need to step up or step down. It's easy for them to blame their bosses for the issues here and at what point do we start start blaming them for their contributions to the problem!

Unregistered
    The Lt.'s here are something else. One of them I don't know if he is even human or part robot. The guy will pass you in the small hallway and not even acknowledge you and walk right pass you. The same type of guy you will get onto an elevator with, just you and him and and say hello and he won't say a word to you. The other one is just a pure prick and enjoys belittling you and is all about writing you up for something first choice when he can. Both of these guys are very smart, but have terrible personalities and should have never been put in a position to lead or supervise people. The one LT. that was good and has a decent personality didn't want the job due to the micromagnet and stress they put on you here decided out of it. We need help here.

Unregistered
    The Lt.'s here are something else. One of them I don't know if he is even human or part robot. The guy will pass you in the small hallway and not even acknowledge you and walk right pass you. The same type of guy you will get onto an elevator with, just you and him and and say hello and he won't say a word to you. The other one is just a pure prick and enjoys belittling you and is all about writing you up for something first choice when he can. Both of these guys are very smart, but have terrible personalities and should have never been put in a position to lead or supervise people. The one LT. that was good and has a decent personality didn't want the job due to the micromagnet and stress they put on you here decided out of it. We need help here.
    Don’t listen to this cuck! He can’t do the job so he gets treated as such.

Cpl your drunk again!

Unregistered
    Don’t listen to this cuck! He can’t do the job so he gets treated as such.

Cpl your drunk again!
    I agree the Cpl is drunk again but are we really going to defend the Lt's?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast