Uniforms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniforms

Unregistered

Uniforms

I’m curious how you guys feel about the white uniforms for patrol purposes. My agency used to have them back in the day but eventually switched to a traditional color. I’d imagine in the Florida heat it helps versus a green uniform, but I can also see how it would get dirtier easier, even from basic tasks. Do you guys just carry extra shirts in your car in that instance?

I also read something online that HCSO pays a fine every year to the sheriffs association due to not having green uniforms. Is that true? Something about the standards being set for every SO in the state and if they aren’t folllowed then you get fined.

Unregistered
    Please produce the source of the information regarding the fine.

Unregistered
    It was a comment on a forum, maybe even this site but a different SO’s sub forum. A quick google search doesn’t show anything besides a statute in regards to SO vehicles

30.46 Sheriffs; motor vehicles color combination; badges; simulation prohibited; penalties.—
    (1) The color combination of forest green and white is adopted as the official color for use on the motor vehicles and motorcycles used by the various sheriffs of Florida and their deputies.

Unregistered
    If you ask the people who spend their entire day wearing green/black polos and khakis to the office, they’ll tell your they’re “tradition” and despite whatever feedback they receive, they won’t waiver or change them beyond adjustments like the material or adding a pocket.

If you ask the people who actually wear them to work everyday, those that have to put all the cabs/pins on day in and day out then worry about them getting ripped off during a resist, those that can’t effectively lay latent dust without spending the rest of their shift looking like pigpen, or those that have to make a tactical approach looking like a flashlight, the answer is simple.

The whites are great for a Class A uniform, but they aren’t functional for day to day functions, plain and simple.

It’s also disappointing that despite all the studies proving the chronic long term back injuries created by the duty belt, we still won’t move to a load bearing vest, but hey, I guess overall health should take a backseat to perception, right?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you ask the people who spend their entire day wearing green/black polos and khakis to the office, they’ll tell your they’re “tradition” and despite whatever feedback they receive, they won’t waiver or change them beyond adjustments like the material or adding a pocket.

If you ask the people who actually wear them to work everyday, those that have to put all the cabs/pins on day in and day out then worry about them getting ripped off during a resist, those that can’t effectively lay latent dust without spending the rest of their shift looking like pigpen, or those that have to make a tactical approach looking like a flashlight, the answer is simple.

The whites are great for a Class A uniform, but they aren’t functional for day to day functions, plain and simple.

It’s also disappointing that despite all the studies proving the chronic long term back injuries created by the duty belt, we still won’t move to a load bearing vest, but hey, I guess overall health should take a backseat to perception, right?
    Great post. Awesome post. See my post titled “Disconnect” on the Short Staffed thread. Our leaders don’t care. They wear polos and suits. It they have a hint of caring, they do the usual... They creat a committee, create three supervisor positions to run it, fill the committee with brown nosing suck asss deputies, then the committee tell the brass what they want to hear. Then as a reward, all those deputies get promoted and moved to useless positions off the streets where the real workers are critically short handed. THEY DONT CARE. IT DONT MATTER. The only time they change the uniforms, a little, is when a new sheriff wants to make their mark. Not for us, not for function. Move it along.

Unregistered

It’s not asking too much to change the color of the shirt we have now from white to green and have Velcro stitching for stuff on the uniform instead of cab pins that always fall off or get caught on stuff. A load bearing vest would save the agency a lot of money and keep manpower up with less people being out from back and hip injuries. If you are worried about not looking too tactical get them all in green. It could work.

Unregistered
    I am glad to have found this thread discussing uniforms. It is rather disturbing to see a person wearing slacks and a polo style shirt with a sidearm on their hip without any designation that the person is a law-enforcement officer across their back or upon their sleeves. I can only assume that the individual had something on the front of the shirt, but am uncertain. Regardless, anyone that wears a side arm ought to easily be recognized as a law enforcement officer, not left two wondering.

Unregistered
    I am glad to have found this thread discussing uniforms. It is rather disturbing to see a person wearing slacks and a polo style shirt with a sidearm on their hip without any designation that the person is a law-enforcement officer across their back or upon their sleeves. I can only assume that the individual had something on the front of the shirt, but am uncertain. Regardless, anyone that wears a side arm ought to easily be recognized as a law enforcement officer, not left two wondering.
    I’m glad you found this thread as well. I’m also glad to report that no one gives a crap what you think.

Unregistered
    I’m glad you found this thread as well. I’m also glad to report that no one gives a crap what you think.

Douchebag sez what??

Unregistered
    Well, for liability reasons, maybe someone should care what I think. With such a smart ass comment, maybe I will just make a big deal about this and take it in as a personal challenge to change things. After all, there can be an overwhelming liability when someone dressed in such attire, without badges and/or patches. I would hate to see someone dressed as such use deadly force after someone didn’t recognize the law enforcement officer. You want all of the nice changes and upgrades but with your mindset, maybe you should be wearing a diaper. And to consider, once my letter hits the Sheriff’s desk, he will not have plausible deniability. Do they really issue you bullets and a gun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast