“Police Reform” is not possible but curbing citizen behavior is.

Unregistered

“Police Reform” is not possible but curbing citizen behavior is.

Yesterday we saw an idiotic police officer get convicted of a horrible crime. The damage done by his actions will haunt our profession for years.
    Now that the verdict is out, we hear every political opportunist talk about “police reform”. What exactly does that mean? No more neck chokeholds, body cameras, sensitivity training, no-knock warrants, no vehicle chase, etc? All those measures are already in place at MDPD.
    I do not know about you but as long as I have worked here, I have not heard a fellow officer say “let’s go out and hurt African Americans”. If someone did say that to me, we would have issues.
    Institutional racism? I don’t think so. Our MDPD is a very progressive organization. Officers of every race and ethnicity have gone up the chain. We live in a community where minorities own businesses, get elected to office and enjoy good and productive lives.
    As long as police officers encounter criminal and law abiding citizens, there will be friction and that may lead to violence. Though the emphasis is on “police reform”, there are other glaring avenues that need to be explored. For example, the moment you are stopped by an officer, comply with the lawful demands. If you wish to file a complaint you are entitled to do so. Do not resort to violence or you will be another statistic. Instead of telling your children that all police are racist help dispel that lie. Police are there to help and the results of your actions will bring them to your door.
    Last but not least, curtail all type of violence. Refrain from using drugs and become a productive citizen. These measures will lead to better police-community relations but remember, there are millions of encounters between police and citizens every year and as such, some of those encounters will result in violent confrontations. That is the nature of our profession and sadly, it will never change.
    Stay safe and good luck to all.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yesterday we saw an idiotic police officer get convicted of a horrible crime. The damage done by his actions will haunt our profession for years.
    Now that the verdict is out, we hear every political opportunist talk about “police reform”. What exactly does that mean? No more neck chokeholds, body cameras, sensitivity training, no-knock warrants, no vehicle chase, etc? All those measures are already in place at MDPD.
    I do not know about you but as long as I have worked here, I have not heard a fellow officer say “let’s go out and hurt African Americans”. If someone did say that to me, we would have issues.
    Institutional racism? I don’t think so. Our MDPD is a very progressive organization. Officers of every race and ethnicity have gone up the chain. We live in a community where minorities own businesses, get elected to office and enjoy good and productive lives.
    As long as police officers encounter criminal and law abiding citizens, there will be friction and that may lead to violence. Though the emphasis is on “police reform”, there are other glaring avenues that need to be explored. For example, the moment you are stopped by an officer, comply with the lawful demands. If you wish to file a complaint you are entitled to do so. Do not resort to violence or you will be another statistic. Instead of telling your children that all police are racist help dispel that lie. Police are there to help and the results of your actions will bring them to your door.
    Last but not least, curtail all type of violence. Refrain from using drugs and become a productive citizen. These measures will lead to better police-community relations but remember, there are millions of encounters between police and citizens every year and as such, some of those encounters will result in violent confrontations. That is the nature of our profession and sadly, it will never change.
    Brilliant, you are tho thmart. Thanks, Captain Obvious. While we’re at it, let’s make sure every kid gets to go to safe school where they can get a quality education, and let’s also make sure that the kid’s parents can live in a neighborhood fee of dopers and prostitutes on the corner. Duh.

Unregistered

OP gives good advice but...

There is a saying that goes, "Good advice is always wasted because those who listen don't need it and those who need it don't listen."

Unregistered

great post

Unregistered
    There is a saying that goes, "Good advice is always wasted because those who listen don't need it and those who need it don't listen."
    - Albert Einstein