Swat

Thread: Swat

Unregistered

Swat

I will be attending the EOT soon and was only planning to apply to your agency. I have heard that your SWAT team is one the best in Florida.
    I am currently a senior operator on a busy midwestern team. I recently saw that you require three years at your agency before you can apply to SWAT. Does this apply for all even if they have 12 years experience and 8 years as an operator?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I will be attending the EOT soon and was only planning to apply to your agency. I have heard that your SWAT team is one the best in Florida.
    I am currently a senior operator on a busy midwestern team. I recently saw that you require three years at your agency before you can apply to SWAT. Does this apply for all even if they have 12 years experience and 8 years as an operator?

Wanting to get the hell out of Missouri, eh?

Unregistered

Disregard the jerk' s thar responded 1st....

It looks like you bring plenty experience to the game. Not sure if they are flexible with the years of service, but if you ever make it and you find yourself doing swat tryouts stick to what they tell you that needs to be done. Try nothing fancy or they deemed you untrainable.

They hate to be outdone.

Suggestions are greatfully welcomed after you are part of the team.

Unregistered
    Yes its 3 years on Patrol. Not fair to do it any other way.

Unregistered
    I came on from out of state also. Had just under 10 years before I made the change. You’ll have plenty to learn before even thinking of going to SWAT.

Unfortunately, from my experience, many of the supervisors here will not respect your experience. They’ve drank the cool aid that this agency is heads and shoulders above anywhere you’re coming from. Some, not all, will feel threatened by you. I’d learn the job here, you won’t believe the different signal codes they have here and the 20 or so computer programs you’ll need to master ,just to work patrol. It’s a good place to work, just don’t show up thinking you already know everything and thinking you’ll be in a special unit in a year. Oh, and good luck finding a decent home here. Real Estate is insane. $300k used to buy a nice house here, not anymore. Good luck.

Unregistered
    Thanks for the responses. I will definitely apply as soon as I complete the EOT. We plan to buy in Manatee County where it is a little cheaper. How short are you and how long does the hiring process take?

Unregistered
    Back to back academy’s haven’t been keeping up with attrition. We never been fully staffed for at least the past 5 years. Hopefully you won’t need the Academy and just attend module. If you haven’t even applied yet, I doubt you would start this year. I personally didn’t start for almost a year after I took the agility test and that was awhile after I initially applied. I don’t think you said where you currently work but if your command staff is approachable, ask if they know anyone here. Who knows, maybe your Chief went to the FBI National Academy with some Colonel or Major here. If the right phone calls get made, the stars may align for you a little quicker.

Unregistered
    Back to back academy’s haven’t been keeping up with attrition. We never been fully staffed for at least the past 5 years. Hopefully you won’t need the Academy and just attend module. If you haven’t even applied yet, I doubt you would start this year. I personally didn’t start for almost a year after I took the agility test and that was awhile after I initially applied. I don’t think you said where you currently work but if your command staff is approachable, ask if they know anyone here. Who knows, maybe your Chief went to the FBI National Academy with some Colonel or Major here. If the right phone calls get made, the stars may align for you a little quicker.
    Thank Gee, Docobo the career destroyer, chinless Jim, with their “We only hire the perfect human specimen” mentality. Plus a few district majors that reduced manpower so much so they can get their bonuses at the cost of burnout and our mental health. Running a district with minimal staff while “reducing crime” AKA number fudging gets upper command bonuses. Most those majors are gone.