Is it worth it to go to FHP?

Unregistered

Is it worth it to go to FHP?

I’m a law enforcement officer in NJ. Tired of the complete bs here and wish to move south to buy a house worth its value and just live more comfortably than just leaving off check to check working 30 years of service for our full pension benefits thanks to the genius Christie

I heard Florida including FHP will take NJ PTC so I wouldn’t have to do another 6 months of academy. Let me know

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’m a law enforcement officer in NJ. Tired of the complete bs here and wish to move south to buy a house worth its value and just live more comfortably than just leaving off check to check working 30 years of service for our full pension benefits thanks to the genius Christie

I heard Florida including FHP will take NJ PTC so I wouldn’t have to do another 6 months of academy. Let me know
    No its not worth it.

Unregistered
    No its not worth it.
    Interesting. I am curious. Why do you think it isn't worth it?

Unregistered
    Interesting. I am curious. Why do you think it isn't worth it?
    ttt

Look at it like this.
    You have already spent time working the road and dealing with the unwashed masses. You want a better job. Why would you be looking for the same job, just a couple thousand miles south?
    There are a load of state jobs available that we call "law enforcement light". You get all the benefits and almost no daily BS. No shifts, uniforms, dealing with moronic public, working holidays, just to name a few. Examples are:
    Fire Marshal, FDLE, ABT, Medicare Fraud. Back in 2011 our brilliant republican governor screwed state employees by fixing our retirement system too. Problem is ours didn't need fixing. So now you don't get a COLA for service after 2011, you have to work more years to be vested or retire and every year the legislature tries to push new employees into the investment plan instead of the defined benefit pension plan, plus now we have to contribute 3% to our own pension.

Unregistered
    Or you could go sit in a school lunchroom with a Glock playing with your i-phone for the same money. You get weekends, holidays and summers off. That's what all the New Yorkers and Chicago guys that "retired" after that magic ten year mark are doing. It works for all of them. Good luck. If you live in NJ, and you get enough for your house and you can spend less for a house down here, you can maybe do it. Housing market is hot now, but not in some areas. And you won't pay for heating oil. No state taxes or city income tax either. Just do all the factors and numbers on a legal pad, be realistic. What are your expectations? Your future expenses? What can you get for your house? etc. Hey! Good luck to you!

Unregistered
    FHP stinks to work for.

Unregistered
    FHP stinks to work for.
    Not a bad place as an agency, inflation is eating us right now though. 16 hrs a week of SOAR gets old, you are always tired and honestly don't feel like doing much when you are x8. Only chance to survive unless you promote and sell your soul to the devil.

Unregistered
    Not a bad place as an agency, inflation is eating us right now though. 16 hrs a week of SOAR gets old, you are always tired and honestly don't feel like doing much when you are x8. Only chance to survive unless you promote and sell your soul to the devil.
    Or, you could promote and make the changes that you want to see…
    But, it’s probably just easier for you to be a scab and sit there and ***** and not be willing to do anything about it.

Unregistered
    Or, you could promote and make the changes that you want to see…
    But, it’s probably just easier for you to be a scab and sit there and ***** and not be willing to do anything about it.
    Two can play that game. Why don't you do it? And if you did, then you are failing at it. Who wants to promote in this place to stress yourself out when they don't give you two an hr.

Unregistered
    Two can play that game. Why don't you do it? And if you did, then you are failing at it. Who wants to promote in this place to stress yourself out when they don't give you two an hr.
    I second that and get paid $20-25k less than any other department. Yeah okay, where do i sign up for that PHUCKED UP CAREER? No thanks, i’ll pass and do absolutely nothing and work 208 to make up the difference while doing nothing. Work smarther not harder.