Recruiting Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Recruiting Question

Hey guys, out of state applicant here, no previous Law Enforcement or Military experience. I do however have a substantial amount of time in a highly responsible career position. I have a clean background as well.
    Am I wasting my time flying in to go through this process? From my observation with their high level of recruitment advertising, in contrast to the vibe I received from the recruiter and investigator, they seem to have a puppy mill recruiting approach, processing a large amount of applicants, while only selecting their mold.
    I would appreciate any input so I know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks.

Unregistered
    Our agency has a lot of applicants so naturally, there is a process. I am sorry you got that feeling from your recruiter, but I am not sure if that is their fault or if reflects the high level of expectations you seem to exhibit in your pursuit of a career. My gut feeling is that if you are disappointed thus far, you will be disappointed in your selection of any law enforcement agency and law enforcement as a career. I suggest you rethink your options. The career is not as depicted by many and/or the television shows you may watch. Additionally, the job is not for anyone. It is highly demanding and will expose you to an environment and lifestyle that many are not accustom to, or can handle.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Our agency has a lot of applicants so naturally, there is a process. I am sorry you got that feeling from your recruiter, but I am not sure if that is their fault or if reflects the high level of expectations you seem to exhibit in your pursuit of a career. My gut feeling is that if you are disappointed thus far, you will be disappointed in your selection of any law enforcement agency and law enforcement as a career. I suggest you rethink your options. The career is not as depicted by many and/or the television shows you may watch. Additionally, the job is not for anyone. It is highly demanding and will expose you to an environment and lifestyle that many are not accustom to, or can handle.
    Move on nothing to see here.

OUR retirement that once was 25 is now 30 and the politicians are now trying to disappear our pension and make it into a 401K.

I have been here 25 years. I am currently in the drop, and if 25 years ago the pension was not offered I would had stayed in the private sector.

It's all about the pension and drop. Without it this job would suck.

Unregistered
    I disagree! The career of a law-enforcement officer always has been a job of public service. It is not a white-collar corporate work path intended to make an employee wealthy. Public service, especially law enforcement, Takes a certain type of person willing to sacrifice a lot for the good of others, and society. If anyone gets into it with a false perception, they should acknowledge such and move on to a different type job if they are seeking great wealth.

Unregistered
    Hey guys, out of state applicant here, no previous Law Enforcement or Military experience. I do however have a substantial amount of time in a highly responsible career position. I have a clean background as well.
    Am I wasting my time flying in to go through this process? From my observation with their high level of recruitment advertising, in contrast to the vibe I received from the recruiter and investigator, they seem to have a puppy mill recruiting approach, processing a large amount of applicants, while only selecting their mold.
    I would appreciate any input so I know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks.
    I don’t know what the “puppy mill recruiting” method is. If you’re serious about this as a career, I would schedule some “ride alongs” on several shifts in D1 and maybe D5. In my opinion, this is one of the better areas of the country to live as well as work.

Working in law enforcement is not a decision to be taken lightly. I sense that you have no clue what you would be getting yourself in to. My advice is invest some time on the front end to enlighten yourself about law enforcement and this agency specifically. You’re not doing yourself or HCSO any good by possibly getting hired, investing significant time and money in you, only to find you joined the masses who leave the job when they find out it’s not for them. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Unregistered
    I disagree! The career of a law-enforcement officer always has been a job of public service. It is not a white-collar corporate work path intended to make an employee wealthy. Public service, especially law enforcement, Takes a certain type of person willing to sacrifice a lot for the good of others, and society. If anyone gets into it with a false perception, they should acknowledge such and move on to a different type job if they are seeking great wealth.
    Special human or not....the incentive of putting your life on the line will be taken away sooner than later.

Unregistered
    First off, nobody in this line of work talks or thinks like that. That super hero comic book mentality of this job is what gets cops in trouble. That whole “I would do this job for free” mentality is reserved for people that enjoy wielding this power for fun or people that need this job as their identity. Bullies and nerds that have been picked on. How ironic this job would attract both? Easy. Both damaged type people and the ones that make us real down to earth cops look bad. The truck is to avoid hiring those people, but they put on damn good shows at oral boards. Humble people are needed instead. Older mature parents ex business owners and so on... life skills.

The only two occasions comic book BS verbiage like that is used about being a cop is 1, hiring pamphlets or 2, what we call holster sniffers or cop groupies. Wannabe cops, security guards and so on. The ones that get us all in trouble.

Real good humble cops are not cops. The do the job of being a cop. They are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, and so on... They have solid identities and enough self respect to know that a dangerous job like this SHOULD be outweighed by pay and benefits. That’s the logical truth. People that treat this job as a job and do it well, won’t take things personal and act on emotion.

Your post was stupid, pointless, and does not belong on this site. You speak like a highschooler that is dying to be a cop so you can feel powerful. There is no power with this job. Quite the opposite. Arrests mostly fix nothing unless it’s a true bad guy. Which is rare. Most arrests are for numbers, to put on a show, or to reduce liability. Most people refuse to help themselves and mostly ask for what they get. Only to want instant fixes from us.

You know nothing. Shut my cokc holster and stay off this site.

Dont waste your time applying here. It’s truly not worth it. It’s not worth what is done with your emotions and mind, only to be cast away at any time just to reduce agency liability. The constant paranoia for 30 years? Screw that. Move it along.

Unregistered
    Excellent level headed, and realistic previous post.
    Regarding the pension, is it 30 years regardless of age? Or can you retire earlier by a certain age without taking a hit?

Unregistered
    First off, nobody in this line of work talks or thinks like that. That super hero comic book mentality of this job is what gets cops in trouble. That whole “I would do this job for free” mentality is reserved for people that enjoy wielding this power for fun or people that need this job as their identity. Bullies and nerds that have been picked on. How ironic this job would attract both? Easy. Both damaged type people and the ones that make us real down to earth cops look bad. The truck is to avoid hiring those people, but they put on damn good shows at oral boards. Humble people are needed instead. Older mature parents ex business owners and so on... life skills.

The only two occasions comic book BS verbiage like that is used about being a cop is 1, hiring pamphlets or 2, what we call holster sniffers or cop groupies. Wannabe cops, security guards and so on. The ones that get us all in trouble.

Real good humble cops are not cops. The do the job of being a cop. They are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, and so on... They have solid identities and enough self respect to know that a dangerous job like this SHOULD be outweighed by pay and benefits. That’s the logical truth. People that treat this job as a job and do it well, won’t take things personal and act on emotion.

Your post was stupid, pointless, and does not belong on this site. You speak like a highschooler that is dying to be a cop so you can feel powerful. There is no power with this job. Quite the opposite. Arrests mostly fix nothing unless it’s a true bad guy. Which is rare. Most arrests are for numbers, to put on a show, or to reduce liability. Most people refuse to help themselves and mostly ask for what they get. Only to want instant fixes from us.

Dont waste your time applying here. It’s truly not worth it. It’s not worth what is done with your emotions and mind, only to be cast away at any time just to reduce agency liability. The constant paranoia for 30 years? Screw that. Move it along.

"Constant paranoia for 30 years"? You have no business being a cop anywhere.

Unregistered

Love this 1000x over. I couldn’t agree more. I tell civilian friends one of the most stressful things about this job is working with cops. The 24/7 cops. The cops that “need to get an arrest” before the end of shift. The cops that need this job to feel like they have power. The cops that you meet in a social setting and within the first 5 minutes, let you know they’re a cop. I’ll tell ya, on top of dealing with the residual effects of the job, working with these self identified “type A personality guys” makes me want to be school janitor.

From my experience, these are the same guys that want to get “into some shit and thump someone” but when the shit actually hits the fan they don’t know what to do because they thought with just their mere uniformed presence, bad guy will comply!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast