Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Love this 1000x over. I couldn’t agree more. I tell civilian friends one of the most stressful things about this job is working with cops. The 24/7 cops. The cops that “need to get an arrest” before the end of shift. The cops that need this job to feel like they have power. The cops that you meet in a social setting and within the first 5 minutes, let you know they’re a cop. I’ll tell ya, on top of dealing with the residual effects of the job, working with these self identified “type A personality guys” makes me want to be school janitor.

From my experience, these are the same guys that want to get “into some shit and thump someone” but when the shit actually hits the fan they don’t know what to do because they thought with just their mere uniformed presence, bad guy will comply!
That’s it. You said it better than I did. Exactly. Those are the same cops that make us look bad. Worse part, most of those types become our supervisors. Chasing rank and pulling us into their games. They do things based on numbers, competition, stats, winning, and so on.. instead of basing what they do on the law and constitution. That is the worse part of this job. Our citizens know this, but they don’t know our jobs in detail enough to put their fingers on what the problems are.

How many times have anyone of you been on a call, calmed everyone down, gave advice, helped everyone, and sent them on their way. After doing the right thing, you still leave the scene worried for days about getting in trouble for not arresting or writing a two hour long story about what happened because off all the what if’s. All the possible things that could happen. Worried about the future like some paranoid schizophrenic.