SPPD or PCSO

Thread: SPPD or PCSO

Unregistered

SPPD or PCSO

Hoping you guys can answer a question honestly. I know people get salty but I need some honesty. I’m a central FL LEO planning on moving home to Clearwater. I’m torn between PCSO and SPPD. I need some Pro’s and Con’s. I know the pension is better at SPPD and I’m sure a few other things.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Be safe

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hoping you guys can answer a question honestly. I know people get salty but I need some honesty. I’m a central FL LEO planning on moving home to Clearwater. I’m torn between PCSO and SPPD. I need some Pro’s and Con’s. I know the pension is better at SPPD and I’m sure a few other things.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Be safe
    PCSO

Pros - Better morale in the organization. Supportive staff. You serve a more supportive jurisdiction for the most part. Less political correctness. Its a bigger agency and a S.O. so the list of career specialties is much longer. Patrol is not as slammed as SPPD. It takes longer to retire here, but the stress may be lower overall.

Cons - Longer to retirement. Shorter DROP. Pay is slightly less I think but the difference wont be life changing on either side. Because there's a lower call volume it will take longer to get the same amount of street experience as SPPD.

SPPD

Pros - Pay is good now. Benefits, pension, DROP (7 years), are all good pretty good. Good amount of off duty... especially once COVID loosens up and we get the huge downtown events back. Extra money is never an issue if that's something you want from time to time. You can get a lot of experience on the street because it's busy. You can transfer pretty quick if you make the right people happy because the dept is pretty young (Likely the same at the SO).

Cons - The city is very liberal and so is a large portion of the population you serve. This means you are more likely to be thrown under the bus for something. You are more likely to have to do something out of political correctness instead of what makes the most sense. Specialized units are always coming and going away because of this reason. The unit gets too proactive, pisses a powerful liberal off, and gets shut down. Patrol is always very busy and short staffed. There are often spurts of shootings and violence that do not make the news. Most of the violent headlines from Pinellas are out of St Pete.

Unregistered
    Sadly, Tampa PD is the answer you seek. They have a twenty year pension and you can buy your time from your other agency.