Why should I work at Florida Highway Patrol?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Why should I work at Florida Highway Patrol?

Hello,

Why should I work at Florida Highway Patrol vs a City or County Agency? I also have a few questions about FHP!

1. I seen on the website you have specialty position incentives, How long until I can join them? Also what is "Technology" Specialty Position? Also what is the hazardous Material Squad all about?

2. Does FHP offer ride alongs if so, how easy is it to get a Ride along?

3. What are some of the better areas for Newer Troopers? Miami, Tampa, Orlando? Like what is a good troop or troops to apply for?

4. How is the agency issued equipment? I have seen some of the counties and cities equipment they have issued to them.

5. I seen you are down some troopers, How bad is it? Like are you always going to be patrolling by yourself with your nearest backup a county away(Unless county or city unit is closer)?

All of you who are going to comment about the salary, I am fully aware of the salary. I don't really care, I am Not interested in this career to get rich or do it just for the money.

Unregistered
    You should work for FHP because they are desperate and need bodies. You will receive some good training that you can use when you leave to go to another agency - which is something you should absolutely do. Apply to FHP, get certified, work the road for a year and bounce. Keep your nose clean during that year. Do the bare minimum to get by without causing any issues. You don't want any complaints or reprimands, it won't look good to another agency when you apply.

In Florida, most Sheriff's Offices don't work crashes. They will have a deputy sit on the side of the road waiting, sometimes for an hour or 2, for a Trooper to show up and work a crash that could've been handled in 20-30 minutes. As such, because FHP is so shorthanded, you will likely spend your entire shift running from crash to crash to crash, sometimes 2 or 3 counties away. If that's what you want to do, have at it, hoss. If not, use them to get certified, get some decent training and then head to an agency where you're appreciated, paid what you're worth and allowed to do real policework. Good luck and stay safe.

-City Cop

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You should work for FHP because they are desperate and need bodies. You will receive some good training that you can use when you leave to go to another agency - which is something you should absolutely do. Apply to FHP, get certified, work the road for a year and bounce. Keep your nose clean during that year. Do the bare minimum to get by without causing any issues. You don't want any complaints or reprimands, it won't look good to another agency when you apply.

In Florida, most Sheriff's Offices don't work crashes. They will have a deputy sit on the side of the road waiting, sometimes for an hour or 2, for a Trooper to show up and work a crash that could've been handled in 20-30 minutes. As such, because FHP is so shorthanded, you will likely spend your entire shift running from crash to crash to crash, sometimes 2 or 3 counties away. If that's what you want to do, have at it, hoss. If not, use them to get certified, get some decent training and then head to an agency where you're appreciated, paid what you're worth and allowed to do real policework. Good luck and stay safe.

-City Cop

spot on, couldn’t have said it any better.

- current trooper with FHP (im still here because I can’t get out of my comfort zone and I’m somewhat lazy)

Unregistered
    spot on, couldn’t have said it any better.

- current trooper with FHP (im still here because I can’t get out of my comfort zone and I’m somewhat lazy)

How’s the life for single troopers ? Are they making bank ?

Unregistered
    hmmmmm define “single”

Unregistered
    hmmmmm define “single”
    Not married, no kids.

Unregistered
    Not married, no kids.
    then rich, able to work some off duty details, get you a nice hellcat of your choosing.. nice things.. even a boat if you wanted

Unregistered
    then rich, able to work some off duty details, get you a nice hellcat of your choosing.. nice things.. even a boat if you wanted
    Are you being sarcastic lol ?

Unregistered
    More like a dinghy.

Unregistered
    Are you being sarcastic lol ?
    No, no sarcasm, I have a 2019 Hellcat, almost paid off.. also a 2019 R1 (figured if I can get a bike you could do a boat instead).. I’m living a great bachelors life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast