Looking for Apartment Complex

Unregistered

Looking for Apartment Complex

Good Morning,

It looks like I may be offered a position and accepting with the Department shortly. I’m coming from NY (been on the job almost 17 years) and I was hoping some of you could point me to a complex that’s safe and priced accordingly so I’m not rent poor. Kills me renting at first, but I don’t want to buy until I’m more familiar with the area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Unregistered

You can’t be serious?

I also moved from NY, AFTER I finished my 20, I came down with my pension. You said you don’t want to be rent poor but you’re willing to forfeit what I assume would be at least a $40-$50K pension to start down here at $20 an hour? Do yourself a favor and come down AFTER you finish your 20 in NY. The sheriffs Office will still be here in 3 years.

Unregistered

Do you know how bad it is on NY???

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I also moved from NY, AFTER I finished my 20, I came down with my pension. You said you don’t want to be rent poor but you’re willing to forfeit what I assume would be at least a $40-$50K pension to start down here at $20 an hour? Do yourself a favor and come down AFTER you finish your 20 in NY. The sheriffs Office will still be here in 3 years.
    Bro the 3 years isn’t worth the 20 grand a year. I’m walking with 30+ grand. Let me rephrase my “Rent Poor” I hate paying rent vs building equity. I’m not looking to buy my first year down in an unknown area. Have you worked in NY since Bail Reform? All the Defunding going on? And other BS here? Mutts breaking into a home attempting to rape a woman, husband comes home he runs before penetration & you get him based on a good BOLO and knowing said Mutt, this Mutt gets an appearance ticket, you have to call the victim and tell her he’s back on the street and his attorney will have all her information and be able to tour her home as a part of his defense. Not worth 20 grand. 20 from one NY’er to another help me out and give me some spots or keep it moving

Unregistered
    Bro the 3 years isn’t worth the 20 grand a year. I’m walking with 30+ grand. Let me rephrase my “Rent Poor” I hate paying rent vs building equity. I’m not looking to buy my first year down in an unknown area. Have you worked in NY since Bail Reform? All the Defunding going on? And other BS here? Mutts breaking into a home attempting to rape a woman, husband comes home he runs before penetration & you get him based on a good BOLO and knowing said Mutt, this Mutt gets an appearance ticket, you have to call the victim and tell her he’s back on the street and his attorney will have all her information and be able to tour her home as a part of his defense. Not worth 20 grand. 20 from one NY’er to another help me out and give me some spots or keep it moving

I hear ya. If you are a single person who's just looking for a place to sleep and shower, and not throw a lot into rent, have you thought about a house share, or even renting a guest house? There are some great opportunities in South Tampa. I did that when single, saved a ton of money, and was close to fishing, restaurants, and other great places to hang out and meet new people on my off-time.

Unregistered
    I hear ya. If you are a single person who's just looking for a place to sleep and shower, and not throw a lot into rent, have you thought about a house share, or even renting a guest house? There are some great opportunities in South Tampa. I did that when single, saved a ton of money, and was close to fishing, restaurants, and other great places to hang out and meet new people on my off-time.
    That’s a great idea & possibility to explore. Never thought of that.

Unregistered
    I was just using common sense. No, I retired before bail reform but have relatives still on the job. Yes it sucks....I do have to ask, where are you working in NY State where your pension would only be $20K a year? I retired over 10 years ago and my base pay then in Upstate New York was $70K.

Anyway, I like the idea of room sharing. I know plenty of deputies and Hillsborough Fire Rescue that rent rooms from each other. Are you in the March Academy or coming on as a pre-cert?

Unregistered
    I never called down and found out the exact amount. I still have 7 years before I can collect it. There is now way I’d be near 70- I’m thinking 20-30 with 17 in. My boy retired with 22 and only at 34,000. Saratoga County is where I’m at.

If all works out I’ll be a Pre Cert coming in.

Bail Reform and now they are putting Civilian Review board that will review use of force incidents and recommend punishment. No Admin or anyone with Police Experience will be reviewing the incident. The Jobs Dead here. I was down in Hillsborough and there were 5 of us from NY down there for the Poly. It’s ridiculous

Unregistered
    I never called down and found out the exact amount. I still have 7 years before I can collect it. There is now way I’d be near 70- I’m thinking 20-30 with 17 in. My boy retired with 22 and only at 34,000. Saratoga County is where I’m at.

If all works out I’ll be a Pre Cert coming in.

Bail Reform and now they are putting Civilian Review board that will review use of force incidents and recommend punishment. No Admin or anyone with Police Experience will be reviewing the incident. The Jobs Dead here. I was down in Hillsborough and there were 5 of us from NY down there for the Poly. It’s ridiculous
    Great question. There are a lot of really nice complexes. I like the south Tampa Area. A lot of condo owners rent their places out on Harbor and Davis Islands. Hyde Park area is in the same vicinity. Nice running along Bayshore Blvd and good people watching. It’s expensive, but in my opinion, it’s the place to be if you’re active and single. Also, it’s kind of central in the county. This is a BIG county geographically. Depending on what district you get put in, you might have a hike to work but you will get a take home car after you complete the first phases of FTO. Good luck!

Unregistered

Thank you

Great question. There are a lot of really nice complexes. I like the south Tampa Area. A lot of condo owners rent their places out on Harbor and Davis Islands. Hyde Park area is in the same vicinity. Nice running along Bayshore Blvd and good people watching. It’s expensive, but in my opinion, it’s the place to be if you’re active and single. Also, it’s kind of central in the county. This is a BIG county geographically. Depending on what district you get put in, you might have a hike to work but you will get a take home car after you complete the first phases of FTO. Good luck!
    I truly appreciate the information my friend. I’ll see all of you in March. I’m pretty active and lobe the idea of running routes and bike routes. Thank you so much.