The New New Temporary Appointed Chief Luis Alvarez Liar?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

The New New Temporary Appointed Chief Luis Alvarez Liar?

A Background check is necessary!

Gunfight at the Canine Corral
    WYATT OLSON | DECEMBER 11, 2003 | 4:00AM

NEW TIMES FR

Talk about stepping into deep doggy doo.

Authorities are still trying to piece together exactly what happened at an alleged local
    drug hangout in November 2002. What began as a late-night drug bust, with a scrum
    of Fort Lauderdale police officers poised to follow a battering ram into a marijuana
    den, suddenly became a frenzy of machine gun and pistol fire, ending with one very
    dead dog and one officer shot through the keister. Thing is, the bad guys never got off
    a shot.

Adding to the cops' embarrassment, members of the Citizen Review Board have now
    found that follow-up reporting by the officers involved -- one of whom cavalierly
    dismissed the hailstorm of lead and the wounding of one of his officers as "business
    as usual" -- seemed less concerned with getting to the bottom of a cop's punctured
    posterior than about protecting the police supervisors' own asses. Up to a week after
    the event, the shooting of the cop was still being listed as a "dog bite," and strict
    procedures about immediately reporting any police gunshot injury had apparently
    been violated.

After a yearlong investigation, the review board has recommended two-week
    suspensions for a pair of Fort Lauderdale's finest in connection with the raid. It's now
    up to Acting City Manager Alan Silva to mete out the actual punishment to the errant
    cops.

Based on testimony from a stack of depositions taken for the case, here's how the key
    cops say the "Shootout at Canine Corral" (which resulted in one arrest) went down
    two days before Thanksgiving 2002:

Members of the Raiders, the elite drug-enforcement division of the Fort Lauderdale
    Police Department, descended around 11 that night on 1649 Lauderdale Manor Dr., a
    charmless shell of a house whose front door leads to a spectacular view of
    northbound I-95. An informant had told the Raiders that a marijuana dealer lived
    there. So did an aggressive pit bull, the informant added.

But the Raiders came prepared. Equipped with a snare pole, Sgt. Tom Reed, the
    department's K-9 unit trainer, who had assisted the Raiders with dangerous dogs in
    the past, warily approached the yard gate and kicked it a few times to get the dog's
    attention. No dog. He and two armed officers scurried to the corner of the house,
    assuming that the dog was in the backyard.

At the same time, the entry unit, dressed in full battle gear, scuttled over the fence to
    the front door with a pneumatic battering ram at the ready. As with every bust-in raid,
    the cops were edgy and pumped. But this time, they had the added element of a mad
    dog to worry about. According to the officers' reports, they were keeping eyes peeled
    on the right side of the house, because that's where they expected the animal to
    appear.

A half dozen Raiders assembled by the front door in stack formation, a tight, singlefile column that is supposed to rush in after others smash the door down. The stack
    veered a bit to the left, partially to avoid a sucker punch from the dog. Fourth in line
    was Detective Luis Alvarez, who held a long flashlight in one hand, his Smith &
    Wesson handgun in the other. In front of him was Detective Pat Hart, armed with an
    MP5, a short submachine gun favored by SWAT teams. Hart held the MP5 to his
    shoulder in firing stance, partially resting its stock on Detective Derek Joseph in front
    of him.

Joseph heard a dog growl. The whir of an air conditioner hanging on the wall near
    them cloaked the sound, however, and Joseph observed that it sounded as if the dog
    was inside. The cops tensed, expecting an angry canine to lunge at them when the
    door caved in. Seconds later, though, a snarling, teeth-gnashing pit bull bounded from
    amid some garbage cans in the yard of the target house and "latched on to Pat's
    posterior," one detective recalls. Hart yelled, the dog let go, and then it took a chomp
    on Alvarez's left knee. Alvarez shook the pit bull off his leg. The formation broke
    apart in the chaos as several curious neighbors rushed to the outside of the fence to
    witness the scene.

According to their carefully crafted accounts, Hart then turned to his right, Alvarez to
    his left, so that the two men were almost facing each other.
    "So that's when I drew the weapon down, and I shot three times immediately," Alvarez
    says. The muzzle blast flickered in the dusk, and the onlookers scattered. One of those
    bullets, it turned out, ripped through Hart's upper right buttock and exited the lower
    left one.

"That's when I looked at Pat's face, and it looked like he was in pain," Alvarez says.
    Hart was convinced he'd gotten the mother of all dog bites. "The way to explain it to
    people is like I got hit by a freight train," Hart says. "It felt like... it felt like a dog
    coming up, biting me on my butt. It felt like it was right in the middle of my butt. I felt
    more of a clamping motion, and then I felt an immediate pain, a different type of
    pain."

Hart fell down flat to the ground about seven feet to the right of the line, then got up
    in a kneeling position, pointing the submachine gun at the dog. Alvarez had also
    backed off and knelt. "I wasn't hearing anything 'cause it was like my auditory system
    shut down," Hart recalls. "It seemed like everything for me was moving in a slow
    motion. All of a sudden, it seemed like the time kicked back in. I see the dog. It's
    illuminated. I hear somebody from my right say, 'Hit him again, Luis.' At that point, I
    thought the dog was coming near me, and I fired four rounds at the dog."
    Another sergeant also began shooting, and a fusillade of lead whizzed through the air.
    The barrage of fire physically pushed the dog to the fence, where it collapsed.
    Thirteen shots had been fired at the beast, but for all of that, no one managed to
    deliver a fatal blow.

As the dogged team smashed through the door moments later, Reed pinned down the
    bleeding pit bull with his snare pole. "Somebody was yelling, 'Stay with the dog! Stay
    with the dog!'" Reed says, adding, "It was still a threat.
    It was still, the dog was still alive when I was pinning it to the ground."
    The dog died about five minutes later. Lying near the trash cans was a litter of
    suckling pups that the mother had apparently been reluctant to desert.
    Hart, in pain, was also left lying in the yard. Adding to his distress, someone
    accidentally dropped the battering ram onto his helmeted head. Inside, Alvarez said
    he thought he'd shot Hart, but another detective told him he didn't.
    No one called an ambulance for Hart. Instead, another detective drove him to
    Broward General Hospital. Hart predicted his worst pain was yet to come. "Man, this
    is freakin' embarrassing. I got ****ing bit in the ass by a dog," he said to the detective.
    "How am I supposed to explain this to people? Cops don't ever let shit like this go and
    it's... oh man, I'm gonna hear this till the end of my career."
    Hart's fellow officers gathered later in the ER treatment room to cheer him up. Hart
    lay there, wounded rump in the air, and the scene devolved into a raucous "comedy
    session," Hart says, with Hart's colleagues commenting good-naturedly on the heft of
    his posterior.
    "At one point, I had to tell the detectives to quiet down because they were getting a
    little loud and laughing and cutting up," recalls Detective Sgt. Frank Sebregandio, who
    had been a team leader in charge of the raid. "There was some joking around about
    how the dog got the meatiest part of one of the entry team members and that type of
    thing. Some people made fun of Pat for having a big butt, but other than that, it was
    very lighthearted."
    Despite all the levity, X-rays had revealed metal fragments inside Hart's wounds, an
    obvious indicator that he'd either been shot directly or received fragments from the
    Alvarez salvo. Sebregandio, however, wasn't terribly concerned about investigating
    the wounds. "It basically was business as usual, and there wasn't any need for me to
    ask the doctor what's the next step or is he gonna live or those types of things,"
    Sebregandio says, adding that there was "nothing that would indicate that they were
    gonna wheel him into surgery or that they were gonna have to amputate at the waist
    or anything as severe."

Hart got home late that night, with one small canine indignity remaining. As he
    showed his wife the wounds, they heard their own two dogs "going nuts" in the
    bedroom. "They were playing tug of war with the shirt from the hospital, the one that
    I was wearing that night," Hart says. His wife buried it in the hamper, but the next day,
    the dogs had dug it out, and she "caught 'em wrestling with the shirt again."
    About a week later, after doctors had concluded that Hart had taken a bullet directly
    in the butt, he had a talk with Alvarez. "I told him... that there was good news and
    there was bad news. I go, 'The good news is the dog didn't have rabies, and the bad
    news is that you shot me.'"

Unregistered

Luis Alvarez shoots a police officer fabricates a lie and now he is the Chief of FLPD

Thank you for exposing the coverup Mr Carter

Chief, Office of Mission Assurance
    Robert J. Carter
    Official Portrait Chief OMA Robert Carter
    Robert J. Carter is the Associate Administrator for the Office of Mission Assurance at the U.S. General Services Administration effective December 28, 2014.

In this role, he is responsible for organizing national resources into a centralized office which provides direct support to first responders, emergency workers and recovery teams during presidentially-declared disasters and continuity of government events across the United States. Mr. Carter is the designated senior official responsible for the implementation of national policies, practices and directives for continuity, disaster response, emergency management, resilience and preparedness, intelligence and security disciplines - including physical, personnel and cyber.

Mr. Carter has served in several key roles at GSA, most recently as Chief of Staff for the Office of Emergency Response and Recovery. During this time, he provided agency-wide operational coordination for response to Superstorm Sandy, the State of the Union Address, the Boston Marathon bombings and the 2013 Presidential Inauguration.

Prior to his arrival at GSA, Mr. Carter was Chief of Training for the law enforcement and force protection division within the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. In addition, his career also includes 23 years with the Fort Lauderdale Police Department where he served as the Executive Officer and retired as Assistant Chief of Police.

Mr. Carter earned a master’s degree from American University in Washington, DC.

Unregistered
    You realize most of the pd employees weren't here in 2002 and there was an investigation and suspensions were handed out, right? It's over 18 years ago. "POLICE CHIEF VETOES LONG SUSPENSIONS - Sun Sentinel" https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2003-11-23-0311220404-story,amp.html

Unregistered

Musical Chief's, who is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You realize most of the pd employees weren't here in 2002 and there was an investigation and suspensions were handed out, right? It's over 18 years ago. "POLICE CHIEF VETOES LONG SUSPENSIONS - Sun Sentinel" https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...story,amp.html
    Maybe you should read this. There is no expiration date associated with this Code of Ethics. All should have been fired.

A. POLICY
    1. Law enforcement effectiveness requires that actions of public employees be
    impartial; that government decisions and policies be made in the proper channels
    of government structure; that public office not be used for personal gain; and that
    the public have confidence in the integrity of its police department. The purpose
    of this Code is to establish ethical guidelines of conduct for all department
    employees by setting forth those acts or actions that are compatible with the best
    interest of the City of Fort Lauderdale and its citizens.

2. The adoption of this Code of Ethics will, with cooperation, improve the attitude
    and practices of our employees; minimize injustice or the perception of injustice;
    and heighten public confidence in our local government, institutions, positions,
    and people. All members of the Fort Lauderdale Police Department are required
    to abide by this Code of Ethics.

B. CODE:

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve humankind; to safeguard
    lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression
    or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the
    constitutional rights of all men and women to liberty, equality, and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in
    the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of
    the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I
    will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department.
    Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official
    capacity will be kept confidential unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my
    duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or
    friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless
    prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without
    fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never
    accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public
    trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly
    strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen professional
    law enforcement.
    118.1 - Page 1

Unregistered
    Maybe you should read this. There is no expiration date associated with this Code of Ethics. All should have been fired.

A. POLICY
    1. Law enforcement effectiveness requires that actions of public employees be
    impartial; that government decisions and policies be made in the proper channels
    of government structure; that public office not be used for personal gain; and that
    the public have confidence in the integrity of its police department. The purpose
    of this Code is to establish ethical guidelines of conduct for all department
    employees by setting forth those acts or actions that are compatible with the best
    interest of the City of Fort Lauderdale and its citizens.

2. The adoption of this Code of Ethics will, with cooperation, improve the attitude
    and practices of our employees; minimize injustice or the perception of injustice;
    and heighten public confidence in our local government, institutions, positions,
    and people. All members of the Fort Lauderdale Police Department are required
    to abide by this Code of Ethics.

B. CODE:

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve humankind; to safeguard
    lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression
    or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the
    constitutional rights of all men and women to liberty, equality, and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in
    the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of
    the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I
    will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department.
    Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official
    capacity will be kept confidential unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my
    duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or
    friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless
    prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without
    fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never
    accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public
    trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly
    strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen professional
    law enforcement.
    118.1 - Page 1
    Hey, i hear Alvarez has an outstanding parking ticket and an overdue library book

Unregistered
    Hey, i hear Alvarez has an outstanding parking ticket and an overdue library book
    I heard he went 47 in a 45 mph zone too. I guess the op really knows how to hold a grudge. Maybe alvarez didn't allow him to get in a special unit?

Unregistered
    Thank you for exposing the coverup Mr Carter

Chief, Office of Mission Assurance
    Robert J. Carter
    Official Portrait Chief OMA Robert Carter
    Robert J. Carter is the Associate Administrator for the Office of Mission Assurance at the U.S. General Services Administration effective December 28, 2014.

In this role, he is responsible for organizing national resources into a centralized office which provides direct support to first responders, emergency workers and recovery teams during presidentially-declared disasters and continuity of government events across the United States. Mr. Carter is the designated senior official responsible for the implementation of national policies, practices and directives for continuity, disaster response, emergency management, resilience and preparedness, intelligence and security disciplines - including physical, personnel and cyber.

Mr. Carter has served in several key roles at GSA, most recently as Chief of Staff for the Office of Emergency Response and Recovery. During this time, he provided agency-wide operational coordination for response to Superstorm Sandy, the State of the Union Address, the Boston Marathon bombings and the 2013 Presidential Inauguration.

Prior to his arrival at GSA, Mr. Carter was Chief of Training for the law enforcement and force protection division within the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. In addition, his career also includes 23 years with the Fort Lauderdale Police Department where he served as the Executive Officer and retired as Assistant Chief of Police.

Mr. Carter earned a master’s degree from American University in Washington, DC.
    Are you trying to push bobby for the police chief position? Is that the point of this? Are you using a public forum to push your agenda for who you want for chief? Did he apply for the new round?

Unregistered
    I heard he went 47 in a 45 mph zone too. I guess the op really knows how to hold a grudge. Maybe alvarez didn't allow him to get in a special unit?
    Alvarez borrowed a radio battery from property control and never brought it back..

Unregistered
    Thank god Alvarez is out i heard that guy used to go 10-8 from 40 while still eating his dinner!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast