Off Duty Opportunity's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mr. Deputy

Off Duty Opportunity's

Good afternoon. I'm looking to apply to a few agencies, and would like some information about the off duty Opportunity's available at Hillsborough County Sherriffs office.

1. Is there alot of off duty available?
    2. Is there a weekly hour limit that a Deputy can take on , if so how much ?
    3. Are deputies straight out of the academy allowed to receive off duty assignments ? Or do you have to be off probation?

Just curious, because I saw the advertised pay and was wondering if its typical for Deputies to work some off duty to earn some extra income.

Thanks

Unregistered
    I have retired so my answers might not be up to date. But, since no one else has answered, I will try. Yes, there is plenty of off duty work available. You may only work off duty 72 hours in a month without taking leave. You use to be required to wait 18 months after employment which is after probation, with the exception of working ot at the courthouse.

Don’t let overtime pay and opportunities govern you decision to employ with any agency. Don’t work excessive hours of overtime and run up your bills with the expectation of continuing the overtime. Things can change limiting or eliminating your ability to work, then you are left in a pinch. A lot of overtime can cause a problem in a divorce when you have an established annual income. Working 72 hours ot in a month will burn you out. Enjoy time with your friends and family instead. Work a minimal or moderate amount of off duty. And trust me, you will have plenty to learn to enhance your knowledge and skills in the first years, especially 18 months, of your career. You can use a little of your off duty time for such if you care about your proficiency and performance. It will make you a better deputy, if you care to be one and enhance your reputation. Good luck with your aspirations. I loved my career with HCSO.

Unregistered
    There are plenty of jobs open and you can get private jobs where you're guaranteed so many jobs a month. You can do 72 hours a month and during the fair season you can usually do more than that, I think up to 120. Also some districts offer open zones where you can work overtime which doesn't count towards off duty. You have to be sworn 18 months before you can work off duty.

Unregistered
    Sounds good. I appreciate the information.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have retired so my answers might not be up to date. But, since no one else has answered, I will try. Yes, there is plenty of off duty work available. You may only work off duty 72 hours in a month without taking leave. You use to be required to wait 18 months after employment which is after probation, with the exception of working ot at the courthouse.

Don’t let overtime pay and opportunities govern you decision to employ with any agency. Don’t work excessive hours of overtime and run up your bills with the expectation of continuing the overtime. Things can change limiting or eliminating your ability to work, then you are left in a pinch. A lot of overtime can cause a problem in a divorce when you have an established annual income. Working 72 hours ot in a month will burn you out. Enjoy time with your friends and family instead. Work a minimal or moderate amount of off duty. And trust me, you will have plenty to learn to enhance your knowledge and skills in the first years, especially 18 months, of your career. You can use a little of your off duty time for such if you care about your proficiency and performance. It will make you a better deputy, if you care to be one and enhance your reputation. Good luck with your aspirations. I loved my career with HCSO.
    Great information. Thanks for taking the time to share. I totally hear you. I'm not looking for a ton of OT and off duty, but a little extra if the opportunity arises.

I'm only asking because if selected , my income would be a little less than what I am currently making , so it would be great to be able to earn a little more from time to time. I'm definitely not banking on it forever. I'm really trying to get in to LE because I feel it's a great field. Even with the current environment. Thanks again.

Unregistered
    There are plenty of jobs open and you can get private jobs where you're guaranteed so many jobs a month. You can do 72 hours a month and during the fair season you can usually do more than that, I think up to 120. Also some districts offer open zones where you can work overtime which doesn't count towards off duty. You have to be sworn 18 months before you can work off duty.
    Man, I'm so glad I'm not in your shoes. Applying, waiting, jumping through hoops, having to be nice to a bunch of pompous narcissists, kissing butt, and playing the game just to get into a terrible horrible dangerous job just for the pay and already worrying about off duty jobs and over time. This job will consume your life. Don’t forget to incorporate this job into your marriage by getting a black wedding ring with blue stripe. Also, don’t forget to tattoo your badge on your arm or chest. Just don’t forget that this job, the citizens, the victims, the bad guys, the brass, the courts, and nobody else gives one crap about you.

Unregistered
    Man, I'm so glad I'm not in your shoes. Applying, waiting, jumping through hoops, having to be nice to a bunch of pompous narcissists, kissing butt, and playing the game just to get into a terrible horrible dangerous job just for the pay and already worrying about off duty jobs and over time. This job will consume your life. Don’t forget to incorporate this job into your marriage by getting a black wedding ring with blue stripe. Also, don’t forget to tattoo your badge on your arm or chest. Just don’t forget that this job, the citizens, the victims, the bad guys, the brass, the courts, and nobody else gives one crap about you.

Why would anyone listen to a self described azz kisser whose entire personality was being a cop? That's a total douche in my book.

Unregistered
    Why would anyone listen to a self described azz kisser whose entire personality was being a cop? That's a total douche in my book.
    Exactly. That’s most working here. The ones that make us real cops look bad.

Unregistered
    Wowwww.. jajajajaj.. gotta love the energy.
    Brother, what in the world are you talking about ????? Who the hell is jumping through hoops, waiting , and kissing azzzz???? And doing it for the money ????? I've worked in the private sector for most of my career, and have worked in Government as well. Anywhere you choose to work, there will be issues .

I can honestly say I've made much more money than what's being offered, so trust me my friend. Its not about money to me.
    I'd actually like to serve. As crazy as that sounds in these times we are living.

By the way, so far It's been a simple hiring process. You apply, take a few basic tests , interview, and fill out some basic information.. The agency does the rest.. If you read my post I'm just simply asking if in fact there are some additional opportunities to earn a little extra. Me personally I enjoy working and making a good living . Dont read too much into posts. Some might actually be just honest questions.. lolololol

I'm not looking to destroy my marriage, tattoo my badge jajajajajaj or none of that .. To each is own.. if someone wants to do that , so be it.. it's their life to live my friend. As long as they are committed, do a great job, are a great co worker and represent the Sherriffs office in a solid way .. what's the problem ??

I've met people in all walks of life who work in all different industries , government included. I know Doctors who make a ton of money, but are miserable , yet I know teachers who barely make any money and are happier than anyone, I have family and close friends that have been in law enforcement for over 20 years and dont regret a minute .. and yes, they've told me how difficult things are right now.

At the end of the day , it's all about how you feel about who you are and what you got going for yourself.. people can be miserable in any job ... or they can be happy .. it's what you make of it. But trust me and rest assure , I am absolutely clear that I know what I am trying to get into.. and I understand the risks involved, the issues within the law enforcement community and public perception.. and very aware about starting pay.. but thanks for your concern.

Hopefully I can come out and be of service..

Unregistered
    You sound like you have a good outlook on life. I retired after thirty years and loved my career. Sure, I had a few ups and downs along the way, but that’s expected. My suggestions to you: study hard, don’t cut corners, do it the right way even when nobody is looking. Don’t get caught up in office gossip with disgruntled people; it will tear you down. I could go on and one with advice but I am sure my response will solicit enough criticism as it is. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast