New Chief

Thread: New Chief

Unregistered

New Chief

I hear you guys need a new chief; your last few Chiefs haven’t been black enough. Just a suggestion, but BSO would probably be ok with Sheriff Tony leaving. Do you think he could past the City’s Melanin test?

Unregistered

Fort Lauderdale cops need one good chief. Seven people are in the running

Susannah Bryan, South Florida Sun Sentinel
    Wed, December 23, 2020, 8:01 AM EST
    Seven contenders are in line to lead Fort Lauderdale’s police department — including Tomas Sanchez, who retired as Hollywood’s top cop two years ago.

City Manager Chris Lagerbloom, the man who will make the final decision on whom to hire, says he doesn’t expect to make a pick until early next year.

“I’ve got to get this one right,” he said. “I’m looking for someone who is willing to make a change and champion it. Someone who appreciates the diversity of the department and the community. And someone willing to meet the challenges head on.”

The list of candidates includes Interim Chief Karen Dietrich, a veteran Fort Lauderdale cop who came up through the ranks; Craig Capri, former chief in Daytona Beach; Todd Chamberlain, a former Los Angeles school police chief and retired commander with the Los Angeles Police Department; Jack “John” Dale, a former Fort Lauderdale police captain and former colonel with the Broward Sheriff’s Office; John Pate, city manager and director of Public Safety for Opa-locka; Tomas Sanchez, former chief of the Hollywood Police Department; and Cecil Smith, police chief in Sanford.

Dietrich has been in charge of the agency’s 530 sworn officers and 179 civilians since July 9, when Lagerbloom demoted Rick Maglione from chief to major.

Lagerbloom has declined to say just what prompted the move, but five days earlier Maglione had posted a public statement defending the actions his officers took during a May 31 protest over the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police.

Fort Lauderdale police fired tear gas and rubber bullets, contributing to a chaotic and violent scene. Police say protesters started it all when they threw rocks, bricks and fireworks.

Dietrich is among the seven applicants for the chief’s job, but Commissioner Robert McKinzie says he’d rather see an outside hire at the helm.

“We need the right fit,” McKinzie said. “I’m looking for someone to come in and really do a deep dive on the agency. We need to be transparent. We need better training. We need more diversity. We’ve tried internally so many times, and I think it’s time to do something different. This time I think we need to hire from the outside.”

Lagerbloom says he still needs to narrow down the list to three contenders.

McKinzie, Fort Lauderdale’s only Black commissioner, says it might be time for a minority to lead the department.

“I think a minority pick would be a great pick,” he said. “Especially dealing with the hurdle of what we have to overcome in terms of what the public thinks and how the African-American community has been treated. At the end of the day we are looking for the best police chief. Black, white, Hispanic. We are looking for the best person to do the job.”

Two of the seven job candidates (John Pate and Cecil Smith) are Black, and one (Tomas Sanchez) is Hispanic.

The department attracted more than 80 applicants after launching a nationwide search, Lagerbloom said.

With police departments across the nation under intense scrutiny amid claims of police brutality and racial bias, much is riding on Lagerbloom’s decision.

“I told him this is probably the most important hiring decision he will make in his tenure so take time to get it right,” Commissioner Ben Sorensen said. “Don’t rush this.”

A rookie won’t make the grade, Sorensen added.

“We need someone with a good track record,” he said. “We have to consider both internal and external candidates and just pick the best person. I have full confidence he is going to choose the right chief.”

Christina Currie, a civil rights attorney and Fort Lauderdale resident who chairs the city’s citizen police review board, has some tips on the type of chief the department needs.

“They should be looking for somebody who has a pristine background,” Currie said. “It would be ideal if they could find someone from a department that has led the way in reform. They need to make sure they are not getting someone else’s bad apple.”

Currie favors hiring from outside the department.

“They should hire someone who is coming from a police department that does not reek of unprofessionalism,” she said. “They should be selecting a candidate who is from a department that does not have problematic or questionable past practices or policies. We need a new dynamic and new relationships. We need to freshen everything up with a new perspective across the board.”

Susannah Bryan can be reached at sbryan@sunsentinel.com or 954-356-4554 or on Twitter @Susannah_Bryan

Unregistered

Is this a scam

Is this a legitimate company? The address is a post office.

Florida Limited Liability Company

GUARDIAN DEFENSE, LLC

Filing Information
    Document Number
    L13000162099
    FEI/EIN Number
    46-4702468
    Date Filed
    11/19/2013
    Effective Date
    11/19/2013
    State
    FL
    Status
    ACTIVE
    Last Event
    LC AMENDMENT
    Event Date Filed
    10/26/2018
    Event Effective Date
    NONE

Unregistered

Why bring the incompetence and shame of Parkland back to FLPD, BSO post

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    A legend in his own mine. Jack of all trades. Was an empty suit during his time at FLPD. Went to BSO screwed that up horribly and want to return to be chief. This arrogant pos couldn’t lead a Boy Scout troop. Don’t like Gays or blacks. so he will fit in good with good ole boys, the few that are still there. You’re better with what you have now. This guy will destroy FLPD with his theories. You will monitor from the time you sit inside that vehicle. If you want your agency destroyed hire him. Send him a message stay away and remain a security guard.

What price did Captain Jan pay. The city had to force Israel to remove her. She was never ever investigated by jack dale boys internal affairs why because they all come from FLPD. All BSO people was investigated and received some type of action. Then she received a Cush job working for FLPD Harrington. She never went before the MSD committee. But the sergeant took the hits when she was on the scene also. If your radio don’t work run outside the office and wave to guys to get some attention. She was afraid to get involved. Should have never been the Chief. What another Israel disaster. Patty we all know Cruz fired the gun you drunk. However Israel is the leader. Remember he said his name is on the door 😂.

Unregistered

Corrupt?

FRED WOOD / JANUARY 4, 2021
    I find it interesting that Jack Dale is fighting for unused sick leave. I retired as a Captain in September 2016. At the time, I was told by one of the other litigants mentioned that I would be paid all of my unused sick leave. That has been customary for Captains and above at retirement. In addition, it was traditional to pay the medical insurance premiums for retiring captains and above until Medicare eligibility.

This should all be public record BTW.

At retirement, Jack Dale advised me that I would receive only the unused sick leave payout afforded bargaining unit employees and no offer of medical coverage. I believe his quote was something like, “These payouts are getting out of control and we have to draw a line in the sand. It starts with you.”

Funny how things change Jack when the shoe is on the other foot.

I’ve also heard that Sheriff Tony has given full sick leave payouts and medical to those retiring since he took office….also public record.

Unregistered

Certainty of Punishment when the Public Trust is Violated

I find it interesting that Jack Dale is fighting for unused sick leave. I retired as a Captain in September 2016. At the time, I was told by one of the other litigants mentioned that I would be paid all of my unused sick leave. That has been customary for Captains and above at retirement. In addition, it was traditional to pay the medical insurance premiums for retiring captains and above until Medicare eligibility.

At retirement, Jack Dale advised me that I would receive only the unused sick leave payout afforded bargaining unit employees and no offer of medical coverage. I believe his quote was something like, “These payouts are getting out of control and we have to draw a line in the sand. It starts with you.”

I’ve also heard that Sheriff Tony has given full sick leave payouts and medical to those retiring since he took office….also public record.

This is the type of leadership that is needed in Fort Lauderdale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6TwHJFLCqE

Unregistered

Is he still trespassed from Galleria Mall?

Another new chief in the wings?

https://redbroward.com/2021/04/23/fo...-police-chief/

Unregistered
    He can’t work here. We know he likes to go jogging and traffic homicides have been through the roof. We can’t risk him getting hit by another pickup truck...

Unregistered
    Wait, is there any difference between what skin color your boss will have? It's just wild for me, or I'm not the only one who thinks racism should not exist not only in social life but also in professional life. This topic is very close to me since my black mother almost lost her career due to the manifestation of such racism. A couple of racists decided to dissolve false information about my mother's work as a director, after which they wanted to remove her from her position without the right to reinstatement. Thank God my friend advised us the guys from ndandp.co.uk who worked very quickly and helped refute the rumors and keep my mother's position as a director not to blame for anything. Be more mindful and kind, gentlemen