What is the best decision? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I feel your pain and agree with most of what you have said. I would expect you to work had your entire shit, and agree, working countless hours of overtime regularly is debilitating. Periodically is acceptable if taking a priority position on a high priority call but not regularly for documentation purposes. The shift overlap, it is sufficient. The manpower allocation to patrol is not. To compound the matter, it is your supervisors responsibility to communicate with the relief supervisor to schedule your relief if dispatchers are not looking after you. But, saying that, I don’t expect you to sit around with your finger up you azz at the end of shift. Go 97 and start the case. Do an initial interview, dust for prints, do something. Again, I feel your pain. Speak your your supervisor like an adult and ask for a resolution. And finally, do you have to use the Lord’s name in vain? It pains me to hear your disrespect for the Lord. Please consider breaking that bad habit.
    Thank you for your response. I am the original poster. And you are right with regard to using the lords name vain. Won’t happen again. Thank you for your understanding. Supervisors don’t care though because it is part of a bigger paradigm problem. Getting us home must be a priority that is accepted all the way to the top. Which it’s not. In fact, getting us home on time can hinder a supervisors rat race progress up all those ranks.

Unregistered
    Many feel the same way as the OP. It’s just that no one cares so no one speaks up. If they do speak up, the rat racing brown nosers attack adding to the problem. I hope one day for a mass walk out or work stoppage.

Unregistered
    Many feel the same way as the OP. It’s just that no one cares so no one speaks up. If they do speak up, the rat racing brown nosers attack adding to the problem. I hope one day for a mass walk out or work stoppage.
    Not gonna happen, Debbie Downer. Not everyone's as miserable as you.

And NO, I'm not brass, nor an azz kisser. Just thought I'd head that tired azz excuse off at the pass. Plenty of us know how to constructively speak up for ourselves.

If you're not sure how to do this, observe how others who are able to enact positive change and use these techniques for yourself.

Unregistered
    Well that is a real shame, really is. I guess times have changed. I retired as a Lieutenant. As a corporal and a sergeant, my goal was either to get a call reassigned or a relief scheduled for my deputy before I got off. I would either personally wait until one was dispatched if I made a request through the communications center, 10/55 with the relief supervisor, or communicate with The relief supervisor via digital. Now keep in mind, there were always exceptions to the rule depending on the nature of the call and/or the importance of the deputies actions from my squad that went 10/97. Some of the time overtime after 12 hour shift is unavoidable. Once, as a deputy, I was scheduled to get off at 0600 and got off at 1300 hours. Exhausted, yes, but realized the importance of involvement at the scene. Hey guys and girls, my heart goes out for you. And my suggestion at all cost is to seek better supervision.

Unregistered
    We have a dramatic leadership crisis here and it's getting worse. We have no leaders, we have tons of supervisors though. This place is not even run by people or persons, it is run by a culture. The culture is shaped by petty game playing, legacy building and politics. Cavemen in supervisory roles are all involved in playing odd games for the sake of their egos or their mental problems (think SN) instead or trying to make Hillsborough a better place to live and work.

Unregistered
    Bring back some of the golden oldies, supervisors that were leaders.

Unregistered
    Not gonna happen, Debbie Downer. Not everyone's as miserable as you.

And NO, I'm not brass, nor an azz kisser. Just thought I'd head that tired azz excuse off at the pass. Plenty of us know how to constructively speak up for ourselves.

If you're not sure how to do this, observe how others who are able to enact positive change and use these techniques for yourself.
    Just like that. Discredited. Just like our command and executive staff does. Spin it around as the person bringing up issues is crazy. YOU and scum like you are why nothing changes for the better. YOU are what civilians mean when they speak of cover ups. You stunt change because of your denial, false pride, and for feeding our company incorrect info just so YOU can look tough. Approval seeking. Nothing will change because of YOU and others like you.

All this agency does is make the inanimate objects that it owns look better or updated. Like computers, vehicles, and so on. It may be the most advanced agency as far as STUFF goes, but not as far as leading human being, morale, employee mental health, and employee satisfaction. Even a most basic skill like giving employees reasonably attainable goal that actually matter towards progress, actual positive feedback, and positive reinforcement. Which there literally is none of. The agency only knows how to spend money. That’s the easy part.

There is one big powerful thing I have on my side... The truth. Anyone that is able to get hired here WILL see how things are. How it is impossible to stay here to full term without serious burnout or consequences. They will either stay and keep quiet and later quit or stay and talk about it and later quit. But there will always be an “IT”. Our leadership and morale issues.

Why do we lose so many to TPD and the feds? When it’s the other way around, I’ll start listening you you and others like you.

By the way, where is good old DA? The HCSO’s holden boy. Heard he even left for TPD.

How about that?

Unregistered
    We have a dramatic leadership crisis here and it's getting worse. We have no leaders, we have tons of supervisors though. This place is not even run by people or persons, it is run by a culture. The culture is shaped by petty game playing, legacy building and politics. Cavemen in supervisory roles are all involved in playing odd games for the sake of their egos or their mental problems (think SN) instead or trying to make Hillsborough a better place to live and work.
    Well said. And it all goes on while the few of us risk our lives and mentally burn out because nobody is paying attention or modulating our stress intake and exposure.

Remember back in the day when even majors and captains monitored the radio and canceled calls?

It is not about simply canceling calls. It is not about depriving citizens of our service. Just canceling calls is not what anyone wants. It’s not about less calls. It’s about this.... Are these calls worth the deputy responding and being put in danger or stress? Non police calls that are guaranteed to cause an argument between the citizens and deputies should be canceled. At a minimum, to keep try the deputy in a mental state that they can sustain for 30 years.

This whole barbaric, SENT THEM TO EVERYTHING AND IF THEY DONT LIKE IT THEY CAN QUIT, mentality needs to die.

A real leader looks out for our mental health and emotions. We are not lawyers, therapists, marriage counselors. Votes and call volume numbers are not worth us burning out.

For you leaders, every time a deputy gets dispatched to a call, you should picture your son or daughter headed that way. Yes, this is their duty. Yes, they signed up for this. And yes, this job is required to exist in order to maintain peace and somebody has to do it, BUT.... if they are going to go. It better be a good reason for them to go. This agency has cheapened us. It is the fault of liberal agencies and local governments like ours that does not command and demand the respect for its deputies. In turn, it goes both ways. The side effect? It is reflected back upon the citizens. This is basic and known by true cops that have masted this job and can see right through these BS calls and lying people. When you are fast tracked you are stunted and truly do not understand this job. When you are brought in to lead from the outside to lead us, you are of no value as a leader. Only a manager. Managing is easy. Leading is not.

This site is covered in deputies screaming for help. It is full of all the information needed to make things better. Yet nobody acts on it.

I wish all you actual front line deputies and detective a happy safe new year.

Unregistered
    Well that is a real shame, really is. I guess times have changed. I retired as a Lieutenant. As a corporal and a sergeant, my goal was either to get a call reassigned or a relief scheduled for my deputy before I got off. I would either personally wait until one was dispatched if I made a request through the communications center, 10/55 with the relief supervisor, or communicate with The relief supervisor via digital. Now keep in mind, there were always exceptions to the rule depending on the nature of the call and/or the importance of the deputies actions from my squad that went 10/97. Some of the time overtime after 12 hour shift is unavoidable. Once, as a deputy, I was scheduled to get off at 0600 and got off at 1300 hours. Exhausted, yes, but realized the importance of involvement at the scene. Hey guys and girls, my heart goes out for you. And my suggestion at all cost is to seek better supervision.
    Thank you LT. We need people like you here now.

Unregistered
    Best part is, I’m sure at some point, our agency leaders have appointed some connected dumb asss or created some moronic committee full of favorites to look into and come up with making something last longer or be more efficient. Like when our vehicles were using nitrogen in our tires to save gas. Save gas, save paper, save money, save this, save that....

Yet, there is not and has never been a system in place to save or sustain the mental health of our deputies. To ensure their longevity. Same for our essential detectives.. By tracking and modulating the intake and exposure of stress and negativity. You want to be progressive HCSO? Start there.

So far it’s the same old crap. The solution to all problems is... First pull people from patrol. The connected ones. Second, creat a committee. Third, creat more supervisor positions for the committee. Fourth, buy another building. Fifth, more brass and secretaries.

Same goes for this so called mental enoloyee health assistance. Which is nothing new. What does a non cop that works for our brass know or care about us?

This botched attempt to look after our mental health is the same wasteful behavior. Hire a fancy connected doctor and social workers plus the new building and command. Then we can go there to “talk to them”. Talk? Really? After the fact? Once we are already symptomatic and burned out?

How about PREVENT THE SYMPTOMS? This agency can’t even give us what we need to proactively patrol and prevent crime, let alone proactively prevent and deter burnout and people quitting.

Start with getting rid of all these fluff deputy and supervisory positions and put them back on patrol. At a minimum, more deputies and more detectives will distribute the stress amongst many. How about get us home on time? Do you really think taking a three hour call after being here 11 hours is giving the public quality work???? It’s a band aid for a terrible deployment of troops.

How about you fukcers actually read this stuff and instead of figuring out a good PR response to counter it, how about pass it along so they can fix this agency?

Also, cancel BS calls. Maybe these people should learn how to solve the many problems they have been made to believe we can fix. Is called learned helplessness. Let’s get back to doing what cops do and let the county and state fill in their own human services gaps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast