What will you do?

Unregistered

What will you do?

With the latest newsworthy incident garnering many comments on LEOAffairs about a detective that should never have been promoted, it would appear to the average reader that honesty and integrity is still high on the list of morals carried by the fine officers of TPD. So it brings me to a real question.

This week governor Cuomo of New York passed a law banning the confederate flag and other “hate symbols” from being displayed on public land. The first amendment was actually written for that very purpose. It guarantees your right to express yourself in any way you like on public land. Not only does the law he signed not spell out who decides what is or is not hate speech ( BLM flags and antifa flags are not hate speech according to Cuomo) Cuomo has confessed the law likely violates the constitution but he will cross that bridge when he gets to it. Many other laws and “orders” from mayors and governors during this pandemic have been unconstitutional and we have seen insane scenes of people getting arrested for opening businesses, going to church or not wearing masks.

WHAT WILL YOU DO?

These violations of rights are very clear in most cases and don’t take a law degree to recognize as unconstitutional. All the violations have occurred in democrat run cities so far and it’s not a stretch to think that eventually Jane Castor will direct the chief to enforce unconstitutional orders from her office.

When the day comes when you are sitting in roll call and the LT or major comes in and instructs you to arrest people for what they deem hate speech or not wearing a mask etc. will you obey those orders? The law states you can refuse and can not be punished. TPD I believe also states the same in its SOPs. Will you knowingly violate civil rights and just tell yourself the courts will Dort it out or will you stand up and say no?

Let’s hear what you have to say.

Unregistered
    Three options:

- resign

- refuse to obey the orders because you believe they are illegal and sue the agency if it retaliates

- obey the orders

Unregistered
    Obeying the orders would not be an option for me. I took an oath and the situation as described would be such a flagrant violation of civil rights you can be sued or even arrested.

Unregistered
    My cousin works in a small department outside of Boston. His wife was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. She is in remission after battling the cancer for two years at a cost of 1.2 million dollars. Will our healthcare trust cover our spouses is this happens to us. What if the healthcare trust got hit with four of of souses got cancer at the same time. Is there enough money in the trust fund to cover our loved ones in they come down with cancer or COVID-19?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Obeying the orders would not be an option for me. I took an oath and the situation as described would be such a flagrant violation of civil rights you can be sued or even arrested.
    If you obey the orders which are legally issued per agency regulations you are covered from liability because then the agency assumes the liability.

However if you act against agency regulations you have placed the agency under vicarious liability so it will not cover you in case you get sued. The agency will probably terminate you but you can sue it if you believe it has violated your civil rights.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you obey the orders which are legally issued per agency regulations you are covered from liability because then the agency assumes the liability.

However if you act against agency regulations you have placed the agency under vicarious liability so it will not cover you in case you get sued. The agency will probably terminate you but you can sue it if you believe it has violated your civil rights.
    This is actually only partially true. If the orders are clearly illegal and the court determined the officer should have recognized it as illegal then you are not covered. You are held responsible by the courts to disobey the orders. The sad thing is it used to only be the left that wanted to defund the police but with all the unconstitutional arrests by police over this covid crap around the nation police have lost the support from a large portion of the right.

Unregistered

See something say something

Per our Chief, if we encounter something wrong, not lawful which this is then we need to say something right? Stop it from happening, right? Whatever happened to my body my choice? The Mayor here needs to stop the mask bullshit and let the business operate without fear of being fined. People have a choice to where they want to go and do business. If they feel their heath is in jeopardy, then they can stay home. Simple.