Is anyone being told not to use handcuffs during arrest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Is anyone being told not to use handcuffs during arrest

Our office has been informed not to use handcuffs unless its a rare circumstance during arrest. Not sure if this is true but supposedly this comes direct from Mr. Winkler. Pretty sure handcuffs are used to prevent an incident from happening. This is crazy! Anyone that is arrested by P&P should be handcuffed as soon as the arrest happens. This does not make sense, we handcuff everyone during a search, but not when we arrest. I think our Secretary seems like the best we have had in a long time. He probably does not know any of this is happening. Also heard offices are letting felony VOP warrants walk right out and do nothing. I think we can actually be charged with a crime for this.

Unregistered Alien
    Our office doesn't do arrests and any warrants the SOP is to stall them in our office until the real law enforcement arrives to make the arrest. Of course they get antsy because they know we're stalling so we're just hoping they don't start swinging.

I can't tell if this is a Winkler or a local circuit/office thing, but there's no hope for p&p being a real law enforcement partner when we leave everything to chance and other departments to do our job.

Unregistered
    What would FDLE do if they knew this or even local leo. I know its happened before. Some poor local cop pulls a guy over that we let walk. You know as well as I some of the young Deputies do not realize how serious some of these VOP's are. The guy they are stopping that we let walk could be going to prison for many years. Bad things happen that we could have stopped. I am not a Lawyer but I agree with the above. I think if we knowingly let a Felony Warrant walk out the door and do nothing, I'm pretty sure we would have committed some type of crime. This is crazy, I cant see any leader in Tallahassee permitting this. Is there anything written in our policy. I know sometimes we dont do arrests without a warrant, but were talking about a Judges signed order to take someone into custody.

Unregistered
    Major issue. Happens in Hernando also. The only one that can handcuff someone is the supervisor who is about as competent as a goat. People walk out all the time.

Unregistered
    If my memory is correct is this not how the old zero tolerance started,, because we were not doing our job. This either happened in Citrus or Marion. Someone was killed because we didn't do anything. I was not here then. Its my understanding everyone was fired. I think some got their job back I donk know. I will continue to arrest with handcuffs until they put something in writing.

Unregistered
    main practice in most of circuit 6. How dont know how P&P does not get in some serious legal issues.

Unregistered
    It is an insurance issue, that's why handcuffs are not allowed. The Department does not carry the same insurance that other law enforcement agencies carry. That's why Probation Officers are prohibited from using handcuffs during an arrest.

Unregistered
    you are full of it.

Unregistered
    Leave the Handcuffing to the real LEO's. You are more like a DCF social worker.

Unregistered
    Wait till some offender does something horrible after a PO fails to cuff him. Then they will fire the PO and his/her sup and then write a new policy. Then publicly blame the PO and throw them under the bus and state how outraged and sickened they were from a dereliction of duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast