Options

Thread: Options

Unregistered

Options

I am AD military looking to become an officer in the Tampa Bay area upon getting out. HCSO has the closest sponsored academy to when I get out but after my research, it seems that patrol is way understaffed and no opportunity for proactive stops? I am a looking to self sponsor and then apply for TPD instead but I was wondering how long you have to work at HCSO before you can transfer? Is that an option or should I just take the pay bullet, self fund then go elsewhere? Is work climate really that bad at HCSO? Thanks.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am AD military looking to become an officer in the Tampa Bay area upon getting out. HCSO has the closest sponsored academy to when I get out but after my research, it seems that patrol is way understaffed and no opportunity for proactive stops? I am a looking to self sponsor and then apply for TPD instead but I was wondering how long you have to work at HCSO before you can transfer? Is that an option or should I just take the pay bullet, self fund then go elsewhere? Is work climate really that bad at HCSO? Thanks.
    TPD retire in 20 years. We retire in 30. Problems are in any agency. I would apply to Tpd.. or you can come to us..but you have to stay for 2 yrs I believe or they will take their training money back. A few months back about 20 rookies left to other less paparazzi agencies.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    TPD retire in 20 years. We retire in 30. Problems are in any agency. I would apply to Tpd.. or you can come to us..but you have to stay for 2 yrs I believe or they will take their training money back. A few months back about 20 rookies left to other less paparazzi agencies.
    Appreciate the reply, and yea I've never seen one name or face anywhere near as much as HCSO. At first I thought it was just an American thing.

Unregistered
    Here is what will really happen for you IF you come work at the HCSO....

This is based on 95% of my past and current zone partners and squad mates that were ex military, current or in the reserves. Many are my friends. This is based on my own eyes watching for years and years and years watching and learning.

You will pull that “I served my country and now I want to serve my community” BS and you will breeze through the lengthy application process. You will be frustrated with how long it takes and the little feedback you get, but you will be so excited.

Once you start the academy with all their “para military” type training and field training you will see that it’s a joke but you will still have hope for when you are out of training and on your own. Thank god you won’t. have to endure the joke that SOT was.

When you make it to patrol you will see what HCSO deputies really do. Mostly deal with the county dumping of all mental health, drug, and homeless problems on us plus drunks domestics and crashes. Not many true victims. Just defective, emotional stunted, impulsive, and people arrested developments that we constantly catch and release and babysit while real hard working tac payer work hard and never use our resources. You will try to keep your head up and at least make it past probation. By then you will see that this county is basically an external inside mental hospital, and you are one of the orderlies. The county and states lack of resources for the citizens fall on us for a bigger budget. Which in the end money does not in any way make up for how this job through this agency erodes you. You will be made to take on and try to resolve problems that law enforcement officers have no training or legal backing to do for the mere reason that there is no one else to do it. We take on too much at a major liability risk.

Lastly, you will do what most all our military and reserves do... Do everything you can to use the military to get away from the agency as much as possible. With good reason because this job sucks and our liberal agency makes it worse by making us the county’s catch all and *****. Not to mention expendable and disposable liability meat shields for the agency and even businesses. Military leave, training, drill, whatever, you won’t be here.

You will have too much pride to say this agency and career actually sucks after how much you hyped it up and worked to get it. It’s far far far from the military. See, here everyone hates us, we can do no right, and our best decision is the least wrong one. There is liability in everything we do and can be made the sacrificial lamb at any time to save the the majority. During these times it is not popular to back us up.

In the end you will end up “going back to the military” or taking a military contractor job or go to TPD.

So before you get hired here, take up a squad position, the be gone all the time keeping us short handed, don’t bother coming here. Sure a few years in the military is honorable and difficult, but this is 30 years. 30 years of being the county, state, and country’s fall guy. If you are going to come work here, then come work here. Grab a zone and tough it out for 30 years. Not half in half out. Our leaders fail to assign military leave people that are gone to a dedicated admin position instead of using up patrol positions so we can actually fill our squads with deputies that are physically here.

This may sound mean and selfish but it’s a fact Jack. Me and many others are here for the long haul and are in it all the way for decades with no praise and no “Thank you for your service”. Here we get “defund the police!” and body cams because we are all lying crooked and just want to kill people for no reason.

If you must get the cop bug out of your system, go to an agency that is not scared to stand up for its troops and one that puts the staffing of the front lines on the top of the priority list. Mainly one that is not too heavy.

Just because an agency does not sponsor and pay for an academy does make them bad. That means they don’t need to sponsor to keep people there. Heck, we sponsor and these rookies all quit on average of 2 years. Once they feel they “paid off” the academy cost. Honestly if we hired only pre certs, our resignations would double. Better to hire young people that feel they owe a debit and have nothing to compare the agency to. Clever. Otherwise nobody would be working here.

Also, you can forget about quick progress promotions and quick transfers. You will hump the street a very long time. Unless you are connected. You are posting here so you are not. Add the dead slow or lack of career advancement, progress, and actually attainable goals to the list of why you WILL find a way to go MIA when you come work here. Ironically, it will be the military you will use to go MIA. Especially if you come to D4.

This post will get flamed pretty bad. Believe what you want. Hopefully you will not learn the long wasteful hard way. Good luck.

For all you flamers, I will not be coming back to this thread. The post will serve its purpose for many years.