Mandatory reporter question

Unregistered

Mandatory reporter question

I have a question for anyone who has knowledge of child abuse mandatory reporters laws. Does a current mandated reporter have a legal obligation to report sexual molestation of a teenager that occurred in the past? In other words, if an adult who was victimized as a teen recently told a mandated reporter about sexual molestation that occurred in the past, would they have to notify law enforcement, DCF, or anyone else? Thank you

Unregistered
    Just a guess but I would use the statute of limitations for Criminal Violations for sex crimes as my guide.. If they could still be prosecuted, I would be sure and report it..

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just a guess but I would use the statute of limitations for Criminal Violations for sex crimes as my guide.. If they could still be prosecuted, I would be sure and report it..
    That is exactly why I asked. Does the mandatory reporter get to make that decision?

Unregistered

You just answered your own question

I have a question for anyone who has knowledge of child abuse mandatory reporters laws. Does a current mandated reporter have a legal obligation to report sexual molestation of a teenager that occurred in the past? In other words, if an adult who was victimized as a teen recently told a mandated reporter about sexual molestation that occurred in the past, would they have to notify law enforcement, DCF, or anyone else? Thank you
    What extra knowledge do you need to know besides the subject, "child abuse mandatory reporter law" (your words)

Yes you have to report it.

I don't think any professional that falls under that mandatory reporting would come to leoaffairs to ask that....I'd question their ability to work in their chosen field.

Perhaps you are the subject that is concerned about the statue of limitations...

Unregistered
    Statue of limitation is for the investigator/prosecutor to decide if they can pursue charges. That is not for the reporter with knowledge of the incident to decide.

Unregistered
    "if an adult who was victimized as a teen recently told a mandated reporter about sexual molestation that occurred in the past, would they have to notify law enforcement, DCF, or anyone else?"

In your scenario, who did that victim teen/now adult tell? Law enforcement and DCF are mandated reporters and some of the only ones that the victim should report to. Such an incident is not something that a victim of such tragic event likes to tell like gossip.

Unregistered
    Actually, I am a victim of childhood sexual abuse by Catholic priests. I kept my secret for 35 years. I finally came forward and told another priest from my childhood. It was not during confession or any other priestly function. He never reported it to the diocese and he never reported it to law-enforcement. I want to know if he, as a mandatory reporter, was legally obligated to report what I told him? I guess my basic question is are mandatory reporters legally obligated to report past abuse that they hear of in the present?

Unregistered
    Actually, I am a victim of childhood sexual abuse by Catholic priests. I kept my secret for 35 years. I finally came forward and told another priest from my childhood. It was not during confession or any other priestly function. He never reported it to the diocese and he never reported it to law-enforcement. I want to know if he, as a mandatory reporter, was legally obligated to report what I told him? I guess my basic question is are mandatory reporters legally obligated to report past abuse that they hear of in the present?

https://www.myflfamilies.com/service...dreporters.pdf

I don't believe a priest falls under the mandated reporter list. And yes, if you knew that he was a mandated reporter for such an incident, you would know that the person was/is bound to reporting the incident.

I would recommend that if you're going to disclose such a tragic incident, report it directly to the authorities. This is because whatever you told the priest, he will interpret the incident slightly different and may unintentionally add or omit information.

Unregistered
    And I wouldn't recommend telling another priest after having been a victim of such a horrific act by a priest.