Transfer from Jail to Patrol ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Transfer from Jail to Patrol ?

I was told that I should apply for the jail to get my foot in the door, then I could transfer to patrol 2 years later. Will the agency put me through the law enforcement academy if I request a transfer from the jail, because that's what I was led to believe. Or will I have to get law enforcement certified on my own while working at the jail? They seem to be pushing the jail job more than patrol. What am I missing here? I don't want to make a mistake and end up stuck at the jail.

Unregistered
    If you want patrol then put in for deputy recruit and get sponsored. If you can't get sponsored put yourself through the leo academy.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you want patrol then put in for deputy recruit and get sponsored. If you can't get sponsored put yourself through the leo academy.
    Thanks because they were trying to steer me towards the jail job. Rather disingenuous of them because I was interested in patrol. Seems like a waste of time to work 2 years in the jail in the hope that they will put me through the law enforcement academy and transfer me to patrol when my time is up and I request a transfer.

Unregistered
    I was told that I should apply for the jail to get my foot in the door, then I could transfer to patrol 2 years later. Will the agency put me through the law enforcement academy if I request a transfer from the jail, because that's what I was led to believe. Or will I have to get law enforcement certified on my own while working at the jail? They seem to be pushing the jail job more than patrol. What am I missing here? I don't want to make a mistake and end up stuck at the jail.
    Who told you this? HR?

Unregistered
    The jail is its own beast but pays the same amount, has the same amount of growth into supervision, and OT options right now.
    Patrol is its own beast with the same pay, more unit opportunities, and a ton of OT.
    Both have their cliques and politics.
    If you absolutely want to work patrol than apply for patrol deputy recruit. If you don't know what you want to do, put in for corrections to get a foot in the door to figure it out. It is up to you and worst case you can apply to a different agency if they won't transfer you from jail.

Unregistered
    Thanks for your replies and advice. I will put myself through the law enforcement academy and then apply at various local agencies.

Unregistered
    Find a good gas mask to sit on because they are blowing smoke up your ass. You don't want anything to do with that jail bullshit, it will take you wasted years to get out of there. The inmates come and go, but you won't. Don't fall for it.

Unregistered
    Don't believe anything HR tells you. They trap people in the jail by writing bad PMP's and try to hurt your reputation if they find out you are leaving. The jail is the absolute wort place to work with back stabbing and lying rampant. The only thing people care about is climbing rank to make sgt and they will do whatever and whoever it takes to get there. If you are a minority or female I would recommend because that's the only people they promote.

Unregistered

Thanks

The jail is its own beast but pays the same amount, has the same amount of growth into supervision, and OT options right now.
    Patrol is its own beast with the same pay, more unit opportunities, and a ton of OT.
    Both have their cliques and politics.
    If you absolutely want to work patrol than apply for patrol deputy recruit. If you don't know what you want to do, put in for corrections to get a foot in the door to figure it out. It is up to you and worst case you can apply to a different agency if they won't transfer you from jail.
    Thank you for the intelligent and mature answer. Don't see that much on here. It is much appreciated.

Unregistered
    Don't believe anything HR tells you. They trap people in the jail by writing bad PMP's and try to hurt your reputation if they find out you are leaving. The jail is the absolute wort place to work with back stabbing and lying rampant. The only thing people care about is climbing rank to make sgt and they will do whatever and whoever it takes to get there. If you are a minority or female I would recommend because that's the only people they promote.
    I'll second that plus if you manage to somehow transfer from the jail to patrol you will always have the "jailer" stigma associated with you which will hurt your reputation and promotional chances. Avoid the jail like the plague whatever you decide to do. The above poster described the jail situation perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast