Current hiring process - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Unregistered
    My advice to you is simple. If you are down in SW Florida, go to FMPD and walk around the outside of the department and the one city block it encompasses. If you still decided to apply there then you get what you get.

1) Nothing positive over the others. Grass isn't always greener on the other side, but the FMPD lawn is dead.

2) The process is long and drawn out as with any agency. Just about the same process at most agencies.

3) Piss

4) Other candidates turned down the job prior to him taking it. Admin as a whole is over staffed for an agency this size. Diggs created non essential positions and then filled them with his friends from Ohio. If you ever have a chance to speak with Diggs, ask him why he has two take home cars!!!!!

If you do end up working for FMPD all I can say is be prepared to "Change Your Mindset"

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    So I’m considering applying down at FMPD, Cape Coral PD, and Lee County.

I applied to a department up in DC but declined the offer after the entire process due to the current political climate here, no academy spots until April 2021, and wanting to move back to Florida.

I have followed your forum for a bit and I know y’all bust each other’s balls a lot and stuff but it seems like the majority think Cape and Lee are the better places to work.

1-What are the positives FMPD has over Lee county and CCPD? I know there has to be some. Maybe faster promotion opportunities?

2-What is process like? I know some departments have iffy polygraphs and psych results that fail candidates at higher rates than national average. I have done both and feel pretty confident though.

3-Is the drug test piss or hair? because I’m bald as shit.

4- This forum seems to not really be a fan of Diggs. Is that also the consensus department wide?

I’d love to hear from you guys, I know there has to be some positives for working at FMPD.

Thanks in advance.
    To the best of my knowledge these are some of the pros and cons of each department.

FMPD: Pros - average starting pay, a lot of opportunity for overtime, relatively fast movement into specialty units, fast pace and more action. Cons - take home cars take some time, admin and city aren’t as likely to have your back, high cost of insurance for dependents

LCSO: Pros - every specialty unit you can think of. Movement into specialty unit is relatively fast, variety of work assignments and call volume depending on district, Take home car, free insurance for you and dependents. Cons - significantly lower pay with no step plan, 30 year retirement, either there is no union or they don’t have as strong of an influence as other departments.

CCPD: Pros - highest paying department in SWFL, take home cars, outer vest, good equipment, supportive Admin and city. Busy enough to keep you busy but slow enough to still be proactive. Cons - very slow movement into specialty units, not as many specialty units, you can get into stuff but you have to look for it, department is stuck in the past, good insurance but very expensive for dependents.

Hope this helps

Unregistered
    To the best of my knowledge these are some of the pros and cons of each department.

FMPD: Pros - average starting pay, a lot of opportunity for overtime, relatively fast movement into specialty units, fast pace and more action. Cons - take home cars take some time, admin and city aren’t as likely to have your back, high cost of insurance for dependents

LCSO: Pros - every specialty unit you can think of. Movement into specialty unit is relatively fast, variety of work assignments and call volume depending on district, Take home car, free insurance for you and dependents. Cons - significantly lower pay with no step plan, 30 year retirement, either there is no union or they don’t have as strong of an influence as other departments.

CCPD: Pros - highest paying department in SWFL, take home cars, outer vest, good equipment, supportive Admin and city. Busy enough to keep you busy but slow enough to still be proactive. Cons - very slow movement into specialty units, not as many specialty units, you can get into stuff but you have to look for it, department is stuck in the past, good insurance but very expensive for dependents.

Hope this helps
    That really does. I genuinely appreciate the feedback and the other posters who have serious answers.

A couple follow up questions it I may.

What’s the FMPD rule on facial hair? I know CCPD allows it.

Are all rookies overnight or is it staggered with a mix of rookies and vets like CCPD and LCSO?

Unregistered

Hope this helps

LCSO does not have significantly lower pay. Most deputies are making at least 50k at this point, and the sheriff has already made it clear that he wishes for LCSO to be the highest paid agency in the area and had the counties backing on it.

You’re right about the union though. It’s really only an issue when it comes to punishment. Otherwise deputies are treated extremely well. The sheriff just allowed beards and outer carriers are coming in the next few weeks.

Unregistered
    How many are you hiring for or is it a constant process?

Unregistered
    How many are you hiring for or is it a constant process?
    We are always hiring lol

Unregistered
    We are always hiring lol
    We are always hiring because the more idiots we hire who think the job is cool because you get a gun and can post selfies on Facebook, the more grant money the chief gets which means more spending money for the chief who blows it in the most ridiculous way to the point the city leaders are getting fed up.. so like he said, were always hiring!

Unregistered
    Hey all, I’m glad I found this forum!

I’m currently in the interview process with your department. Everyone seems kind thus far but I haven’t had the chance to speak to any of the officers at the department that aren’t in recruitment yet.

Would anyone on here be open to a call just so I can pick your brain a bit regarding life at this department?

Unregistered
    477-1000. That’s Lee county sheriff, ask for HR.

Unregistered
    Hey all, I’m glad I found this forum!

I’m currently in the interview process with your department. Everyone seems kind thus far but I haven’t had the chance to speak to any of the officers at the department that aren’t in recruitment yet.

Would anyone on here be open to a call just so I can pick your brain a bit regarding life at this department?
    If your in the hiring process that means you have been to the agency and still decided to proceed. Let me ask you two things 1) How old are you? and 2) Why do you want to do this? As far as talking to someone, if you put out a way to get in touch you will get a lot of responses, but do not expect a lot of positive feedback. You need to speak with rank and file, not the Sunshine up your A$$ all smiles recruitment team. That is a fact!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast