Neighborhood surveys / BWCs

Unregistered

Neighborhood surveys / BWCs

There is no way in helll we should ask for some random person for all their personal information on their door step just to populate a database (the real reason why we do it) only to link that person to a pointless interview of no value. That is a waste of our time and something we should not be put in a position to do just to fluff up a report. Citizens do not want to give us their personal info and shouldn't, ESPECIALLY if they are not a witness to a crime! Not to mention the obvious. We are too damn short handed to do pointless tasks just to make something look good. The “It only takes 5 minutes” factor is the god damn cancer of policing. 5 min here and 5 min there add up to hours. Plus holding calls, down reports, and non stop emergency calls. Not to mention a moronic outdated Calls for Service SOP that says we will complete all tasks by the end of the shift but also take calls to the end of the shift. The last damn second of the shift if you leave yourself open to these dispatchers. Have a long talk with just about any retired cop from any other agency than ours that have come to the HCSO and quit years after. They say the same thing about how we do things. We document a whole lot of nothing. Reporting by exception. “I didn’t do this, I didn’t do that, I didn’t find this, I couldn’t get that, I went to a house and he was not there”. Leave that for MDT comments. We should only officially document actions and items of positive value. Elements, evidence, and so on. Things that move the case forward. Cameras should not change that. Reports should carry the positive values leading to a charge or case closure. Not document EVERYTHING we do. This agency has lost all sight of what our job is and wastes a tremendous amount of time. Time we don’t have. Too many non front lines people working here trying to justify their pointless overpaid positions so they create pet projects and nit pick rules and tasks to look and feel important. Tasks that ultimately fall on the primary front lines first responders who are the lowest staffed compared to the job that they do. Start leading from a place of logic and maybe slow down the bleeding of people quitting. Here is a secret. Most are quitting because all the annoying pointless BS we are made to do without the time, staffing, or support. Maybe start fixing with small trivial things like this that actually go a long way for us in the actual field.

Unregistered
    Any leader that has been in our shoes long enough should know this and have the programing to defend us for doing it.