Health Insurance cost
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Health Insurance cost

I’m not seeing any significant changes in health insurance plans. I thought the city was robbing us of millions and we were going to see all these savings.

Unregistered
    The city has not released their rates for this year yet. What you saw was last years rate. The scuttlebut is that the cities rates will increase around 20 percent this year.

Unregistered
    And benefits are better cheaper co pays prescriptions and the first benefit use towards deductible that huge city never let us do that before. This is 1000 times better than what we’ve had with the city

Unregistered
    Does the Health Care Trust come with a Shaman because everyone talks about how magical this new plan is going to be.

Unregistered
    Lots of people are seeing double digits percentage increases in their healthcare rates year after year, so keeping premiums at last year's rates is likely going to reflect actual savings when the City announces their premiums for this year. In addition, out of pocket costs look to be lower almost across the board.

Those two things alone certainly don't account for the millions the PBA accused the City of making off of us, but the Trust is going to require an accumulation of funds over time to be viable. If it's done right, we could see some savings in the future once the pool of money in the Trust is determined to be enough by an actuary. Those savings could be in the form of lower premiums for active members and retirees.

All of that is, of course, completely dependant on how the Trust is managed. I don't know for certain that it will be managed properly, but I do know for certain that the City never would have even made lowering premiums a goal, let alone a reality.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does the Health Care Trust come with a Shaman because everyone talks about how magical this new plan is going to be.
    Good news you can go on the city plan and not be part of the trust. So no worries your all set.

Unregistered
    Good news you can go on the city plan and not be part of the trust. So no worries your all set.
    Yep. No Worries. I went with a private family plan back in April. I pay slightly more but get a lot more coverage than the HCT. The vision and dental coverage is better as well. Like the saying goes. You get what you pay for.

Unregistered
    Yep. No Worries. I went with a private family plan back in April. I pay slightly more but get a lot more coverage than the HCT. The vision and dental coverage is better as well. Like the saying goes. You get what you pay for.
    Can you post what private family plan so we can look it up??? Private insure paid fully on your own is “slightly” more expensive but better coverage I would like to know what company and the name of the plan see if it’s viable for my family.

Unregistered
    Can you post what private family plan so we can look it up??? Private insure paid fully on your own is “slightly” more expensive but better coverage I would like to know what company and the name of the plan see if it’s viable for my family.
    Your not going to get a reply. He is full of crap. If that were true then every retired person would do it. Every retired person I know shops around yearly for cheaper insurance and a single (not family) is over 700 a month. Not including dental vision etc. But I’ll check back later maybe I’m wrong.

Unregistered
    I’ll let you folks figure it out for yourselves like I did since you are all so smart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast