Federal Prison or working County
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Federal Prison or working County

Hey I am currently working at a federal prison but the drive and tolls are killing me. The money is really good but I am thinking working where I live will save me a lot of time and money, plus the retirement FRS is better than the feds. The tolls are currently costing me 320 a month plus the gas it takes to drive from Oviedo to Coleman. What is your experience working for the county? How is your training? And most importantly, what is the pay scale and how does it work? OT opportunities?

Unregistered
    Driving for Dominos would be a better option than working at JEPCF. This place is run by a civilian inmate lover who hates us in uniform, and she serves under a spineless Chick-Fil-A manager masquerading as a sheriff.

Don’t walk. RUN from this idea.

Unregistered
    What is the pay scale like? How often does the salary go up every year?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey I am currently working at a federal prison but the drive and tolls are killing me. The money is really good but I am thinking working where I live will save me a lot of time and money, plus the retirement FRS is better than the feds. The tolls are currently costing me 320 a month plus the gas it takes to drive from Oviedo to Coleman. What is your experience working for the county? How is your training? And most importantly, what is the pay scale and how does it work? OT opportunities?

Don’t do it. Too much stress.
    LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO WILL FLOOD THIS POST WITH HONEST FEEDBACKS.

Unregistered
    Why don’t you call our HR Dept instead of asking on here? It’s public record how much pay is and only one raise a year.,

Unregistered
    Why don’t you call our HR Dept instead of asking on here? It’s public record how much pay is and only one raise a year.,
    That wasn’t my only question in my post. I specifically asked that question because I have checked their website and it only states your pay when you are in the academy and after when you are certified. It doesn’t have a pay table like the federal government does and I wanted to see if in the long run my move from federal to county would even be worth it. Instead of being a smart ass, if you actually work for them why can’t you help someone out and share the information?

Unregistered
    That wasn’t my only question in my post. I specifically asked that question because I have checked their website and it only states your pay when you are in the academy and after when you are certified. It doesn’t have a pay table like the federal government does and I wanted to see if in the long run my move from federal to county would even be worth it. Instead of being a smart ass, if you actually work for them why can’t you help someone out and share the information?
    There is no STEP plan if that's what you are asking. If years past we were lucky to get our 3% raise each year. A couple years after not getting raises and falling even further behind everyone else in pay they adjusted starting up several thousand and gave out like 8-10% to people. But unless you promote you will never get any kind of decent pay jump at this agency.

Unregistered
    They don't have step increases like the FED system so as far as any increases it would most likely be 3% a year if you are lucky. There are no step increases, no annual raises or no cost of living allowance. The 3% which is somewhat of a norm would have to be agreed upon by the county commissioners after the sheriff would propose his budget for the new year. Being that Covid has put a hurt on Florida's tourism I can see where budget's statewide may be slashed in certain area's for both County and Cities which would most likely have an affect on the Seminole County Sheriff's Office which runs and controls the jail in Seminole County whereas the Orange County Sheriff's does not run the jail in Orange County.

I would suggest staying in the federal system while you can and maybe later on try to transfer to the Border Patrol or somewhere else federally. As far as retirement goes for Seminole County or any other agency in the FRS (Florida Retirement System) you would have to work 30 years to get a decent retirement.

Unregistered
    Thank you for the information. Not having a step plan is a deal breaker for me. I’m in the process for CBP but was trying to avoid moving to another state.

Unregistered
    Looks like a set up. Anyone smart enough to get info would contact HR. 3% is pretty much a guarantee except during the recession. People cry about anything. DL is trying to get average 5%. Honestly if you are unhappy you’ll be unhappy no matter where you go. And those within... I’m tired of your tears, man up and stand out and seek to strive and be better or just go away. The *****ing that is mostly done is by a bunch of rooks with no life experience and expect the world to give them everything on a silver platter. If you want to talk with HR talk to them. Speak with a deputy in person that isn’t t’d off because they aren’t getting their way. I personally wouldn’t work in our current jail but the past was far better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast