Once reluctant, Pinellas sheriff exploring body cameras for deputies - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    exactly. Half of the law enforcement agencies already have them or are testing them.
    i don’t care!!! We will get them
    or we wont. Eho cares?!?!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    i don’t care!!! We will get them
    or we wont. Eho cares?!?!
    Bob has the final say on body cams and nobody can do anything about it. The point is that Bob lied again because it suits his political career.

Unregistered
    Bob has the final say on body cams and nobody can do anything about it. The point is that Bob lied again because it suits his political career.
    Wait a minute I’m sure a departmental survey was put out and everyone voted yes for body cameras. Just like twelve hour shifts for road and DC personnel. It’s just a pilot program anyway. Wait until the first state attorney, congressman, local self appointed big shot is arrested and body camera was rolling. Watch how that video has to be subpoenaed instead of public info requested. Then somehow video is lost. But Bob will determine all of this. Good luck but what ever you do keep those cameras rolling and arrest anyone you can.

Unregistered
    Wait a minute I’m sure a departmental survey was put out and everyone voted yes for body cameras. Just like twelve hour shifts for road and DC personnel. It’s just a pilot program anyway. Wait until the first state attorney, congressman, local self appointed big shot is arrested and body camera was rolling. Watch how that video has to be subpoenaed instead of public info requested. Then somehow video is lost. But Bob will determine all of this. Good luck but what ever you do keep those cameras rolling and arrest anyone you can.
    To be fair I heard they were surprisingly more popular amongst newer Deputies than anticipated, but not a majority. I dont hate the idea but I honestly dont see the benefit either. You will be crucified with or without a body camera. Its just more appeasement for masses of dishonest brokers who simply want to burn our community down as a means to an end. I'm sure they would reduce some complaints...but get real. Theyre charging LEOs with murder even with mountains of exonerating evidence including body cameras. We now find out that even the great martyr George Floyd died of a fentanyl overdose, yet still the show goes on. If Car 1 is genuinely telling the truth, he just needs to stall till november when the national elections are over and the politicians switch to a new outrage to divide people into tribes for two more years.

That or we will have a good old fashioned civil war, in which case I'll probably call in sick.

Unregistered
    To be fair I heard they were surprisingly more popular amongst newer Deputies than anticipated, but not a majority. I dont hate the idea but I honestly dont see the benefit either. You will be crucified with or without a body camera. Its just more appeasement for masses of dishonest brokers who simply want to burn our community down as a means to an end. I'm sure they would reduce some complaints...but get real. Theyre charging LEOs with murder even with mountains of exonerating evidence including body cameras. We now find out that even the great martyr George Floyd died of a fentanyl overdose, yet still the show goes on. If Car 1 is genuinely telling the truth, he just needs to stall till november when the national elections are over and the politicians switch to a new outrage to divide people into tribes for two more years.

That or we will have a good old fashioned civil war, in which case I'll probably call in sick.
    Talk to anyone in DDC and ask how popular cameras are and how they are used to spy on deputies and write them up for stupid and trivial stuff. A tool which was advertised as a way to control inmates is being used to control deputies.

Unregistered
    We have them and they can’t be on all the time, too many privacy lawsuits would happen with bathroom and other stuff. They really hurt public interaction, but they protect us. Public opinion has gone down, but so have lawsuits.

The bad: No more warnings for anyone, no answering any citizen questions for liability reasons (not even giving directions and everything else is “call 211), no more small talk with citizens...I just tell them up front, “unless this is a law enforcement matter, our entire conversation is going to be recorded and open public record”...they leave. You have to be careful what you say and you learn to speak in a robotic monotone when the camera is on.

The good: It settles complaints and can be used for lawsuits against false complaints if your union is like ours and pursues those. It goes on the second a supervisor starts talking to me and it’s on inside the building unless it’s a briefing or intel.

No more witness statements, you tell them to speak into the camera while you stand emotionless and the report reads, “See camera footage for recorded witness statement”.

Reports are short. They tried to make us write long ones, but defense attorneys shredded us if they didn’t match exactly, so we played the videos and had transcription software just record the audio, so now reports are “yadda yadda see video”. Depos are “I have no independent recollection, see video” and after that 5 times they let you leave.

A lot more cases get tanked because victims and witnesses get off track and say dumb shit. You have to remind them while they talk to stick to facts, no personal conversation.

Use of force went up, because now it’s “Turn around, turn around, turn around” force. See I told him 3 times. Deescalation isn’t real talk anymore, it’s all robotic and going through the motions so they can see you said words.

In the end it cost the agency spent a shit ton and basically it made us drones and killed all rapport and plain talk with the citizens. But it’s what they want.

Unregistered
    We have them and they can’t be on all the time, too many privacy lawsuits would happen with bathroom and other stuff. They really hurt public interaction, but they protect us. Public opinion has gone down, but so have lawsuits.

The bad: No more warnings for anyone, no answering any citizen questions for liability reasons (not even giving directions and everything else is “call 211), no more small talk with citizens...I just tell them up front, “unless this is a law enforcement matter, our entire conversation is going to be recorded and open public record”...they leave. You have to be careful what you say and you learn to speak in a robotic monotone when the camera is on.

The good: It settles complaints and can be used for lawsuits against false complaints if your union is like ours and pursues those. It goes on the second a supervisor starts talking to me and it’s on inside the building unless it’s a briefing or intel.

No more witness statements, you tell them to speak into the camera while you stand emotionless and the report reads, “See camera footage for recorded witness statement”.

Reports are short. They tried to make us write long ones, but defense attorneys shredded us if they didn’t match exactly, so we played the videos and had transcription software just record the audio, so now reports are “yadda yadda see video”. Depos are “I have no independent recollection, see video” and after that 5 times they let you leave.

A lot more cases get tanked because victims and witnesses get off track and say dumb shit. You have to remind them while they talk to stick to facts, no personal conversation.

Use of force went up, because now it’s “Turn around, turn around, turn around” force. See I told him 3 times. Deescalation isn’t real talk anymore, it’s all robotic and going through the motions so they can see you said words.

In the end it cost the agency spent a shit ton and basically it made us drones and killed all rapport and plain talk with the citizens. But it’s what they want.
    It’s what the “citizens” want its not what “they” want. Fk the citizens and give them what they want. This work has changed and not for the good!!!!

Unregistered
    It’s what the “citizens” want its not what “they” want. Fk the citizens and give them what they want. This work has changed and not for the good!!!!
    Publix is hiring?

Unregistered
    Publix is hiring?
    Publix, Walmart, etc have had store cameras for many years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12